Be Honest: There is only one real reason to need to carry a gun.

FEAR

Seriously. Think about it. If there was no FEAR of being robbed and/or assaulted there is no reason to carry a gun, right?

We buy auto insurance and wear seat belts because we FEAR that at some point in time we may be involved in an accident. (Ok, and in most cases the law requires it and we fear getting a ticket too.)

Hey!! I'm not knocking it. Illinois will soon finally join everyone else in passing a CC law. When we do that I will get one so I can carry it in any areas known for high crime rates. But since I don't FEAR being robbed and/or assaulted in my small hometown I don't feel the need to carry it around.

Now I also realize that there are those who simply want to carry one around like a playtoy. But I suspect that they are simply making up for other "shortcomings".

So if anyone disagrees that FEAR is the primary motivation to carry a gun please explain why it's not.

again... need vs. want.

Most who need to carry a gun... have good reason to carry a gun.

Then you have those how do NOT fear... but want to carry a gun.

fear does not have to factor into carrying a gun.

Because it's a Constitutional right guaranteed in this nation so it doesn't matter why someone chooses to carry. Why do leftists always think it's their business to BUTT in to people's personal choices and demand they change but scream HOLY HELL if you dare bring up abortion or gay marriage?

You forgot about hunting. In this day and age, people don't hunt out of fear of starvation.

As for personal security, yes; that's fear-based. Nevertheless, fear can still be healthy, up to a point. It's only excessive fear and paranoia that bring on problems.

In no way did I intend to equate carrying guns in the woods (hunting) with concealed carry.

BTW....I've shot and eaten many rabbits, squirrels, quail and pheasant in my day!!

Squirrels? You've eaten a squirrel? What do they taste like?

FEAR

Seriously. Think about it. If there was no FEAR of being robbed and/or assaulted there is no reason to carry a gun, right?

We buy auto insurance and wear seat belts because we FEAR that at some point in time we may be involved in an accident. (Ok, and in most cases the law requires it and we fear getting a ticket too.)

Hey!! I'm not knocking it. Illinois will soon finally join everyone else in passing a CC law. When we do that I will get one so I can carry it in any areas known for high crime rates. But since I don't FEAR being robbed and/or assaulted in my small hometown I don't feel the need to carry it around.

Now I also realize that there are those who simply want to carry one around like a playtoy. But I suspect that they are simply making up for other "shortcomings".

So if anyone disagrees that FEAR is the primary motivation to carry a gun please explain why it's not.

Deterrence

I never said nor implied that you agreed with my assessment, did I? I simply stated that I am right.

It's only my business for the sake discussion that the only reason people conceal carry is because they are afraid. But yet you see all of this false bravado and tough guy image just because they like playing with and carrying guns. They don't like to think about the real reason they carry. FEAR.
Oh, so it's all about you believing that you're right and declaring yourself so.

Good thing you're not a shallow egomaniac, or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Obviously I must be right since you are unable to prove me wrong, right? Heck, you couldn't even formulate a weak argument against my point.
What would be the point of arguing with an egomaniac who made an assertion about the mindsets of people he doesn't even know (a massive leap of supposed omniscience if there ever was one), subsequently declaring himself the winner of the "debate" from the outset?

Which brings us back to my question....Supposing that fear is the only motivator of every single person who owns and carries firearms, what the hell is it to you?

FEAR

I suppose you could look at it that way.

When you lock your car, do you FEAR someone is going to steal it and.or it's contents? Or is it simply a rational precaution...better safe than sorry?

I carry my gun like I carry a spare tire...I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

FEAR

When you lock your car, do you FEAR someone is going to steal it and.or it's contents? Or is it simply a rational precaution...better safe than sorry?

I carry my gun like I carry a spare tire...I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
DaGoose DEMANDS he is right.. You're not allowed to have your own independent thought.

what the hell is it to you?

Their carrying a firearm could interfere in your life one day, whether you like it or not.

When I first debated guns on messageboards with Yanks (back in 2001) I stated from the outset that with 99 percent of gun lovers in the US are power trippers and love the look and feel of a gun. Having seen many docos from the US on the subject, and having come across many gun lovers on this board, I have not seen anything to change my mind.

Almost feral their love of gun and the power trip it gives them....

Goose is right about the fear aspect too....

Oh, so it's all about you believing that you're right and declaring yourself so.

Good thing you're not a shallow egomaniac, or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Obviously I must be right since you are unable to prove me wrong, right? Heck, you couldn't even formulate a weak argument against my point.
What would be the point of arguing with an egomaniac who made an assertion about the mindsets of people he doesn't even know (a massive leap of supposed omniscience if there ever was one), subsequently declaring himself the winner of the "debate" from the outset?

Which brings us back to my question....Supposing that fear is the only motivator of every single person who owns and carries firearms, what the hell is it to you?

The irony meter pegs when one guy assumes such an egomaniacal arrogance that he actually questions the right of another guy to even hold an opinion -- and then calls the other guy the egomaniac.

Hard to believe, Harry...

Last edited:

Their carrying a firearm could interfere in your life one day, whether you like it or not.

When I first debated guns on messageboards with Yanks (back in 2001) I stated from the outset that with 99 percent of gun lovers in the US are power trippers and love the look and feel of a gun. Having seen many docos from the US on the subject, and having come across many gun lovers on this board, I have not seen anything to change my mind.

That's just it.. It's none of your business what gun owners love about their weapons.. Now is it? You leftists need to get your own lives and worry about yourselves.

Nonsense. The only way a law abiding citizen carrying a gun is going to interfere in someone else's life is if the latter is a criminal who has acted to cause said interference.

The irony meter pegs when one guy assumes such an egomaniacal arrogance that he actually questions the right of another guy to even hold an opinion -- and then calls the other guy the egomaniac.

How would you know NOOB????

FEAR

A certain amount of fear is a healthy thing, it's a natural instinct. Fear = caution, knowledge/awareness of what might be facing us = preparedness. Many criminals have no compunction about hurting or killing to get what they want by any means they can get it, preparedness = being able to respond with equal or greater force to protect oneself and others.
Police observe crimes being committed less than 5 percent of the time, they are primarily an "after the fact" respondent.

I didn't question his opinion...In fact, I took it at face value to ask a very logical following question.

What's your percentage in sticking your nose in here?

So fucking what?...It's still none of your business.

FEAR

Fear? No. A well thought out action to counter the possibility something may happen, some day, in a situation you wouldn't expect where you need to defend yourself? Absolutely.

Fear is what people that didn't prepare experience as the moment unfolds. Fear is the person that didn't take the time to get a CCW and is now caught in the line of fire from a raving lunatic in a mall. Fear only comes about when you have lulled yourself to sleep in a false security blanket of protection from a police force that is nowhere to be found the moment you need them. Taking as much control of a potential situation as you can and preparing eliminates fear and replaces it with preparedness.

That's just it.. It's none of your business what gun owners love about their weapons.. Now is it? You leftists need to get your own lives and worry about yourselves.

Depends if you want to live in a civilised society. The US is the only western country that is clinging to its guns. Why is that? Necessity? Nope. Because they fear? Yep...whether it be their govt or perps...they are scared. However, I honestly believe the main reason is the woodie and stiff nips it gives the respective genders who have their peashooters.

The look in their eyes when they pull the trigger - almost orgasmic. Are exceptions, as stated...

Forum List

Back