Barbara Boxer: Please Call Me 'Senator'

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Barbara Boxer: Call me 'senator'

good grief! talk about petty!

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) didn't like a Brigadier General calling her "ma'am" at an EPW hearing yesterday.

"Do me a favor," she said, "could say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?' It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you."

Barbara Boxer: Call me 'senator' - Shenanigans - POLITICO.com

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) didn't like a Brigadier General calling her "ma'am" at an EPW hearing yesterday.

"Do me a favor," she said, "could say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?' It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you."

How's it any less petty than a judge wanting to be called "Judge XX", or a doctor "Doctor YY", or a mayor "Mayor ZZ", or the president "President Dipshit"?

If someone's earned a title, and it's common knowledge, I would think they can expect to be addressed by it..

JMO...

Any body here who is military can correct me if I'm wrong.. But that's what the military do.. Yes, Sir and No Ma'am.. I think she was just wielding her power.. Always correct in private and praise in public.. that's just good PR.

What would be really interesting would be to watch her interrogation from start to finish and see if she addressed him as "Brigadier General" each time she spoke to him.. :eusa_whistle:

I told her she was fucked up to her face. My colonel was "asked" to find another alternate member for DACOWITS. :lol:

I told her she was fucked up to her face. My colonel was "asked" to find another alternate member for DACOWITS. :lol:

Well good for you.. Snotty little wench.. She could have asked him off camera to call her Senator rather than belittle him in front of the whole committee.and any ways in my book a Brigadier General should outrank a Senatwor from Caleeefornia donchyathink?

Well good for you.. Snotty little wench.. She could have asked him off camera to call her Senator rather than belittle him in front of the whole committee.and any ways in my book a Brigadier General should outrank a Senatwor from Caleeefornia donchyathink?

I know a Gunnery Sergeant doesn't.:lol: She asked a question and didn't like my answer because it told it like it was rather than support her feminist BS. The fact is, no one that sits on DACOWITS will EVER have to suffer the consequences of their decisions; yet, they presume to speak for ALL women in the service.

The question was about women deploying on ships. Hell, I don't know many MEN that want to deploy on ships, much less women. Yet an Air Force Col, Army Col and some politicians who will NEVER serve on ships were all gung ho about the 3-4 women that were better men than me that wanted to.

They didn't particularly care for my opinion. One of Boxer's aides asked my Colonel why he sent a neanderthal to her committee meeting, and informed him he needed to find a female alternate for the regular because I was not welcome back.

When the Colonel tried to confront me about it, all the other officers snickered at him. They thought it was funny considering no one in his right mind would send me to rub elbows with politicians.:lol:

would be interesting to compare a transcript of this said b.g. talking to a male senator and seeing how he was addressing male senators....just curious

Any body here who is military can correct me if I'm wrong.. But that's what the military do.. Yes, Sir and No Ma'am.

I was hoping to see Gunny correct you on this one. But I guess his partisanship trumps his need to correct misconceptions about the military. :eusa_whistle:

Well it would be the same as me going up to my doctor and calling him sir 50 times. It's annoying, she's a senator, he should have known better.

If she was a Republican would you have posted this story? :eusa_whistle:

Of course not... (regardless of what she claims)... and if she'd ever actually done anything besides eat bon bons, she'd know that, often, women are not treated the same as their male counterparts. A man would never have had to remind them to call him senator.

But she probably doesn't understand that.

If she was a Republican would you have posted this story? :eusa_whistle:

Of course not... (regardless of what she claims)... and if she'd ever actually done anything besides eat bon bons, she'd know that, often, women are not treated the same as their male counterparts. A man would never have had to remind them to call him senator.

But she probably doesn't understand that.

seems really petty bordering on petulant to me, but it's hard to tell from a 17 second sound bite.

i wasn't aware that one was required to address senators only as senator.

seems really petty bordering on petulant to me, but it's hard to tell from a 17 second sound bite.

i wasn't aware that one was required to address senators only as senator.

you also can't tell how they treated her BEFORE that 17 second sound bite. It may well be that the boys' club needed a reminder that she's a Senator. I'm pretty sure that anyone can sound a little cranky if caught at the wrong moment in a much longer event.

I think the point though is that it's another nonissue whining thread by williow ijit. ;)

would be interesting to compare a transcript of this said b.g. talking to a male senator and seeing how he was addressing male senators....just curious

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq1zg52ys54&feature=fvw]YouTube - Gen Petraeus Hearing: Sen Ted Kennedy Ba Bam![/ame]

"Yes Sir" "No Sir" and "Senator

Well it would be the same as me going up to my doctor and calling him sir 50 times. It's annoying, she's a senator, he should have known better.

No one said she didn't have a right to be called Senator. She also could and should be gracious. It won't kill her to be addrssed as something like Ma'am I object to her condescending bellittlng of him in front of an entire committee. It's rude and unsenatorial conduct.

Forum List

Back