Bass Fishing

OCA

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2004
Washington D.C.
I have noticed alot of people talk about fishing or posts pictures of fish here. Interesting note for this year(I am also avid outdoorsman): this is the year the 17 year cicadas come out and hatch their eggs in the trees the die and fall into the water, in this 17 year cycle on the year they come out is when most of your freshwater species records have been set, you can actually catch catfish and carp(not that I fish for those lol) on artificials as its a feeding frenzy on the surface for these things, one of the few times you'll actually be able to cast to a bass finning his way along the surface. Where i'm from we don't have cicadas so i'm fired up as hell about catching bass in the 10+ range this spring. If you go to Bass Pro Shop's webpage they have cicada imitation surface plugs and instructions on how to fish em.

Put some heavy lb test on and tight lines everyone, this only happens once every two decades.

Used to catch alot of cats when I was younger but haven't actively fished for em except for catching an occasional one when I take the kids bobber fishing for bluegills and perch. Just something abot those damn tentacles or feelers, not sure what they are called. Carp get the knife in the belly as soon as they are landed.

an afternoon/evening spent cat-fishing is hard to beat..there is a bass masters store about 12 miles from here:D ...I hope to be working about 1/2 mile from the store..damn place must be on 50 friggin acres..the parking lot is 5 times that. caught alot of carp also..scored proper and smoked they are great...am going to try my hand at the bass here in tenn. The folks i have talked to say they are HUGE...I do miss all the farm ponds in Iowa though..carp...cat..bass..perch...crappie...even good ole snapping turtles[great to eat also] you never knew what you might catch..

Originally posted by OCA
Used to catch alot of cats when I was younger but haven't actively fished for em except for catching an occasional one when I take the kids bobber fishing for bluegills and perch. Just something abot those damn tentacles or feelers, not sure what they are called. Carp get the knife in the belly as soon as they are landed.
WHISKERS!
i use a float and a little weight in current. in pre-spawn you cant beat it!

Originally posted by jon_forward
an afternoon/evening spent cat-fishing is hard to beat..there is a bass masters store about 12 miles from here:D ...I hope to be working about 1/2 mile from the store..damn place must be on 50 friggin acres..the parking lot is 5 times that. caught alot of carp also..scored proper and smoked they are great...am going to try my hand at the bass here in tenn. The folks i have talked to say they are HUGE...I do miss all the farm ponds in Iowa though..carp...cat..bass..perch...crappie...even good ole snapping turtles[great to eat also] you never knew what you might catch..
carp are easy to catch, hell just put anything on a hook and drop it in...lol
bassin is awesome up here. alot of decent sized ones.

I like catfishing with no weigh or very little, let the current take the bait to the fishy!! usually goes right to their hidey hole:D I have used soap to catch Mr.Whiskers!! anything that smells will catch em...I use sweet corn for carp...or suger dough balls that I have made up..of course you cant forget the beer..least when i still drank...now a joint will have to do

Originally posted by jon_forward

Yeah there is a Bass Pro Shop in Hanover, MD about 45 minutes from my house, FREAKIN HUGE! I can easily spend 3 hrs in there and unload my bank account and max 3 credit cards in that time. My brother lives in PA and they just opened a brand new Cabelas there, can't wait to visit that baby.

You should try shad fishing on a coastal river sometime, you basically just throw something shiny at em and they fight like a freakin salmon.

Carp are thicker than flies on shit, they are everywhere. Killing a few ain't gonna make em extinct I just can't stand them things.

Thats what they said about ever other over fished fish out there!! Thers no need to kill it just because you find it a "garbage" fish.

Originally posted by Jackass
Thats what they said about ever other over fished fishe out there!! Thers no need to kill it just because you find it a "garbage" fish.

I squish 'em with a hammer if I get my hands on 'em (fish that I don't like). I don't wanna have to catch the same fucker twice. I smash crabs when I see them too. Revenge for when them little bastards bit me when I was little.

Forum List

Back