Best choice for a laptop?

Linux is not perfect. There is no perfect operating system. Linux is more secure than Windows. That is a fact. That doesn't mean that a person can't ever get a virus. It is rare though. And should that occur, it is easily taken care of, versus a machine with Windows.

The popularity of Windows does play a role in it being a target. I don't believe anyone has denied the obvious. But, Windows takes the hits it does, because of how the OS is coded. From the start, Windows has been about 'patching' flaws in its OS, instead of writing better code to make a more secure OS to begin with. Microsoft releases problem software knowing that the public (as a whole) will continue to put up with a crappy product, just because it is popular. They keep recreating a patched OS with shiny eye candy, and people keep flocking to it.

Would you knowingly go out and buy a brand new car with numerous problems, knowing that you will have to spend more money to get the known problems fixed, even though they should have been fixed to begin with? No rationale person would conduct business that way. But when it comes to Windows, it happens every day, and Microsoft, as well as many other companies are getting rich off a consumer that is either ignorant, or just too lazy to care.

Windows is fancy bloatware that needs several third party applications to try and plug holes, so that the computer doesn't become completely taken over by the nasties found in cyberspace. If Microsoft wrote better code, lots of their own people would be out of jobs, along with a lot of third party protection apps etc. They can't and won't have that happen. So, like the government, they keep making promises they know they can't keep, because the public has allowed itself to become too dependent on a crappy product and crappy customer no service.

For the average adult person who is not into heavy gaming and architecture / graphic intense programs, Linux can serve their general needs just fine, while being faster and more secure than Windows has ever been.

In Linux, you have the power and ability to configure your OS just the way you want it, without all the disk fragmenting bloatware code to worry about. You don't have to shell out money for a firewall, spyware prevention, and all the other program subscription. The average person can save at least $100.00 a year, by using Linux, not to mention not having to pay for the OS to begin with. Throw the OS into the mix, and the savings is several hundred dollars a year.

The installation of Linux is very short and simple, compared to Windows. Linux can be cleanly installed in 20 minutes or less, whereas Windows is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, not including the numerous update files once Windows has installed.

With the installation of Linux, I don't have to worry about the serial key and having it authenticated by Microsoft. I can install any flavor of Linux I want on any machine I want as many times as I want, without having to seek any permission first.

With the installation of Linux, I don't have to worry about my hard drive getting fragmented like it did with Windows. Which, if truth be told, didn't take long. And I don't miss having to turn the defragment program on and let it run for several hours.

With Linux, I don't have to worry about paying for customer no service from India or the like. If I have a problem or question, I can get the answer for free, and a lot faster from people that know a lot more than me about coding.

If a person needs to run a Windows application, that can be done most of the time in Linux.

Linux is not for everyone, But, as a whole, I believe the advantages of using Linux outweigh any advantages found in using Windows. There are many different flavors of Linux that are very easy to use, especially if one has never used Linux before.

I've been playing around learning Ubuntu with the idea of replacing all my Windows OSs. Currently I'm configuring for dual boots so if there is anything I need to do that Linux won't handle I can go back to Windows.
So far I love Ubutu/Linux.

Excellent Ringel. Ubuntu is very good. In my opinion, Linux Mint 7 is even better. Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. Soon you will be Windows free. ;)

Download - Linux Mint

Last edited:
Oh, and Sho.. I don't know what that crack was about people switching back to Wndows after Linux is installed, but... No. You don't get that kind of income by having someone come behind you and redo your work.

Oh, and side jobs run $175 an hour, and word of mouth travels fast and well, so again, you're full of it.

Oh, and Sho.. I don't know what that crack was about people switching back to Wndows after Linux is installed, but... No. You don't get that kind of income by having someone come behind you and redo your work.

Oh, and side jobs run $175 an hour, and word of mouth travels fast and well, so again, you're full of it.

Many companies prefer to hire us freelancers over those corporate wage slave techies, we seem to get the job done right the first time more often and only get calls for maintenance or upgrades.

Many companies prefer to hire us freelancers over those corporate wage slave techies, we seem to get the job done right the first time more often and only get calls for maintenance or upgrades.

He runs the IT dept for a 2 million dollar company, and does side jobs just for kicks, on both personal computers, and other companies systems...

Between what I know as fact, and Sho's "links", guess whose word I'm going to take? :cool:

He runs the IT dept for a 2 million dollar company, and does side jobs just for kicks, on both personal computers, and other companies systems...

Between what I know as fact, and Sho's "links", guess whose word I'm going to take? :cool:

Okay, so he's a more successful freelancer. :razz:

The big difference is why people get into the career. I kind of got drafted, can't work my chosen career and so my passion got turned into my new one. The mentality of a freelancer is "what works best is more important than what is most popular". You know I'm bad with wording ... I just hope I am clear with what I am saying now. :lol:

The big difference is why people get into the career. I kind of got drafted, can't work my chosen career and so my passion got turned into my new one. The mentality of a freelancer is "what works best is more important than what is most popular". You know I'm bad with wording ... I just hope I am clear with what I am saying now. :lol:

I think he came out of the womb with a computer...who knows. Just always had a knack for it.

I think he came out of the womb with a computer...who knows. Just always had a knack for it.

I'm the same way, everyone knew what I would do for a living before I would be willing to accept it. I learned everything just by playing with them when I was I too young to remember. I still remember when I first saw a computer though ... the awe, the sudden love for the machines ... I never learned the "technical" terms for things, so explaining them is a challenge to me, I just know how to do it.

Most of the people who learn everything in school instead of having the natural appeal and knack for computers talk big, but deep down just don't really understand the machines.

I'm the same way, everyone knew what I would do for a living before I would be willing to accept it. I learned everything just by playing with them when I was I too young to remember. I still remember when I first saw a computer though ... the awe, the sudden love for the machines ... I never learned the "technical" terms for things, so explaining them is a challenge to me, I just know how to do it.

Most of the people who learn everything in school instead of having the natural appeal and knack for computers talk big, but deep down just don't really understand the machines.

He tried a computer course once I'd say about 15 years ago.. Bored him silly.. His "schooling" is a bachelors in business management which is "just in case he decides to get away from computers." :eusa_eh:

He tried a computer course once I'd say about 15 years ago.. Bored him silly.. His "schooling" is a bachelors in business management which is "just in case he decides to get away from computers." :eusa_eh:

Good backup though, business management relies a lot on computer expertise now, and it helps to save money if you know how to tell when a techie is trying to scam your company, which is just good across the board. :lol:

Good backup though, business management relies a lot on computer expertise now, and it helps to save money if you know how to tell when a techie is trying to scam your company, which is just good across the board. :lol:

No shit.. The company his mother works for (non-profit womens agency) had to have someone come in and put their entire system together (couldn't have J do it - nepotism and all).. They gave the agency a quote of $9500... They showed him the quote, and he started laughing.. Whole thing cost $3600. Installed.

So much for nepotism. :D (Oh, and they certainly didn't go back out and hire someone different to undo everything he did. Been running pretty much flawlessly for years, Sho.)

When you do make the switch, save all your Windoze drivers in case you want to run Windoze software afterward. Once you install Wine just copy the DLLs into the Wine system folder and you're good to go. ;) However, you shouldn't need Windoze ever again unless you run video games that haven't been cracked or allow their code to GNU programmers.

Thanks but, huh?
I know the terms but that's about it. I'm 55 and I didn't touch my 1st computer till 92. Didn't buy one until 96 which means I'm basically a point and click kinda user. What I know I know from messing up 4 computers, accidentally deleting hidden system files on one and frying one (no surge protector). We won't talk about the other two.
I can take em apart and put them back together again but knowing where to locate the drivers, etc. I really don't know. Hell, I finally just updated my computers from 2000 to XP earlier this year.
This is my challenge with Linux. My software knowledge is limited, actually tried it once a little over a year ago and was so frustrated I gave it up (attempting to utilize Wine to run Win software). I'm giving it a second chance and I have one of the books I downloaded to help me this time. I have it on two of my older computers (desk top and laptop) and have installed XP in Virtual Box, a little slow on the older computers but it works, sorta.
I am a game lover so I keep the dual boot setup for now.

Excellent Ringel. Ubuntu is very good. In my opinion, Linux Mint 7 is even better. Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. Soon you will be Windows free. ;)

Download - Linux Mint

Thanks I'll check it out. Eventually Windows free is what I want. My wife has Vista on her HP Media Center(came that way) and I hate it but she doesn't mind and has no desire to change to a non-windows platform. I guess I'll have to eventually get her Win 7. I'm running two older(reconfigured as much as I could) Dell desktops but never again, from now on I build my own. I can build a $3000 unit for under $400, it would be stupid not to.

When you do make the switch, save all your Windoze drivers in case you want to run Windoze software afterward. Once you install Wine just copy the DLLs into the Wine system folder and you're good to go. ;) However, you shouldn't need Windoze ever again unless you run video games that haven't been cracked or allow their code to GNU programmers.

Thanks but, huh?
I know the terms but that's about it. I'm 55 and I didn't touch my 1st computer till 92. Didn't buy one until 96 which means I'm basically a point and click kinda user. What I know I know from messing up 4 computers, accidentally deleting hidden system files on one and frying one (no surge protector). We won't talk about the other two.
I can take em apart and put them back together again but knowing where to locate the drivers, etc. I really don't know. Hell, I finally just updated my computers from 2000 to XP earlier this year.
This is my challenge with Linux. My software knowledge is limited, actually tried it once a little over a year ago and was so frustrated I gave it up (attempting to utilize Wine to run Win software). I'm giving it a second chance and I have one of the books I downloaded to help me this time. I have it on two of my older computers (desk top and laptop) and have installed XP in Virtual Box, a little slow on the older computers but it works, sorta.
I am a game lover so I keep the dual boot setup for now.

Well, then unless you play games on your computer, you won't need to worry about it. ;)

As for Linux, with limited knowledge Ubuntu is my personal recommendation if you play with Linux. Linux is also pretty dummy proof, in spite of what people say, it's really hard to accidentally delete your system files.

Well, then unless you play games on your computer, you won't need to worry about it. ;)

As for Linux, with limited knowledge Ubuntu is my personal recommendation if you play with Linux. Linux is also pretty dummy proof, in spite of what people say, it's really hard to accidentally delete your system files.

That's what I was told about windows. :lol:
Not to worry, that is one mistake I'll never make again, besides, I back up all my important stuff on dvd and I have no problem reloading an OS. In reality there is a lot I know but there is a whole lot I haven't learned yet, mainly because I haven't been forced to.:lol:

That's what I was told about windows. :lol:
Not to worry, that is one mistake I'll never make again, besides, I back up all my important stuff on dvd and I have no problem reloading an OS. In reality there is a lot I know but there is a whole lot I haven't learned yet, mainly because I haven't been forced to.:lol:

I know, but with Linux it's actually true. When you install you choose a "super user" password, and in order to access the system directories you have to enter it in each time, keeps you from messing up as well as prevents virus' from being installed without your permission. You don't have to learn the directory chmods to use most distros now, before the fancy desktops you had to, which was confusing when you are use to Windoze. But now the desktop environments set all that up for you automatically. Just don't change the permissions until you know what you're doing and it stays secure. Ubuntu has a decent learning curve now, you don't have to get into the technical stuff until you're ready, but you can still customize everything easily. You can make it look exactly like Windoze even, or Mac, or ... anything, with just a few mouse clicks. Plus you can install new looks very easily from the Gnome Looks website for free, which makes it cool. When you get into the technical side you can redesign everything with ease, after you learn the basics at least. I started working with Linux when I first got into web design, since all the hosts use Linux or Unix (same commands) so I had a head start with Ubuntu.

If you knew anything about computers, you'd know just how stupid your "points" are. You can't get a virus in Linux unless you're completely stupid, period. Also it doesn't randomly crash .... again unless you are stupid. Thanks for proving you are stupid. I tried being reasonable with you on this, but until you actually use Linux for several months you have no clue what you are talking about. There are thousands of games available for Limux (Ubuntu is Linux moron) and burn CD (integrated already so you don't even need an applet for that), access any MS document, any audio or video file, make video and audio, graphics, websites without downloading huge server packages, etc.. Learn something Shogut.

Again, bitch, IM THE ONE posting evidence. Your opinion of my cpu background means two things this side of your absolute refusal to do more than act self righeous: jack and shit.

here, you stupid bitch. Notice whose forum this is.
Can Linux get Virus's? - Ubuntu Forums

See, you fat bitch, this is what we call EVIDENCE.. Say it with me EV ID EN CE. One doesn't have to be any more stupid to get a linux virus than an MS virus; the midigating factor is the popularity of the OS, not some kind of superman imperviousness. Hell, you might want to take a fucking refresher course if THIS is the kind of stupid shit you seem to think is true.

Thousands of pansy ass flash games is not anything close to what games people want to play. You'd admit that if you weren't using your copy of ubunto for a dildo.

NO SHIT UBUNTU IS LINUX. WHERE DID I SUGGEST OTHERWISE, FAT ASS?

:rofl:

seriously. Your Best Buy Geek Squad level of cpu kung fu is almost not even worth mentioning to people.

Did you miss this point in that forum?

"Yes, but they're so rare it's negligible. It's not a big concern. Just don't download anything that you don't already know what it is, and don't open strange attachments in your email."

Though the "strange attachments" isn't right, you still have to click an "install" button and enter your password to actually install a virus. You'd know that if you knew how to use Linux. They did a video mocking Windoze about this, "how to get a virus" ... seriously, if you know Linux you wouldn't be this stupid. Now, stop being an idiot.

Same with Mac

Again, bitch, IM THE ONE posting evidence. Your opinion of my cpu background means two things this side of your absolute refusal to do more than act self righeous: jack and shit.

here, you stupid bitch. Notice whose forum this is.
Can Linux get Virus's? - Ubuntu Forums

See, you fat bitch, this is what we call EVIDENCE.. Say it with me EV ID EN CE. One doesn't have to be any more stupid to get a linux virus than an MS virus; the midigating factor is the popularity of the OS, not some kind of superman imperviousness. Hell, you might want to take a fucking refresher course if THIS is the kind of stupid shit you seem to think is true.

Thousands of pansy ass flash games is not anything close to what games people want to play. You'd admit that if you weren't using your copy of ubunto for a dildo.

NO SHIT UBUNTU IS LINUX. WHERE DID I SUGGEST OTHERWISE, FAT ASS?

seriously. Your Best Buy Geek Squad level of cpu kung fu is almost not even worth mentioning to people.

Did you miss this point in that forum?

"Yes, but they're so rare it's negligible. It's not a big concern. Just don't download anything that you don't already know what it is, and don't open strange attachments in your email."

Though the "strange attachments" isn't right, you still have to click an "install" button and enter your password to actually install a virus. You'd know that if you knew how to use Linux. They did a video mocking Windoze about this, "how to get a virus" ... seriously, if you know Linux you wouldn't be this stupid. Now, stop being an idiot.

Same with Mac

I'll take your word for it, since I have little experience with the modern Macs I can't speak on them as much. ;)

Summer's coming - I want something portable, so I can lounge around outside...

Any suggestions on laptops? Looking at maybe a Sony Vaio, mostly for reliability sake..

Internet, email, photos, and messaging is pretty much all I use it for.

I'm looking too. here notebookforums.com

Already bought one almost a month ago.. :)

Oh, and Sho.. All the name-calling in the world, and links to other peoples words does not make you right. It simply makes you a loudmouth. Until you actually work with it, you simply have no idea... You left out what you do for a living... Is it because you don't work with computers in any depth, except as an end user?

(Look, Ma! No swearing, or name-calling! It CAN be done.)

yea! EVIDENCE sure is worthless like that!

:thup:

hey, post your evidence and I'll REPOST mine. talking shit as if you have a clue just doesn't impress me.

:thup:

Forum List

Back