Baseball records that will never be broken.

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
We've heard the old saying before-Records are meant to be broken.I think thats true for SOME of them out there but not all.When the patriots went into their first superbowl against the Giants I was mentioning that to my friend how if they win that superbowl,they will break the miami dolphins 1972 record for most wins in an undefeated season while winning the superbowl as well.Thats when he mentioned that to me saying back then-"Records are meant to be broken."

When he mentioned that,I then told him something that I think is safe to say is true mentioning a baseball record that never will be broken. thinking about that conversation from back then I recently thought of some other baseball records as well as that one I would say its a very safe bet will never be broken.

The dolphins 1972 undefeated season for example,I honestly think will someday be broken.That someday some team will go undefeated in a 16 game season and win the superbowl as well and thats because if not a for an incredible miracle catch by that Giants wide receiver in the superbowl on fourth down,the pats would now be able to talk about being the only other team in NFL history besides the 1972 dolphins to go undefeated in a regular season and win the superbowl.they were that close. "on a fourth down pass no less." to making history.

The baseball record i was referring to earlier in my conversation i had with me friend back then that I said will never be broken is this one.

Joe Dimaggios 56 game hitting streak.Here is why.

Look who has come the closest to it since then.Pete Rose back in the late 1970's. He has come the closest to it falling 12 games shy having his streak stopped at 44.since then,nobody has even come as close to it as Rose did. I knew if Rose did not do it back then.that at this time in my life I would be talking about it that nobody else will ever break that record.that it will stand all time forever.

This is the reason nobody will ever break that record.again look who came the closest to it.Pete Rose,another hall of famer and easily one of the very best of all time.Nobody ever played the game harder than he did going all out everyday sacrificing their body the way he always did.He really loved the game and his play on the field showed that everyday.

Players these days,they dont play the game hard and go all out anymore like players in his day and age did.He was a rare gem you'll never find again.Players these days play the game for the love of the money instead of the love for the game.Those players like Rose and Dimaggio who played it for the love of the game just dont exist anymore and thats the fault of the owners for paying them so much.

Here are other baseball records I guarantee will never be broken as well.

1.speaking of Pete Rose,lets not forget his all time hits record of over 4000 hits.4000 a record nobody has come close to yet.will never happen either because players like Rose who played it for the love of the game instead of for the money just dont exist anymore.

2.This may not be a record,i think there were others before his time,that hit over the 400 mark with a higher average then him which is ted williams 406 mark.Williams was the LAST player to hit over 400 and its an easy guarantee to say that he will be the last one to do it since same old song and dance,players just dont play the game with passion for the love of the game anymore. the closest to come to williams 400 mark is George Brett.another future hall of famer and another rare gem who played the game for the love of the game instead of the money who also went all out and sacrificed his body everyday.He came the closest in 1980 hitting 390.

Players before williams time hit over 400 at times because of the hard work they put into it since they loved the game so much.Players these days,when they get that high up to the majors and get offered those multiple millions,they lose their drive to work as hard as they did on their way up. they still work hard,but nothing like they used to on their way up.

3.Last one that you wont see broken is Iron Man Cal Ripkens consecutive games streak.When he set that record,he of course broke another hall of famers record in doing so breaking fellow Iron Man Lou Gerig's record for most consecutive starts.Both played the game for the passion and love of the game which you dont see anymore.

All those players mentioned of course with the exception of Rose,all played their entire careers with one team.they stayed with one team because money wasnt something they thought about back then.Rose toward his last days in philadephia got relaxed and stopped working as hard as he once did but then he came back to cincinnati and got rejuvenated again and went back to playin it for the love of the game.He was the only exception of those bunch who stopped playing it hard because of the money but that was VERY brief.

speaking of that,I was just watching a game the other day and it disgusted me hearing how one of the batters who grounded out to third base,halfway there to first he gave up running the announcer said.

The announcer then went on to say that that player when he hits an infield grounder like that,tends to give up trying to beat it out.Then saying had he kept on running full out,he might very well have made it.
man how disgusting.:mad: NONE of those players mentioned ever got to that point where they stopped trying to beat out a ground ball in the infield.:mad:

Back in that day and age that Gerig,williams,dimaggio,Brett and Roses played,back in THEIR time,those days were unheard of back then.:mad: George Brett remarked about that himself how towards the end of his playing days it disgusted him seeing new players that were coming up watching them give up halfway to first base nit always running all out to try and beat it out.

there are way too many players like that now which is why NONE of those baseball records will ever be broken.

Last edited:
I think Bonds (if you count it), single season homerun record of 74 is out of reach. Henderson stolen Base record.

Cy Young's records won't be beat: wins (511), innings pitched and complete games (700+)

I think Bonds (if you count it), single season homerun record of 74 is out of reach. Henderson stolen Base record.

Cy Young's records won't be beat: wins (511), innings pitched and complete games (700+)

Yeah I dont count Bonds record.thats why I didnt mention that frauds name.Him,Mcguire,sosa and clemons are all frauds not worthy of mention.I always say the true homerun king for a season is Ruth.Maris the other who didnt cheat,had more games and HIS might by someone that doesnt cheat..Hank Aaron,the true modern day all time home run champ,I think his record will be broken someday by someone who doesnt cheat as well.

and yeah I think your right that those others you mentioned wont be broken.

I am going to enjoy watching Jeter while I can this last year because he is one of those rare gems in this rare day and age that I mentioned who goes all out and plays the game with love and passion i the modern day of baseball.will be an awful LONG time before we see one like him again.

Pete Rose total hits record is safe.
The .400 batting average is a rare possibility. Only Cabrera has the raw skill to hit .400
Rank Player (yrs, age) Batting Average Bats
1. Miguel Cabrera (12, 31) .3203
2. Joe Mauer (11, 31) .3196 L
3. Albert Pujols (14, 34) .3184 R
4. Ichiro Suzuki (14, 40) .3174 L
5. Manny Ramirez (19, 42) .3122 R
6. Derek Jeter (20, 40) .3111 R
7. Robinson Cano (10, 31) .3105 L

The consecutive games played record is safe.
The lifetime batting average of Cobb at .366 is safe.
The 30 wins a year is safe unless the pitchers go back to a four starter rotation.

1. Barry Bonds steroid-induced head size.

2. Massive number of Tommy John surgeries in the past five years.

3. The amount of chicken wings and beer consumed by Boston Red Sox pitchers DURING games in the 2011 season.

The 56-game hitting streak will inevitably fall. This Abreau kid recently hit in 40 of 41 games or something like that. It has nothing to do with playing for the love of the game, it's just numbers. Given enough activity, the record will fall.

It does not appear that anyone will bat .400 again, and the reason has nothing to do with the hitters, it's relief pitchers. Today's batters are facing a relatively fresh, skilled pitcher virtually every time up. In the time before 1950, starting pitchers tended to finish their own games and were tired after the sixth inning. Also the batters had seen them a couple times in the early innings and were better equipped mentally to hit in the later innings. Relief pitchers were old, washed up pitchers and unproven rookies. batting .350 today is more of an accomplishment than batting .400 in 1925.

And science/statistics. The batters are analyzed to an extent never before even dreamed of. Pitchers know everything about a hitter before the game starts. What location the hitter likes, what pitches give him problems, whether he swings at the first pitch. In the past, this information was basically learned from an informal Rumor Mill, and they only bothered with the best hitters. Now it is KNOWN for virtually every batter in the lineup.

20-win seasons and 300-win careers may be done for unless and until some major changes are made in how the game is managed.

The 56-game hitting streak will inevitably fall. This Abreau kid recently hit in 40 of 41 games or something like that. It has nothing to do with playing for the love of the game, it's just numbers. Given enough activity, the record will fall.

It does not appear that anyone will bat .400 again, and the reason has nothing to do with the hitters, it's relief pitchers. Today's batters are facing a relatively fresh, skilled pitcher virtually every time up. In the time before 1950, starting pitchers tended to finish their own games and were tired after the sixth inning. Also the batters had seen them a couple times in the early innings and were better equipped mentally to hit in the later innings. Relief pitchers were old, washed up pitchers and unproven rookies. batting .350 today is more of an accomplishment than batting .400 in 1925.

And science/statistics. The batters are analyzed to an extent never before even dreamed of. Pitchers know everything about a hitter before the game starts. What location the hitter likes, what pitches give him problems, whether he swings at the first pitch. In the past, this information was basically learned from an informal Rumor Mill, and they only bothered with the best hitters. Now it is KNOWN for virtually every batter in the lineup.

20-win seasons and 300-win careers may be done for unless and until some major changes are made in how the game is managed.

All EXCELLENT points you have made, but I slightly differ with you on a couple of them.

I believe that the 56 game hitting streak and the .400 batting average are EQUALLY as tough to accomplish. It will be VERY difficult to break either one of these records in today's baseball. for the exact reason you stated.......the army of fresh arms that all of the teams have at their disposal during a game.

20 win seasons are unusual, but they still happen. The record that may NEVER be achieved again is the 30 win season. Today's starting pitchers simply don't get enough starts, and if they do many of them are pitch count-limited.

300 win careers are going to be increasingly difficult to achieve, for the same reasons that 30 win seasons are.

Barry Bonds tainted home run record is going to be extremely difficult to achieve, now that the "steroid era" is apparently over. In my mind, Roger Maris still holds the home run record. The Bonds and McGwires and Sosas of the world are nothing more than cheaters and sad footnotes in baseball history.

The one record that I NEVER thought would be broken was Lou Gehrig's consecutive games record, but Cal Ripken did it, and did it gracefully and legitimately. Ripken's record will NEVER be broken, simply because today's baseball players are coddled and rarely make it through ONE SEASON without sitting out at least a game or two or more.

As you also correctly stated, baseball (and all other American sports) is much more of a "science" today, and much more of a business today. Great pitchers are treated like fine china, and all hitters are analyzed in every way possible by all the other teams.

Baseball is now being treated like a commodity or investment by the owners. All good businessmen PROTECT their investments (the players) by whatever means necessary.
BILLIONS of dollars are changing hands, and players are making more in one year than most of the rest of us could ever hope to make in our LIFETIME.

Pete Rose total hits record is safe.
The .400 batting average is a rare possibility. Only Cabrera has the raw skill to hit .400
Rank Player (yrs, age) Batting Average Bats
1. Miguel Cabrera (12, 31) .3203
2. Joe Mauer (11, 31) .3196 L
3. Albert Pujols (14, 34) .3184 R
4. Ichiro Suzuki (14, 40) .3174 L
5. Manny Ramirez (19, 42) .3122 R
6. Derek Jeter (20, 40) .3111 R
7. Robinson Cano (10, 31) .3105 L

The consecutive games played record is safe.
The lifetime batting average of Cobb at .366 is safe.
The 30 wins a year is safe unless the pitchers go back to a four starter rotation.

I don't think the 30 win a year level would be broken even with a 4 starter rotation. You only would need a handful of ND's from being pulled in the 7th or the 8th and losing it due to a reliever.

The dominant pitchers of that era pitched the whole game.

Most pitching records like complete games of old will probably stand with the invent of the relief pitcher. The enforcement of the drug rules will probably keep anyone from breaking Bonds record of HR's and batting averages overall. The overall quality of players in today's game is no where near what it was in years past.

Stolen base record? Maybe some day. .400 hitter maybe, HR's no. Hits maybe but unlikely. consecutive games with a hit...maybe but not likely....total hits no. Consecutive games played no.......

Nope.will never happen,that 56 game record will NEVER fall.Its definetely safe and love of the game has everything to do with it.These days players just dont get motivated to go out and spend anywhere near as many hours and hard work it takes to do that.they still work hard,not saying they dont,just not like the old timers did in ther past.

see thats just it,he hit 40 in 41,thats not consecutive.to get a hit in EVERY single game for so long a period like 56 games,i dont think you understand how extremely difficult that is.

I remember talking to my father about it back then when he was saying he didnt think rose would do it and i asked "why,its not hard to get at least one hit in a game?" he then said-Yeah but its very hard to hit it where nobody can get it. and thats an understatement.

while I was a pretty good hitter myself growing up playing baseball from little league till i got out of college,I remember that while I didnt strike out very often,to get a hit and put it in play wasnt so difficult,but to get a hit where nobody can get it is EXTREMELY difficult.and were talking about 56 games CONSECUTIVE, doesnt count 40 out of 41.

Not to mention you got to be a special kind of player like Rose who can handle the pressure of the media these days which is far greater than it was back then in Dimaggios day.

these days reporters are all in your face and that doesnt help the stress matters you have to face when you get up there in the 4o count like Rose did,thats when everybody in the world starts paying attention to you and is in your face everyday.

with that kind of pressure they have to face these days,naw never going to happen.Just like i said back then when rose failed to do it,I guarantee you,assumeing this site is still here 20 years from now,you can look back at this thread and see i was right about that and then it will dawn on you it'll never happen again.that the record is safe.

you did hit the nail on the head though that nobody will ever hit 400 again and those are very good reasons as well why nobody will do it,very well said there.:beer:

as good as Cabrerra is,he isnt going to hit 400.another reason i dont see him doing that is i have noticed that in the day and age where Brett,Rose and Ripken played,there were only like a couple players in the bullpen back then like rich gossage who could come in and throw a 100 mph fastball.Now there seems to be more and more of those emerging and its not so rare now like it was back then.

Cabrerra I DO think will break Roger maris's record though for most homeruns in a season for a modern day player.that one will eventually be topped by someone who doesnt cheat.someone like cabrerra or mike trout who at least as far as we know NOW,arent using.

I have my doubts about Trout the fact he is so big like he is.The same build like users jose canseco and mark mcguire.I Hope it doesnt turn out someday that he is a user.I just wonder about him though for good reason.

Yeah I dont count Bonds record.thats why I didnt mention that frauds name.Him,Mcguire,sosa and clemons are all frauds not worthy of mention.I always say the true homerun king for a season is Ruth.Maris the other who didnt cheat,had more games and HIS might by someone that doesnt cheat..Hank Aaron,the true modern day all time home run champ,I think his record will be broken someday by someone who doesnt cheat as well.

I am going to enjoy watching Jeter while I can this last year because he is one of those rare gems in this rare day and age that I mentioned who goes all out and plays the game with love and passion i the modern day of baseball.will be an awful LONG time before we see one like him again.

Bond's records will be broken one day. There will be another Bambino, and he'll be remembered as the man who saved baseball by reminding America why they loved the game. Hopefully he's not too far off...

All EXCELLENT points you have made, but I slightly differ with you on a couple of them.

I believe that the 56 game hitting streak and the .400 batting average are EQUALLY as tough to accomplish. It will be VERY difficult to break either one of these records in today's baseball. for the exact reason you stated.......the army of fresh arms that all of the teams have at their disposal during a game.

20 win seasons are unusual, but they still happen. The record that may NEVER be achieved again is the 30 win season. Today's starting pitchers simply don't get enough starts, and if they do many of them are pitch count-limited.

300 win careers are going to be increasingly difficult to achieve, for the same reasons that 30 win seasons are.

Barry Bonds tainted home run record is going to be extremely difficult to achieve, now that the "steroid era" is apparently over. In my mind, Roger Maris still holds the home run record. The Bonds and McGwires and Sosas of the world are nothing more than cheaters and sad footnotes in baseball history.

The one record that I NEVER thought would be broken was Lou Gehrig's consecutive games record, but Cal Ripken did it, and did it gracefully and legitimately. Ripken's record will NEVER be broken, simply because today's baseball players are coddled and rarely make it through ONE SEASON without sitting out at least a game or two or more.

As you also correctly stated, baseball (and all other American sports) is much more of a "science" today, and much more of a business today. Great pitchers are treated like fine china, and all hitters are analyzed in every way possible by all the other teams.

Baseball is now being treated like a commodity or investment by the owners. All good businessmen PROTECT their investments (the players) by whatever means necessary.
BILLIONS of dollars are changing hands, and players are making more in one year than most of the rest of us could ever hope to make in our LIFETIME.
:clap:

oh yeah definetely.The 56 game hitting streak is easily as hard to achieve now as the 400 mark is.Even more so now. and it really does hold true that you got to be a special kind of player that goes all out and sacrifices your body everyday playing the game for the love of the game instead of the money and you just dont see players like that anymore.

There are the Derek jeters,the rare exceptions of course,but yeah,he is a rare gem though and like I just said,thats just not being realistic to say it will fall someday because unless you have played baseball yourself,people just dont understand just how extremely difficult it is to go out there and get a hit in every game for so long for that long a period of time.this is EVERYDAY we are talking about,not 40 out of 41.two entirely different scenarios there.

with those army of freash arms and how they study each hitter,its just not going to happen,either one of those records being broken.

thats also why the 4000 hits will stand as well is Rose himself said he was fortunate enough to avoid any injurys for a long sustainable period of time only missing a few games here and there duing the seasons because of injury. Players liek Rose and who did what they did,are rare gems,you just dont see players that are made of iron like those anymore to not miss ANY game,thats just unheard of now so ripkens record is safe as well and like you said,they are going to miss at least one game each season.Ripken was the last of a breed like Brett and Rose you wont see again.

The 73 record of Bonds needs to stop being mentioned here on this thread because it obviously doesnt count. Thats what i said before is the modern day record for most home runs in a season is still held by maris and HIS record i think will be broken someday by some like Cabrerra or Mike trout.assuming they are clean and remain clean,I see one of those two breaking maris's record eventually.

those billions they make in one year they we will wont make out whole lives is exactly why you wont see records like the 4000 hits,400 mark,consecutive games played broken again is with all that money,players are going to take days off in the season andthey arent going to work as hard as they once did to have all those hits and with all the arms they have today how they study each hitter,its just not going to happen.

Bond's records will be broken one day. There will be another Bambino, and he'll be remembered as the man who saved baseball by reminding America why they loved the game. Hopefully he's not too far off...

you mean MARIS's record.again Bonds name needs to stop being mentioned because cheaters dont count.

you mean MARIS's record.again Bonds name needs to stop being mentioned because cheaters dont count.

I couldn't agree more man. But it'll take a legend to erase the stain that Bonds left on the game. And they'll be more celebrated than the likes of Michael Jordan. I hope I live to see them.

so that being said,you are right.thats what I just said,yes someday someone WILL break maris's record.again i think it will be trout or cabrra.hoefully him,i have my dounts about trout being clean as big a guy he is withe the same build as canseco,mcguire,and Bonds.

the writers who vote people in are never going to admit bonds or clemons,obvious cheaters so lets atart hearing preople say rightfully so-I agree,i think someoday someone will beat MARIS's modern day homerun record.

We've heard the old saying before-Records are meant to be broken.I think thats true for SOME of them out there but not all.When the patriots went into their first superbowl against the Giants I was mentioning that to my friend how if they win that superbowl,they will break the miami dolphins 1972 record for most wins in an undefeated season while winning the superbowl as well.Thats when he mentioned that to me saying back then-"Records are meant to be broken."

When he mentioned that,I then told him something that I think is safe to say is true mentioning a baseball record that never will be broken. thinking about that conversation from back then I recently thought of some other baseball records as well as that one I would say its a very safe bet will never be broken.

The dolphins 1972 undefeated season for example,I honestly think will someday be broken.That someday some team will go undefeated in a 16 game season and win the superbowl as well and thats because if not a for an incredible miracle catch by that Giants wide receiver in the superbowl on fourth down,the pats would now be able to talk about being the only other team in NFL history besides the 1972 dolphins to go undefeated in a regular season and win the superbowl.they were that close. "on a fourth down pass no less." to making history.

The baseball record i was referring to earlier in my conversation i had with me friend back then that I said will never be broken is this one.

Joe Dimaggios 56 game hitting streak.Here is why.

Look who has come the closest to it since then.Pete Rose back in the late 1970's. He has come the closest to it falling 12 games shy having his streak stopped at 44.since then,nobody has even come as close to it as Rose did. I knew if Rose did not do it back then.that at this time in my life I would be talking about it that nobody else will ever break that record.that it will stand all time forever.

This is the reason nobody will ever break that record.again look who came the closest to it.Pete Rose,another hall of famer and easily one of the very best of all time.Nobody ever played the game harder than he did going all out everyday sacrificing their body the way he always did.He really loved the game and his play on the field showed that everyday.

Players these days,they dont play the game hard and go all out anymore like players in his day and age did.He was a rare gem you'll never find again.Players these days play the game for the love of the money instead of the love for the game.Those players like Rose and Dimaggio who played it for the love of the game just dont exist anymore and thats the fault of the owners for paying them so much.

Here are other baseball records I guarantee will never be broken as well.

1.speaking of Pete Rose,lets not forget his all time hits record of over 4000 hits.4000 a record nobody has come close to yet.will never happen either because players like Rose who played it for the love of the game instead of for the money just dont exist anymore.

2.This may not be a record,i think there were others before his time,that hit over the 400 mark with a higher average then him which is ted williams 406 mark.Williams was the LAST player to hit over 400 and its an easy guarantee to say that he will be the last one to do it since same old song and dance,players just dont play the game with passion for the love of the game anymore. the closest to come to williams 400 mark is George Brett.another future hall of famer and another rare gem who played the game for the love of the game instead of the money who also went all out and sacrificed his body everyday.He came the closest in 1980 hitting 390.

Players before williams time hit over 400 at times because of the hard work they put into it since they loved the game so much.Players these days,when they get that high up to the majors and get offered those multiple millions,they lose their drive to work as hard as they did on their way up. they still work hard,but nothing like they used to on their way up.

3.Last one that you wont see broken is Iron Man Cal Ripkens consecutive games streak.When he set that record,he of course broke another hall of famers record in doing so breaking fellow Iron Man Lou Gerig's record for most consecutive starts.Both played the game for the passion and love of the game which you dont see anymore.

All those players mentioned of course with the exception of Rose,all played their entire careers with one team.they stayed with one team because money wasnt something they thought about back then.Rose toward his last days in philadephia got relaxed and stopped working as hard as he once did but then he came back to cincinnati and got rejuvenated again and went back to playin it for the love of the game.He was the only exception of those bunch who stopped playing it hard because of the money but that was VERY brief.

speaking of that,I was just watching a game the other day and it disgusted me hearing how one of the batters who grounded out to third base,halfway there to first he gave up running the announcer said.

The announcer then went on to say that that player when he hits an infield grounder like that,tends to give up trying to beat it out.Then saying had he kept on running full out,he might very well have made it.
man how disgusting.:mad: NONE of those players mentioned ever got to that point where they stopped trying to beat out a ground ball in the infield.:mad:

Back in that day and age that Gerig,williams,dimaggio,Brett and Roses played,back in THEIR time,those days were unheard of back then.:mad: George Brett remarked about that himself how towards the end of his playing days it disgusted him seeing new players that were coming up watching them give up halfway to first base nit always running all out to try and beat it out.

there are way too many players like that now which is why NONE of those baseball records will ever be broken.
I am predicting right now, the Yankee Clipper's 56 game hitting streak will be broken, within 5 years from now.

And just who will be the one breaking this record?

Two words......................MIKE TROUT!

If you wanna talk about records that can't be broken, look no further than the Big Dipper.

Here's a few of his records, no one will ever break:
  • 100 points in one game
  • 55 rebounds in one game
  • only center to lead the league in assists
  • averaged 51.2 ppg for an entire season
  • fucked over 20,000 women
Keep this in mind, that's the "short list"!

Forum List

Back