Barry: 'We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in'

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Marion Barry Racist Against Asians. Where is the outrage?

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said in remarks on Tuesday night first reported by WRC-TV. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

Barry: 'We

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7Yt612rCo]Marion Barry - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the "apology". (apologia?)

UPDATE: Marion Barry apologizes for anti-Asian remarks - District of DeBonis - The Washington Post

UPDATE, 4:40 P.M: Faced with a torrent of criticism from his colleagues and other city residents, Marion Barry apologized Thursday afternoon for his Election Day suggestion that Asian business owners in his ward “ought to go.”

Barry said via his Twitter account that he is “very sorry for offending the Asian American community” with an “admittedly bad choice of words” but remains concerned about the conditions of some restaurants in Ward 8.

“I admit, I could and should have said it differently. But the facts are still very present in our daily lives here,” he tweeted. “We are tired of sub-standard treatment, tired of being kept [at] arms length distance, tired of the lack of community engagement.”

Barry said in a telephone interview that the apology was heartfelt: “It is as solid as Marion Barry can make it, and believe it, because I have a history of not doing anything to purposely disparage any group of people.”

He's had a pretty good career for an ignorant hateful nutjob.

He wants to get rid of them and replace them with African Americans. If they are run out of the shops, will he choose which people he wants to give money to so they can set up shop?

I've seen areas in Denver and Aurora, Colorado where the Hispanics have taken over and the areas look like dumps. You see no one but Hispanics there. Some might say the same for blacks in certain areas. We also have trashy white areas.

If you're going to pick on one, pick on them all and pass a city ordinance about keeping the areas clean.

The government favors certain groups and hands them whatever they need. I find that people who work hard for something tend to show more respect for themselves and their communities. Hard to take pride in anything handed to you.

Some people are go-getters when it comes to starting a business and they need only follow the laws in place. Some do nothing, but still ask for more and complain.

Fewer take initiative these days and turn to government for everything instead. I don't see how government can put certain groups in businesses in certain areas without playing favorites and handing people things.

The way Barry articulated his thoughts sounds extremely racist. That is on him and there is no excuse for it. I'm sure the apology came after his handlers realized the backlash that was coming. Too late, he already showed his true feelings.

He wants to stop helping one group, kick them out and help another. Does he think that people are objects on a game board and he can move them around at will?

I guess he doesn't understand the concept of being fair and letting people compete. Government needs only to create fair regulations and hold people to them. And maybe stop coddling some people to the point where they become incapable of fending for themselves or competing fairly in a free market.

Marion Barry Racist Against Asians. Where is the outrage?

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said in remarks on Tuesday night first reported by WRC-TV. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

Barry: 'We

I represent....er, resent that!

Forum List

Back