Barbara Walter's minimizes child rape

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
When Mary Kay Letourneau Fualaau was forced to go public in 1997 with an affair she was having with her former sixth grade student, Vili Fualaau, after she became pregnant with his child, it was the teacher-student sex scandal heard around the world.

At the time, Mary was a 34-year-old, married teacher in Seattle, who already had four children of her own. Vili was just 13 years old. Mary was arrested and served seven and a half years in prison.

Today, Mary is 53 and Vili is 31. The couple is still together and are about to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. The two daughters they have together are now teenagers -- older than Vili was when the affair started.

Mary and Vili sat down for an exclusive interview with Barbara Walters to talk about how they managed to stay together all these years, despite their very public and forbidden relationship.

The story of the Seattle teacher-student sex scandal caught wide national attention. She gave birth to her and Vili’s first child, Audrey, on May 29, 1997. Three months later, Mary pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree child rape. On Friday, Nov. 14, 1997, she was sentenced to 89 months in prison.

Mary Kay Letourneau Fualaau Vili Fualaau Detail Their Path From Teacher-Student Sex Scandal to Raising Teenagers - ABC News

I felt sorry for the guy, it seems like Barbara and his Teacher pedo act like what she did is ok since they are still together.

But he seems depressed and regrets what happened.

“I don't support younger kids being married or having a relationship with someone older,” Vili said. “I don't support it.”

When Mary Kay Letourneau Fualaau was forced to go public in 1997 with an affair she was having with her former sixth grade student, Vili Fualaau, after she became pregnant with his child, it was the teacher-student sex scandal heard around the world.

At the time, Mary was a 34-year-old, married teacher in Seattle, who already had four children of her own. Vili was just 13 years old. Mary was arrested and served seven and a half years in prison.

Today, Mary is 53 and Vili is 31. The couple is still together and are about to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. The two daughters they have together are now teenagers -- older than Vili was when the affair started.

Mary and Vili sat down for an exclusive interview with Barbara Walters to talk about how they managed to stay together all these years, despite their very public and forbidden relationship.

The story of the Seattle teacher-student sex scandal caught wide national attention. She gave birth to her and Vili’s first child, Audrey, on May 29, 1997. Three months later, Mary pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree child rape. On Friday, Nov. 14, 1997, she was sentenced to 89 months in prison.

Mary Kay Letourneau Fualaau Vili Fualaau Detail Their Path From Teacher-Student Sex Scandal to Raising Teenagers - ABC News

I felt sorry for the guy, it seems like Barbara and his Teacher pedo act like what she did is ok since they are still together.

“I don't support younger kids being married or having a relationship with someone older,” Vili said. “I don't support it.”
What happened to the good old days, when we shot or hanged people like that. The only thing a child molester deserves is a quick death.

What happened to the good old days when people with a brain didn't tune into this nonsense? Oh it ended with the Millennial generation.

I watched that show. That guys body language was "KILL ME PLEASE". Very uncomfortable to watch. And HELL NO don't take that sleazeball off the sex offender list! They might still be together but he doesn't look too thrilled with it.

one cannot advocate death to molesters...then you give the molester no reason not to kill the child...a damaged child is better than a dead child

Barbara Walters was born in 1929.

My understanding is that back then, "they are still together" did excuse a lot.

What happened to the good old days when people with a brain didn't tune into this nonsense? Oh it ended with the Millennial generation.
Are you saying that pedophiles don't deserve to die?
For your information a pedophile is one who craves sexual contact with pre-pubescent children. (Pubescence means the ability to reproduce -- full sexual maturity.)

Mary Kay Letourneau's adolescent lover quite obviously was far removed from his pre-pubescent stage. He was fully developed physically and sexually and as I recall Mary Kay's interest in him was far more substantive than sexual attraction.

Theirs was not a sexual encounter but a love affair which was ravaged by the somewhat envious ignorance of the general public and the stupidly inflexible cruelty of the legal system.

She's a Josh Duggar fan?

In the good ole days it was legal to marry teens....or have sex with them....Arkansas was at 15 for consent when I moved there....before the Women's Suffrage movement many states it was 9 or 10....

He was in 2nd grade the first time she was his Teacher and 13 when she had sex with him the second time she was his teacher. He even said in the interview looking back he and regrets and wouldn't want the same thing to happen to his kids. She's a Pedo all right.

She's a Josh Duggar fan?

Could be, she's creepy.

We have a double standard that we shouldn't have.

If this was a 34 year old MALE teacher having an affair with a 13 year old FEMALE student, we wouldn't be treating it like it's Cute.
The taboo against a mature adult being intimate with a younger but sexually mature individual is rooted in the inconvenience of unwanted pregnancy. It therefore originated with specific reference to older male/younger female contact.

An adolescent male cannot get pregnant. So aside from STD potential there is no valid cause for concern if a young boy gets lucky. It is in fact a perfectly natural impulse.

We have a double standard that we shouldn't have.

If this was a 34 year old MALE teacher having an affair with a 13 year old FEMALE student, we wouldn't be treating it like it's Cute.
The taboo against a mature adult being intimate with a younger but sexually mature individual is rooted in the inconvenience of unwanted pregnancy. It therefore originated with specific reference to older male/younger female contact.

An adolescent male cannot get pregnant. So aside from STD potential there is no valid cause for concern if a young boy gets lucky. It is in fact a perfectly natural impulse.

There are strong emotional and mental developmental differences between Letourneau who was then 34 years old , Vili who was only 13 years old, not to mention the fact that her role was an authoritative leadership role his 6th grade Teacher. She had already gained his trust in earlier years when she was his 2nd grade Teacher. The fact is Vili himself has regrets about it ad wished it had not happened he said was not prepared for a relationship at 13.

There are strong emotional and mental developmental differences between Letourneau who was then 34 years old , Vili who was only 13 years old, not to mention the fact that her role was an authoritative leadership role his 6th grade Teacher. She had already gained his trust in earlier years when she was his 2nd grade Teacher. The fact is Vili himself has regrets about it ad wished it had not happened he said was not prepared for a relationship at 13.
There are strong developmental differences between lots of couples, which is why more than 50% of all marriages end in divorce. While I'm not at all surprised at Vili having tired of Mary Kay their coming together was a love affair, not an exploitative seduction, which seems to be the impression held by many critics of the highly unusual relationship.

There are strong developmental differences between lots of couples, which is why more than 50% of all marriages end in divorce. While I'm not at all surprised at Vili having tired of Mary Kay their coming together was a love affair, not an exploitative seduction, which seems to be the impression held by many critics of the highly unusual relationship.

It's gross, illegal and she went to prison for it. :cool:

In the good ole days it was legal to marry teens....or have sex with them....Arkansas was at 15 for consent when I moved there....before the Women's Suffrage movement many states it was 9 or 10....
You were not alive during the Suffrage movement. The fact you Millennial idiots don't know that proves the point.

Forum List

Back