Best or worst movies of the year.

Raynestorm

Steeltowngirl
Oct 15, 2009
WY
List the ones you loved and the ones you thought were a waste of plastic.

In no particular order...

1) Star Trek This one was a blast from beginning to end. Loved it all the way. The writers did a good job of covering traditional back story (like where 'Bones' got his name), exploring new territory (blowing up Vulcan), working in traditional gags (like killing the guy that went down to the planet in red), mixing in action, comedy and some drama, too. Best movie I saw all year. It was a hoot watching Kirk actually beat the Korbi-ashi Maru test! As a trekkie I always wanted to see that.

2) Zombieland. Though some refused to see it because they thought it would be a remake of "Shaun of the Dead", it wasn't. It was a wonderful movie. Great balance between gore and comedy. Woody Harrelson turns in a great performance as what every guy would be like if he survived. Second best movie I saw all year.

3) Harry Potter and the HBP. Harry lovers panned it because it didn't follow the book to the ink but get over it. It's called creative license and writer of the books was in on it. The adaptations they made were done for good reasons. Darkest Harry Potter yet but it will get darker with the last two movies.

The Hangover
Inglorious Bastards
curious case of benjamin button

worst movies

mike moore bullshit movie
men who stare at goats (what an awful fucking movie)
transformers

The Hangover
Inglorious Bastards
curious case of benjamin button

worst movies

mike moore bullshit movie
men who stare at goats (what an awful fucking movie)
transformers

Benjamin Button was 2008. :eusa_whistle:

I would know, it was the last movie I saw in theaters. :lol:

3) Harry Potter and the HBP. Harry lovers panned it because it didn't follow the book to the ink but get over it. It's called creative license and writer of the books was in on it. The adaptations they made were done for good reasons. Darkest Harry Potter yet but it will get darker with the last two movies.

The problems were more than what was lost from page to screen. After building up the threat of Voldemort for 2 movies, HBP was essentially a teenage romance film with little punch to it. It was the worst of the Potter films to date, but sadly still better than most of the films of the year.

As for the best:

Star Trek: One of the best films I saw in the theaters this year.

District 9: Hard to believe this film even got made, but it was pretty solid.

Worst:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Some of the issues the film has could be fixed by creative editing (I'm looking at you Skids and Mudflap). The real problem with the film is that the plot is just terrible. Megatron is revived from the dead before Optimus Prime dies on screen, completely undercutting the whole movie. The film has some serious structural issues that no amount of editing can fix.

Didn't see much else this year. It was a low count for movies for me. I expect that in a few weeks Avatar will start showing up in either the best or worst films lists for 2009. That one seems like it will either be an epic level dud or an epic level blockbuster.

worse: save me from that fucking sparking vampire shit....

best: this year movies just sucked....i would be hard pressed to really think of a good movie i have seen this year....zombieland was higly overrated...imho...

Best, in order:

Up - Pixar delivers again.
District 9 - Great story-telling, memorable performances, great special effects without being overdone.
Where the Wild Things Are - Call me a hipster all you want, this movie had raw emotion. Loved it.
Harry Potter and the HBP - Solid movie, not a bad adaptation, a bit too much romance however.
Away We Go - John Krasinki from The Office gives a great performance, and it's a nice story.
The Hangover - It's what I call "filthy" humor, but they were able to do it without being immature.

Worst, in order:

Inglourious Basterds - I love Tarantino, and he can call this his masterpiece until he's blue in the face. I didn't like it.
The Proposal - Awkward choices for actors. Bullock is aged, and Reynolds does not fit well into the romantic comedy (see: Definitely, Maybe). Also, the ending was just too far-fetched.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - I literally only watched 10 minutes. When the toaster started to come alive, I turned it off.
G. I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra - I don't have to see it to know it sucks complete ass, that's how bad it is. I at least gave Transformers 10 minutes of my time.
New Moon - See above, except note that I have read the book. The book was awful, the actors are awful, the first movie was awful, and the reviews for this movie are awful. That's all the evidence I need.

However, I think the best movies of the year are yet to be seen:
1. Avatar
2. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
3. The Lovely Bones

Why was this movie written? The plot is a basic, in your face, crock of crap that is been shoved down the movie goer's throats. :cuckoo:

However, Christov Waltz :clap2: is in a league of his own. One gets the feel that this character can see through walls, and read minds. Waltz makes this movie as good as it can be. Without him the movie with me a total waste of time, which is really is regardless. One other shimmer of hope for this flick, Martin Wuttke. He too brought some reality to the screen. His portrayal of Adolf Hitler was about as good as it gets.

Brad pit?? Just another stooge for the Weinstein clan. Pit should hookup with Daniel Craig. The two could swap stories on how to be kiss asses to the movie moguls.

How the hell are you suppose to read the subtitles when they blast by so fast? Tarentino? Another dummy. Pulp Fiction sucks.

Last edited:
2 hours I'll never get back watching that one. Everyone said it was so hilarious...

I liked Up in the Air and The Blind Side.

Forum List

Back