Barry Puts Former Bushie/Corporate Exec in Charge of Interweb(s) Security

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
White House picks new cyber coordinator

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
Associated Press Writer Dec 22, 7:00 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House has tapped a corporate cyber security expert and former Bush administration official to lead the effort to shore up the country's computer networks and better coordinate with companies that operate 80 percent of those critical systems.

Howard A. Schmidt, a former eBay and Microsoft executive, will become the government's cyber security coordinator, weathering a rocky selection process that dragged on for months, as others turned the job down.

President Barack Obama is expected to make the announcement Tuesday, according to a senior White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public yet.

Brattleboro Reformer

---

Interesting LACK of "Security" in the AP Headline...

I have some Questions... Why have so many others "turned the job down"?...

Why go after a Former Bushie?...

And a Big Bad Business Executive?...

Wonder what his Bonuses were while Barry was Railing Against Bonuses?

MeThinks this is a Bushie because when the Screams of Civil Liberties Violations start coming, the Left can Exuse them by Blaming it on a "Former Bushie", and in the End do NOTHING to Stop the Claimed Violations.

Any Thoughts on this?...

:)

peace...

MeThinks this is a Bushie because when the Screams of Civil Liberties Violations start coming, the Left can Exuse them by Blaming it on a "Former Bushie", and in the End do NOTHING to Stop the Claimed Violations.

Its a conspiracy damn-it! A god damn CONSPIRACY

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

By LOLITA C. BALDOR

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House has tapped a corporate cyber security expert and former Bush administration official to lead the effort to shore up the country's computer networks and better coordinate with companies that operate 80 percent of those critical systems.

Howard A. Schmidt, a former eBay and Microsoft executive, will become the government's cyber security coordinator, weathering a rocky selection process that dragged on for months, as others turned the job down.

President Barack Obama is expected to make the announcement Tuesday, according to a senior White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public yet.

Brattleboro Reformer

---

Any Thoughts on this?...

peace...

"They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft of S.773 (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license. "

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

The bill:
http://www.cdt.org/security/CYBERSEC4.pdf

Did S.773 become law?

I really don't know why we need a cyber-security czar. Can someone explain why we need someone from the government to manage how secure my internet connection is. I'm OK with managing government networks to make them more secure but where does govt get the right to manage the security of my network?

» Obama to name Cybersecurity Advisor today Row 2, Seat 4 « FOXNews.com

Honestly, I really just don't trust Obama. I think he is a crook and a second-rate dictator or at least he is trying to be one.

I really don't know why we need a cyber-security czar. Can someone explain why we need someone from the government to manage how secure my internet connection is. I'm OK with managing government networks to make them more secure but where does govt get the right to manage the security of my network?

» Obama to name Cybersecurity Advisor today Row 2, Seat 4 « FOXNews.com

Honestly, I really just don't trust Obama. I think he is a crook and a second-rate dictator or at least he is trying to be one.

I never trusted him and still don't.

Man imagine siezing public networks in an emergency. Kinda like in FL people coming on your property and removing Citrus canker infested orange trees without permission or repayment.
Damn commies.

Last edited:
With the global warming thing going belly up, you'd think Obama would pick Al Gore. I mean, he did invent the internet.

By LOLITA C. BALDOR

Brattleboro Reformer

---

Any Thoughts on this?...

peace...

"They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft of S.773 (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license. "

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

The bill:
http://www.cdt.org/security/CYBERSEC4.pdf

Did S.773 become law?

That's a Fine Question...

peace...

I really don't know why we need a cyber-security czar.
Here ya' GO, Skippy!!!​

"Can you imagine your life without electric power?" Retired Admiral Mike McConnell asked correspondent Steve Kroft.

"If I were an attacker and I wanted to do strategic damage to the United States, I would either take the cold of winter or the heat of summer, I probably would sack electric power on the U.S. East Cost, maybe the West Coast, and attempt to cause a cascading effect. All of those things are in the art of the possible from a sophisticated attacker," McConnell explained.

"Do you believe our adversaries have the capability of bringing down a power grid?" Kroft asked.

"I do," McConnell replied.

Asked if the U.S. is prepared for such an attack, McConnell told Kroft, "No. The United States is not prepared for such an attack."

Four months after taking office, Obama made those concerns part of our national defense policy, declaring the country's digital infrastructure a strategic asset, and confirming that cyber warfare had moved beyond theory.

"We know that cyber intruders have probed our electrical grid, and that in other countries cyber attacks have plunged entire cities into darkness," the president said.

"In 2007 we probably had our electronic Pearl Harbor. It was an espionage Pearl Harbor," Lewis said. "Some unknown foreign power, and honestly, we don't know who it is, broke into the Department of Defense, to the Department of State, the Department of Commerce, probably the Department of Energy, probably NASA. They broke into all of the high tech agencies, all of the military agencies, and downloaded terabytes of information."

Last November, someone was able to get past the firewalls and encryption devices of one of the most sensitive U.S. military computer systems and stay inside for several days.

"My impression is most people understand that there is a threat out there. I don't think most people understand that there are incidents that are happening," Kroft remarked.

"You know, I've been trying to figure out why that is. And some of it is the previous administration didn't want to admit that they had been rolled in 2007."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back