Beverly Hills Cop (1984) Rewatch 39 years later.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
It had been a really long time since either of us had seen this movie.
I was 19 years old when it came out.
How does it stand up? Well, Eddie Murphy in this role is still funny... but that is about it.
It is campy, overly simple and at times down right dumb. The plot is so unrealistic, it seems as if a 10 year old wrote parts of it.
Leaving you to wonder - how in the world was this such a huge hit that became a franchise of it's own?

How does it stand up? Well, Eddie Murphy in this role is still funny... but that is about it.
It is campy, overly simple and at times down right dumb. The plot is so unrealistic, it seems as if a 10 year old wrote parts of it.
Leaving you to wonder - how in the world was this such a huge hit that became a franchise of it's own?
Murphy was very popular at the time, so a campy movie featuring him in a lead role like that worked....the supporting cast of bumbling detectives, tough captain....despicable villain...all worked well and resulted in spinoffs.

Murphy was very popular at the time, so a campy movie featuring him in a lead role like that worked....the supporting cast of bumbling detectives, tough captain....despicable villain...all worked well and resulted in spinoffs.
It may just be that people are more demanding today, and not so easy to look past pretty sorry story telling.
Take the movie Jaws.
It's special effects literally made some people so shocked, they left the theater. They couldn't take it.
Today, if you watch Jaws - it is so obviously a mechanical device that it is laughable. Yet in 1975, audiences were absolutely shocked at the realism.

As my children were growing up .. and I introduced them to some of the "awesome" shows and movies I watched as a kid .. I learned quickly that it's best to let these sleeping dogs ... sleep. The Six Million Dollar Man was such a let down when re-watching it in the mid 2000s with my kids.

As my children were growing up .. and I introduced them to some of the "awesome" shows and movies I watched as a kid .. I learned quickly that it's best to let these sleeping dogs ... sleep. The Six Million Dollar Man was such a let down when re-watching it in the mid 2000s with my kids.
When my son was 7 or 8 years old, we started to watch an episode of the 60s TV show Batman. I thought it was an awesome show when I was a kid.
My God how bad the show was.

Lots of classics from the 80s are unwatchable today. Or, not worth rewatching. Let me think of some oldies that might still be good.

Weird science. Would it be as good as I remember?

Stripes wasn’t as good a second time.

Young guns is still good. But would Lost Boys be as good? Probably not.

Trading Places? With Jamie Lee Curtis? Funny I’m watching a show about the unexplained right now hosted by Dan akroid.

It may just be that people are more demanding today, and not so easy to look past pretty sorry story telling.
Take the movie Jaws.
It's special effects literally made some people so shocked, they left the theater. They couldn't take it.
Today, if you watch Jaws - it is so obviously a mechanical device that it is laughable. Yet in 1975, audiences were absolutely shocked at the realism.
True about the technology, but the acting made that movie stand the test of time....Robert Shaw is fantastic.

Lots of classics from the 80s are unwatchable today. Or, not worth rewatching. Let me think of some oldies that might still be good.

Weird science. Would it be as good as I remember?

Stripes wasn’t as good a second time.

Young guns is still good. But would Lost Boys be as good? Probably not.

Trading Places? With Jamie Lee Curtis? Funny I’m watching a show about the unexplained right now hosted by Dan akroid.
Trading places actually holds up decently. Yes a bit campy, but much better than Beverly Hills Cop.

Stripes - I agree, I rewatched it maybe 10 years ago or so and didn't even finish it.

Breakfast Club has held up very well. A bit pretentious, but still solid.

Another one was "Fletch"... probably saw it in a theater during a date, I remember liking this movie a lot.
Rented it on VHS at some point and - yeah... stupid.

But shows like Combat are still great in reruns....original Hawaii Five-O also. There are others that I still watch all the time....Mission Impossible, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Rifleman, Emergency.....the Fugitive original series....all great. and much better than some of the stupid crap on tv now.

Take the movie Jaws.
I miss really good movies. They don’t exist anymore. What was the last really good movie you saw at the theater?

Today the shit people are watching on net flicks is so low budget, slow, boring. But my neighbors and friends lov3 all those b movies. I don’t get it.

Trading places actually holds up decently. Yes a bit campy, but much better than Beverly Hills Cop.

Stripes - I agree, I rewatched it maybe 10 years ago or so and didn't even finish it.

Another one was "Fletch"... probably saw it in a theater during a date, I remember liking this movie a lot.
I was going to say breakfast club. And I never liked fletch. I liked Chevy in caddy shack but mostly I can’t stand him. How about caddy shack? I bet it’s not as funny. Ted Knight. Why did they give him a sitcom? I watch old movies I never see him in anything before he had that show. It was set in San fran and Monroe was clearly gay but they never said it. Remember that show? He had two daughters and a wife and I think he drew cartoons for the paper.

The biggest problem for the original Fletch movies is, they were miscast. I read all the books, Chevy Chase was not the right for the role, he was not Fletch. It is an example of casting popular over talented.

Give the new movie, Confess Fletch, a try. Jon Hamm is much better in the role than Chase ever thought to be.

Last edited:
I miss really good movies. They don’t exist anymore. What was the last really good movie you saw at the theater?

Today the shit people are watching on net flicks is so low budget, slow, boring. But my neighbors and friends lov3 all those b movies. I don’t get it.
Good movies still exist, but wokism and messaging has ruined so many that could have been good.
Take Revenant. Gorgeously shot in amazing scenery and use of lighting, that it is almost worth watching for that alone.
Some people say the movie moves to slow and overdoes the torturous journey that Hugh Glass actually did do in the 1820s. But he actually did make the journey pretty close to how the movie portrayed it

I re watched "Major League" a couple of weeks ago and it held up OK. However, most of the big hits from the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s just can't keep my interest for long as a re-watch.

Stripes kinda holds up but to me Gostbusters didn't

I can hardly stand to watch any old sitcom but then again I don't like the ones now so maybe that is not a valid criticism.

Three older movies I can watch over and over again are Red Dawn, Predator and Terminator.

The Graduate was such a big hit back in the day but is hardy watchable for me nowadays. 2001? Forget it.

I think Doctor Zhivago held up pretty good for being the spectacular it was.

I remember a comedy that was a big hit in the day; "Looks Who Talking". With Travolta and Krista Alley. Big hit that had two spin offs. My wife turned it on the other day and I watched a little with her and thought this movie did not age well.

I re watched "Major League" a couple of weeks ago and it held up OK. However, most of the big hits from the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s just can't keep my interest for long as a re-watch.

Stripes kinda holds up but to me Gostbusters didn't

I can hardly stand to watch any old sitcom but then again I don't like the ones now so maybe that is not a valid criticism.

Three older movies I can watch over and over again are Red Dawn, Predator and Terminator.

The Graduate was such a big hit back in the day but is hardy watchable for me nowadays. 2001? Forget it.

I think Doctor Zhivago held up pretty good for being the spectacular it was.

I remember a comedy that was a big hit in the day; "Looks Who Talking". With Travolta and Krista Alley. Big hit that had two spin offs. My wife turned it on the other day and I watched a little with her and thought this movie did not age well.
Predator and Terminator both hold up well.
Rambo... I thought that was somewhat, sort of okay at the time but the follow ups were beyond bad.
The Money Pit is watchable, it gets a little tiresome a few times but is still funny.
The Burbs is another Hanks comedy that hold up pretty well.

I enjoyed it and will still watch it if it comes on.
Eddie Murphy at his best
I hear they have a sequel coming out next year

For BreaKing Bad/Better Call Saul fans
Mike Ehrmantraut/Jonathan Banks

1703255465508.jpeg

1703255650697.jpeg

It was meant to be campy and simple. It's a comedy, not serious detective drama.

At least it had a vague plot, unlike so many movies today with virtually none.

You're gonna love this:

Forum List

Back