Best choice for a laptop?

D

Dis

Summer's coming - I want something portable, so I can lounge around outside...

Any suggestions on laptops? Looking at maybe a Sony Vaio, mostly for reliability sake..

Internet, email, photos, and messaging is pretty much all I use it for.

Last edited by a moderator:
thinkpad's good, dell inspiron i use now has been pretty reliable. i haven't owned a sony box in awhile, but when i had one it worked just fine.

dell customer service has been close to outstanding in my experience. of course, the fact that i've had to deal with customer service might be a problem.

Any suggestions on laptops? Looking at maybe a Sony Vaio, mostly for reliability sake..

Check out REPC in Seattle. I've got two lap tops and four working desktops. They were all used and none cost more than $200. They all work flawlessly.

However, in the past 4 years, I have purchased 4 laptops, a desktop, and a server (with three hard drives) from Dell, and 4 of the 8 hard drives failed within the first week and had to be replaced.

But after that...everything has been great!

However, in the past 4 years, I have purchased 4 laptops, a desktop, and a server (with three hard drives) from Dell, and 4 of the 8 hard drives failed within the first week and had to be replaced.

But after that...everything has been great!

Dell is a flat-out no for me.. A) I don't like being confined to a single brand for upgrades, and repairs. 2) I detest having to deal with "customer service". Most times *I* have more knowledge than those chair warmers...

I was looking at one of these:

MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.

• The Latest Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology
• Windows Vista® Home Premium
(MSI recommends upgrade to Windows Vista® Business)
• 17" ACV (Amazing Crystal Vision) Display
• nVIDIA 9300M GS Graphic Card with 256MB VRAM
• MSI Exclusive ECO Engine Power Management System
• Theater Class 4.1 Channel Surround Effect and Subwoofer Recognized and Approved by Second Generation Dolby® Surround
• HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Output
• Featuring the Latest E- SATA Support
• Built-In 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam

About $1600 here so would be cheaper in the US.

This looks kinda pretty...

Ferrari 1100

The Ferrari 1100 takes ultra-portability into the fast lane. Driven by the revolutionary performance of dual-core processing power and wrapped in an exclusive, ultra-lightweight case, the Ferrari 1100 combines the unique style of racing innovation with leading-edge mobile technology to bring your digital media to life wherever you go.

As for Asus.. I'm not opposed to an EEEPC, either.. They're awfully cute, and talk about portable... T'would fit right in my purse if need be. :D

Ferrari 1100

The Ferrari 1100 takes ultra-portability into the fast lane. Driven by the revolutionary performance of dual-core processing power and wrapped in an exclusive, ultra-lightweight case, the Ferrari 1100 combines the unique style of racing innovation with leading-edge mobile technology to bring your digital media to life wherever you go.

As for Asus.. I'm not opposed to an EEEPC, either.. They're awfully cute, and talk about portable... T'would fit right in my purse if need be. :D

The Eee PC didn't have enough power for me. I got the X836V for $550 at Best Buy. Here's a review:

Guntarioism: Asus X83V-X1 Review

I like my MacBook. I'm not any kind of computer whiz so I'm basically using it for the basics, and I like it much better than my desktop pc.

Ferrari 1100

The Eee PC didn't have enough power for me. I got the X836V for $550 at Best Buy. Here's a review:

Says Vista is mandatory, tho. :evil: That still true?

Then go cheap. 10 year old technology works for that.

Ferrari 1100

Says Vista is mandatory, tho. :evil: That still true?

Unfortunately, yes. It's not as bad on a laptop as I thought it would be. There are several things you can do to make it more XP-like, so I'm happy with it now. And I have to admit there are some nice features in Vista. My next desktop will use Windows 7.

Vaio is an excellent choice, with a dual boot of Windoze/Ubuntu it would be sweet. I like their keyboards on those laptops better than most. I have Compaqs, 2 of them, and they last forever (except the 2000-2005 models), very reliable machines, one is from 1994 ... the plastic is dissolving but it still works.

summer's coming - i want something portable, so i can lounge around outside...

Any suggestions on laptops? Looking at maybe a sony vaio, mostly for reliability sake..

Internet, email, photos, and messaging is pretty much all i use it for.

macbook!!!

Forum List

Back