Baseball is dying

While rain and unusually cold weather plagued the first half of the season and has been the cause of nearly 36 postponements to date, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said that the league is “concerned that there’s something to [low attendance rates] more than weather.”

Lets have the season play out before we declare baseball dead

MLB Attendance Drops to Lowest Average In 15 Years

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

The Astros are doing fine with a small payroll compared to the Yankees.

The Astros are still 12th in MLB payroll only $11 million behind the Yankees.

The Red Sox however have a $240 MILLION payroll, compared to the White Sox who are at $78 million.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118
Astros payroll..163,300,474

I didn't compare the Red Sox payroll to the Astros. I compared them to the Yankees like YOU did.

I compared the Red Sox (highest) with the White Sox (lowest).

I'm just comparing top payrolls.

MLB Attendance Drops to Lowest Average In 15 Years

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

The Red Sox however have a $240 MILLION payroll, compared to the White Sox who are at $78 million.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118

I didn't compare the Red Sox payroll to the Astros. I compared them to the Yankees like YOU did.

This is EXACTLY what you said:

"The Astros are doing fine with a small payroll compared to the Yankees."

The Astros payroll isn't small compared to the Yankees. It is only $11 million less, which is basically one players salary.

Baseball requires patience, much like Soccer. It is not at all for those seeking immediate gratification. But at least with Soccer there isn’t 162 games each year.

Shorten the season or simply the number of games.

I don’t even pay attention until the last 20 games of the regular season anymore.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118

The Astros payroll isn't small compared to the Yankees. It is only $11 million less, which is basically one players salary.

I figured the yankees were a top payroll.
Sue me.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118

It is a one year anamoly as the Yanks are dumping payroll to get ready for the 2018 free agent market

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118

It is a one year anamoly as the Yanks are dumping payroll to get ready for the 2018 free agent market

Not completely, they just signed Stanton this year. Now if they have the money... Bryce Harper is a free agent after this year.

Baseball requires patience, much like Soccer. It is not at all for those seeking immediate gratification. But at least with Soccer there isn’t 162 games each year.

Shorten the season or simply the number of games.

I don’t even pay attention until the last 20 games of the regular season anymore.

Agreed that it would make for a more interesting mlb, but the owners would never shorten the season for financial reasons

Yankees and Dodgers have not won in recent years
Crap teams in small markets have

:wtf:I'll have you know that the Chicago Cubs are not a small market or a crap team... Phuck the yankees and the dodgers...

Wanna blame something?

5ab5d9cf3fb881ef9b5e5710f49f7bff.jpg

Spot on!

How many years will we have to endure watching the Yankees take on the Red Sox in the playoffs?

It just gets old.

If you take the teams by payroll in order, and split them down the middle, you will find that the upper half have winning teams with only a few that don't.

Conversely, if you take the lower half and split them down the middle you have the inverse result, most have losing records except a few that don't

Essentially you can buy yourself a winning season but the playoffs are much harder to predict.

Not as a Yankees fan it doesn't.

It's because small market teams have very little chance to compete on a year by year basis with teams in cities like New York and Los Angeles. There is very little parody in baseball, like there is in the NBA and NFL where draft picks can make such a huge impact in a short period of time, compared to MLB where free agency is much more important. Generally draft picks in MLB take several years to get to the majors, and that's if they ever do.

Spot on!

How many years will we have to endure watching the Yankees take on the Red Sox in the playoffs?

It just gets old.

If you take the teams by payroll in order, and split them down the middle, you will find that the upper half have winning teams with only a few that don't.

Conversely, if you take the lower half and split them down the middle you have the inverse result, most have losing records except a few that don't

Essentially you can buy yourself a winning season but the playoffs are much harder to predict.

spot on indeed.could not have said it better myself.:thup: the good old days when each team had as much a chance to get to the world series as the other guy are over with. those good old days when teams like the twins,padres,pirates,reds could compete with any other team are long gone. The Reds will never have another big red machine again the fact they are a minor league team developing their players for teams like the yankees,red sox,dodgers,and astros now.

Back in the 70's,they NEVER would have let Johnny cuoto go on to another team.he would have been locked up for a good majority of his career with them.:mad:

It indeed DOES get old and tiresome watching the yanks and red sox square off in the playoffs to see who gets to advance the furthest.tired of that bullshit.

free agency destroyed the game,that cannot be debated.

I dropped all but basic cable this year simply because I felt gypped given all the commercials contained in the programming. Baseball is the only thing I miss and no longer feel much of a connection to the local team (D-Backs).

I quit watching in the 80's like everybody else my age.
Other than that...it is a major investment to follow baseball. They play every other day, who can commit to wasting 2/3 of your daily free time most days of the week?

It's because small market teams have very little chance to compete on a year by year basis with teams in cities like New York and Los Angeles. There is very little parody in baseball, like there is in the NBA and NFL where draft picks can make such a huge impact in a short period of time, compared to MLB where free agency is much more important. Generally draft picks in MLB take several years to get to the majors, and that's if they ever do.

Spot on!

It just gets old.

spot on indeed.could not have said it better myself.:thup: the good old days when each team had as much a chance to get to the world series as the other guy are over with. those good old days when teams like the twins,padres,pirates,reds could compete with any other team are long gone. The Reds will never have another big red machine again the fact they are a minor league team developing their players for teams like the yankees,red sox,dodgers,and astros now.

Back in the 70's,they NEVER would have let Johnny cuoto go on to another team.he would have been locked up for a good majority of his career with them.:mad:

It indeed DOES get old and tiresome watching the yanks and red sox square off in the playoffs to see who gets to advance the furthest.tired of that bullshit.

Sometimes I like watching the playoffs to follow all the former Reds players who are now too good to be on the Reds team.

All I need is an app to change their uniforms to the Reds and I will be in hog heaven!

Spot on!

It just gets old.

Sometimes I like watching the playoffs to follow all the former Reds players who are now too good to be on the Reds team.

All I need is an app to change their uniforms to the Reds and I will be in hog heaven!

Does that mean you are now a Mets' fan?

i

i

i

It just gets old.
The Yankees appeared in how many world series? Didn't seem to get too old...

While attendance may be the worst in 15 years, it's about triple what it was 30 years ago. Baseball didn't die then...

It just gets old.
The Yankees appeared in how many world series? Didn't seem to get too old...

While attendance may be the worst in 15 years, it's about triple what it was 30 years ago. Baseball didn't die then...
We had a very rainy and cold spring
Many games were either cancelled or sparsely attended

I would not put much value on attendance figures for the start of the season

Forum List

Back