Because the Job of the Federal Government

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by William Joyce, Dec 1, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Is to keep candy from kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/u...8Y4f/izOLCAYYNSQ&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Federal lawmakers are considering the broadest effort ever to limit what children eat: a national ban on selling candy, sugary soda and salty, fatty food in school snack bars, vending machines and à la carte cafeteria lines.

Whether the measure, an amendment to the farm bill, can survive the convoluted politics that have bogged down that legislation in the Senate is one issue. Whether it can survive the battle among factions in the fight to improve school food is another.

Senator Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa and the chairman of the Agriculture Committee, has twice before introduced bills to deal with foods other than the standard school lunch, which is regulated by Department of Agriculture.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,354
    And of course our federal losers know best. Is there anything that they can keep their corrup hands out of.

3. Alucard

Alucard VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Its friggin nuts... We sent cupcakes to scool on my 10 year olds birthday and we were told it was an unhealthy snack so it could not be distributed...

Its typical liberal bullshit... because there are three fat kids in a class of 25 no one can have sweets... WTF!

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    You assume it's a "liberal" think. But here, it's our republican mayor who likes outlawing food. Ah well...

Me, I say make the kids take gym and give them back recess... they'll get thinner. *shrug*

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I always thought monitoring what children ate was the responsibility of parents, but liberal teachers/professors are indoctrinating our children in public schools on how they should think, so this is just a reasonable next step.

It's easier for the lame brains in Washington to concern themselves with an issue like what our kids are eating than coming up with solutions for an astronomical national debt, outrageous trade imbalances, alternative energy sources, immigration, loss of good-paying jobs/manufacturing, etc.--you know, the kinds of problems we sent them to Washington to address. :rolleyes:

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Again, here it's our republican mayor.

But I do so love the partisan hacks when they start to whine instead of actually discussing what's appropriate, etc.

7. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Well, Jillian, let's hear your opinion of what is "appropriate" on this particular issue. Since your mayor is a California Republican of the liberal bent (that is, a RINO), I don't think it is at all unusual for him to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Actually, my mayor is Michael Bloomberg. And last I heard, he was a NY'er and not from Cali. But there ya go.

I already said what I thought was appropriate. Make sure the kids have recess to run around and make sure they do gym. And parents should get their kids off their lazy butts and away from the computer and video games.

That said, no, I don't think kids should be able to buy snacks/soda at school. They should eat the lunch their parents send them or the school lunch without being able to add to it.

That answer your question?

And tell me, was Nixon a RINO? Or was he a normal repub and not like the loonies who have hijacked the party?

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Hijack? You mean like the far left Liberals have done to the Democratic party? Your party forced Lieberman out and he won anyway. Don't talk about Republicans when your house is made of glass.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Lieberman isn't a dem. Or do you think Dems should all be rabid righties?

If you have something to contribute to the thread, that's cool. If not, I can't be bothered.

Again, was Nixon a RINO? And don't you think physical fitness is important for kids?

I'll wait.