CDZ Banning Political Correctness

Would it be possible to ban political correctness?

I mean, who decides what is politically correct and where the line is drawn anyway?
Are we to become robots, programmed to think a certain way? Is forcing yourself into a mold you don't fit into really for the "greater good"?
To answer your question all you need to do is read the constitution. Have you tried that yet?

Coming from your liberal ass your statement is laughable.

It was meant to be "tongue in cheek" - seriously, it's just been taken too far....
Yikes, I'm glad you cleared that up.

No reason to stoop to the level of the PC Police. I'm not afraid of words or conversation. They're trying to control both.

Maybe I should have said Banning Literalism

I mean, who decides what is politically correct and where the line is drawn anyway?
Are we to become robots, programmed to think a certain way? Is forcing yourself into a mold you don't fit into really for the "greater good"?
To answer your question all you need to do is read the constitution. Have you tried that yet?

I'm sure I studied it in school. I think the Bible is a more reliable source, since it is the Word of God. Men wrote the Constitution. I'm not denying it's the standards in this Country, but, that doesn't make them (necessarily) right....

Umm... hope you're sitting down ... Men wrote both of those.

And I mean literally men, not women. Which explains a lot of what's in there.

Men wrote the constitution.
Men physically wrote the Bible, but, was inspired by God.

I do understand how people not enlightened to the truth see no difference, and, since I can't give you any proof here on this message board, we'll just have to agree to disagree there.
I guess it makes you folks feel better to claim that you are somehow more enlightened because you believe what your parents told you about God growing up. The enlightenment was "An intellectual movement of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries marked by a celebration of the powers of human reason, a keen interest in science, the promotion of religious toleration, and a desire to construct governments free of tyranny." Blindly accepting what others have told you about God is not using the power of reason. You are not enlightened.

I'm sure I studied it in school. I think the Bible is a more reliable source, since it is the Word of God. Men wrote the Constitution. I'm not denying it's the standards in this Country, but, that doesn't make them (necessarily) right....

I do understand how people not enlightened to the truth see no difference, and, since I can't give you any proof here on this message board, we'll just have to agree to disagree there.
I guess it makes you folks feel better to claim that you are somehow more enlightened because you believe what your parents told you about God growing up. The enlightenment was "An intellectual movement of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries marked by a celebration of the powers of human reason, a keen interest in science, the promotion of religious toleration, and a desire to construct governments free of tyranny." Blindly accepting what others have told you about God is not using the power of reason. You are not enlightened.

I don't feel better. I'd feel better if everyone followed Jesus, however.

I'm not enlightened? Ok, if you say so... I'm glad you know so much and know me so well! ;)

Fair enough. But as a woman you might want to give it a ponderation.

No, the bible is the word of men. They claim to have been inspired by God, but the words are theirs. In this Country, the supreme law is the constitution.
Or, man's interpretation of the Constitution.

So you would have no problem calling someone who is mentally challenged a retard?

Or using any of the other derogatory terms that are used about minorities?

You don't have any problem with spurious demeaning and derisory language?

Is that what you mean by banning political correctness?

Oh I totally missed this! I thought they were quoting from another thread ... oh boy...

I'm not all about women's rights... try again ;)

No, the bible is the word of men. They claim to have been inspired by God, but the words are theirs. In this Country, the supreme law is the constitution.

My man Sonny Clark (don't worry I'll shut up about that soon...!)

I'm not enlightened? Ok, if you say so... I'm glad you know so much and know me so well! ;)
You are the one suggesting that folks who do not believe as you do think that way because, unlike you, they are not enlightened enough to know the truth. Such arrogance is generally coupled with profound ignorance. Believe what you want but don's be such an ass to those who do not agree with you. You really have absolutely no way of knowing if the Bible was inspired by God or not. You have faith, but that is not the same and knowing.

My man Sonny Clark (don't worry I'll shut up about that soon...!)
You're fine. You do great.

I'm not all about women's rights... try again ;)

I can see that.
That's why I mention it.
You're welcome. ;)

:lol: No we can't "ban" it. What's commonly called PC is the more extreme fringe of the social construct we all live under. The same one that tells us not to walk out on the street naked or act like a dick.

And if we were to try to "ban" it we'd have an impossible time trying to "define" it.

Agreed!

Censorship is notoriously difficult to administer. And ultimately ineffectual since people just find a way around it.

Language is a living thing. It evolves to meet the needs of society at any point in time. 25 years ago only computer geeks were aware of the term "internet" and what it meant. Today everyone uses it as part of the language.

Political correctness is just a means to avoid giving unnecessary offense. At least that is the stated objective per the definition. It has been turned into a partisan blunt object to beat others with.

What baffles me is that the language is so rich and can be used is so many effective ways that it seems pointless to not exploit it to the fullest rather to remain fixated on a tiny subset of objectionable terms.

But if your vocabulary is limited then that is a reflection of your intellect IMO. Suffice to say that those who shun political correctness are themselves, in turn, more than worthy of being shunned for the paucity of the content of their communications.

:lol: No we can't "ban" it. What's commonly called PC is the more extreme fringe of the social construct we all live under. The same one that tells us not to walk out on the street naked or act like a dick.

And if we were to try to "ban" it we'd have an impossible time trying to "define" it.

Agreed!

Censorship is notoriously difficult to administer. And ultimately ineffectual since people just find a way around it.

Language is a living thing. It evolves to meet the needs of society at any point in time. 25 years ago only computer geeks were aware of the term "internet" and what it meant. Today everyone uses it as part of the language.

Political correctness is just a means to avoid giving unnecessary offense. At least that is the stated objective per the definition. It has been turned into a partisan blunt object to beat others with.

What baffles me is that the language is so rich and can be used is so many effective ways that it seems pointless to not exploit it to the fullest rather to remain fixated on a tiny subset of objectionable terms.

But if your vocabulary is limited then that is a reflection of your intellect IMO. Suffice to say that those who shun political correctness are themselves, in turn, more than worthy of being shunned for the paucity of the content of their communications.

And "PC" is at best a relative, and subjective, term. Everybody has his/her own line between applying a principle reasonably and taking it too far.

Do you think people are REALLY that thin skinned?

I mean, if someone calls me a "dumb woman" or a "cracker" I think it's funny.... even if they are serious, I still think it's funny!

You are the one suggesting that folks who do not believe as you do think that way because, unlike you, they are not enlightened enough to know the truth. Such arrogance is generally coupled with profound ignorance. Believe what you want but don's be such an ass to those who do not agree with you. You really have absolutely no way of knowing if the Bible was inspired by God or not. You have faith, but that is not the same and knowing.

Arrogant and ignorant. Hmmm not been called those things... well except by people that either are threatened or so totally closed-minded they can't even consider a time change.... but that's okay, you can be hostile. I'll just pray you become a little more kind and tolerant.

I mean, if someone calls me a "dumb woman" or a "cracker" I think it's funny.... even if they are serious, I still think it's funny!

Don't know who that's addressed to but you're obviously not the first term.
The second, we can't tell --- are you salty? Do you taste good with cheese? :eusa_think:

The second, we can't tell --- are you salty? Do you taste good with cheese? :eusa_think:
Oh... I am so not going there! ;)

Now who is being PC? :D

Now who is being PC? :D

I'm just refusing to be baited.... my hesitation has nothing to do with politics! :p

Forum List

Back