Basic Incintive For Minimum-Wage Workers To Raise Themselves Out Of Their Hole...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
gets side-tracked for the time being...

Obama proposes raising the Federally-mandated minimum wage from $7.25 to $9.50...

If we are to have a minimum wage (and I'm more for it than against)... then we need regular, small, planned increases to ensure that business can appropriately plan their costs, pricing structure, etc. These petty 'vote buying' bounces are not good for anyone - except the party.

And unemployment would jump.. prices of goods and services would jump..

But hey.. he's only looking to buy votes

The idea that raising the minimum wage will cause layoffs really isn't accurate at all.
The Levy Institute has a paper that addresses that issue. In 1998, the Levy Institute surveyed small business owners and found only 9.9% thought the would alter their hiring plans, 84.8% said it wouldn't.
Asked about the effect regarding past minimum wage increase effected their hiring, 6.2% it did, 89.4% said it didn't. When asked about another increase with minimum wage, 20.7 said it would effect their hiring or layoffs, 75.6& said it wouldn't.
Now I recognize this survey was done in 1998, but I have yet to find any facts that back up the assertion that raising the minimum wage would result in sure fire layoffs.
http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/pn98_3.pdf

Then there's these charts:

Last edited:

Obama proposes raising the Federally-mandated minimum wage from $7.25 to $9.50...

Good for Obama......how is he going to get that extra cash to give to employers to pay the increased wages? What? He expects them to choke it up? Does he understand how a business operates? What was I thnking, of course he doesn't.

Anyone who works a full time job ought to earn a living wage. That greedy nutters expect others to work a full time job, however menial, and STILL be unable to provide for themselves and their families is a primary reason for the fact that they are marginalized.

The idea that raising the minimum wage will cause layoffs really isn't accurate at all.
The Levy Institute has a paper that addresses that issue. In 1998, the Levy Institute surveyed small business owners and found only 9.9% thought the would alter their hiring plans, 84.8% said it wouldn't.
Asked about the effect regarding past minimum wage increase effected their hiring, 6.2% it did, 89.4% said it didn't. When asked about another increase with minimum wage, 20.7 said it would effect their hiring or layoffs, 75.6& said it wouldn't.
Now I recognize this survey was done in 1998, but I have yet to find any facts that back up the assertion that raising the minimum wage would result in sure fire layoffs.

You're correct, it wouldn't alter their hiring........as long as they raise their prices to you and me to cover their increased cost.

Anyone who works a full time job ought to earn a living wage. That greedy nutters expect others to work a full time job, however menial, and STILL be unable to provide for themselves and their families is a primary reason for the fact that they are marginalized.

Well that kind of depends on the worth of that full time job doesn't it? Anyone with two hands can shovel shit all day long as it isn't rocket science......and they will get paid according to their skill. If they want ot make enough to live on, they will have to up their skill level and worth as an employee. That my friend is how it works in the real world.

You're correct, it wouldn't alter their hiring........as long as they raise their prices to you and me to cover their increased cost.

Studies show that raising the minimum wage actually helps the economy as it puts more money into the consumers hands. It also helps other wage earners because it helps raise their wages too. And just about everyone knows that wages have been seriously flat to the point of not keeping up with inflation.
And what is slowing down any recovery? Lack of demand by the consumer class within an economy that is driven by 70% by consumer spending. Why is their lack of demand? Try households declining expendable income.

Well that kind of depends on the worth of that full time job doesn't it? Anyone with two hands can shovel shit all day long as it isn't rocket science......and they will get paid according to their skill. If they want ot make enough to live on, they will have to up their skill level and worth as an employee. That my friend is how it works in the real world.

Elitest bullshit.

Soo, wages haven't been flat and working households are seeing their income grow in unison with the economy's growth?
Well, if that's true explain this chart that shows the working classes share of the National Income in a serious decline, (Chart 1) at the same me those folks who allegedly are going to pay you for your exceptional work,percentage of the income has exploded.(Chart 2)
Real world or not?

And just watch Union wages go up commensurate...:eusa_whistle:

Note to mention the Union dues bottom line increases.

Do you know that unions make up less than 10% on the entire private sector workforce? So, their power is that profound?

Well look at this chart, it does show how the decline of the unions has effected non-union household income.

And just watch Union wages go up commensurate...:eusa_whistle:

Do you know that unions make up less than 10% on the entire private sector workforce? So, their power is that profound?

Well look at this chart, it does show how the decline of the unions has effected non-union household income.

Using data from the 1997 NCS, an earlier study by this author examined differences in union and nonunion earnings for major occupational groups within the total economy, private industry, and State and local government.3 In almost all groups, union workers enjoyed a salary advantage over nonunion workers. This article extends the earlier study by using more detailed data from the 1997 NCS to examine union and nonunion earnings distributions for blue-collar and service occupational groups. In addition, the present study examines union and nonunion earnings differences for selected blue-collar and service occupations in the total economy, private industry, and State and local government, and the extent to which workers in these occupations are unionized.

Source

I'm GLAD Union participation is on the wain.

Using data from the 1997 NCS, an earlier study by this author examined differences in union and nonunion earnings for major occupational groups within the total economy, private industry, and State and local government.3 In almost all groups, union workers enjoyed a salary advantage over nonunion workers. This article extends the earlier study by using more detailed data from the 1997 NCS to examine union and nonunion earnings distributions for blue-collar and service occupational groups. In addition, the present study examines union and nonunion earnings differences for selected blue-collar and service occupations in the total economy, private industry, and State and local government, and the extent to which workers in these occupations are unionized.

Source

I'm GLAD Union participation is on the wain.

Are you glad about the demise of the the household share of aggregated income too?

Look, I'm not union, no one in my family is union. But as factual history shows, the unions had a positive effect on non-union wages, benefits and working conditions. And yes, I realize the negatives that go along with unions. So in real life, unions have contributed to good things and bad things. Unions aren't knights in shining armor nor are they the huge villains they are made out to be.

Forum List

Back