CDZ United States of Laziness?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Are we lazy?

If so, why?

Seems to me there is more and more of wanting more for doing less. Why has this sense of "entitlement" permeated our society. Do we have too much? Would it be good for the US to go through a "trial" - where we might have to struggle and band together to survive?

When you emulate the wealthy and powerful, you lose your sense of humility and gentile nature..
Sluts and womanizers are running our affairs like they always have...

Seems to me work ethic is down the drain...

It's all about get what you can for the least amount of effort.

I have seen this with contractors, they would rather pass up work than do a job for a small profit.

I have seen this with contractors, they would rather pass up work than do a job for a small profit.
I still contract, but only for certain people or jobs......I no longer broadcast my abilities to just anyone...

Lazy has its limits. They have to get their butts up to go to the polls every once in a while. I understand Hillary's going relieve them of that indignity.

"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." -- Robert Heinlein.

I still contract, but only for certain people or jobs......I no longer broadcast my abilities to just anyone...

What kind of physical problems? What kind of work? Like anything else in life, moderation is good. My biggest issue is with the overall "attitude" of the US. YOU OWE ME!

"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." -- Robert Heinlein.

Do you believe/support that quote?

Easier isn't always better. Oftentimes, it creates more problems. Define "progress" in this quote.

What kind of physical problems? What kind of work? Like anything else in life, moderation is good. My biggest issue is with the overall "attitude" of the US. YOU OWE ME!
I have a lot of spinal problems....I do construction work and have since 1978....I do all the trades and I am also an Industrial electronics tech and electrician...

I have a lot of spinal problems....I do construction work and have since 1978....I do all the trades and I am also an Industrial electronics tech and electrician...

sounds like retirement time for you. or at least just have the guys do the work for you.
but you are old school work ethic ... people don't work like that anymore, again, a happy medium.

Easier isn't always better. Oftentimes, it creates more problems. Define "progress" in this quote.

It's a pithy quote from a science fiction author. But it does illustrate that simplistic notions of "hard work" are often naive and counter-productive.

It's a pithy quote from a science fiction author. But it does illustrate that simplistic notions of "hard work" are often naive and counter-productive.

I agree. You don't always have to do things the "hard way".

I guess I'm speaking more to work ethic and quality of work. You don't have to kill yourself doing your job, but caring about the details and outcome, that seems to b a lost art.

It's more of a "do just enough to not get fire" mentality.

Whoa Nellie. I'm a general contractor. Why would we work for a small profit? It takes money just to ring your doorbell. Licenses, state and local, vehicle fees, having a vehicle, lettering it, advertising, the bond, insurance on the business and vehicle(s). Then there's tools, equipment and materials.

Why do that for burger flipping wages? It would be cheaper to work at McDonalds.

Whoa Nellie. I'm a general contractor. Why would we work for a small profit? It takes money just to ring your doorbell. Licenses, state and local, vehicle fees, having a vehicle, lettering it, advertising, the bond, insurance on the business and vehicle(s). Then there's tools, equipment and materials.

Why do that for burger flipping wages? It would be cheaper to work at McDonalds.

Small profit meaning $1,000 (profit remember, after all the costs associated) - you'd rather have nothing than walk about from a 2 day job with $1,000?

I guess I'm speaking more to work ethic and quality of work. You don't have to kill yourself doing your job, but caring about the details and outcome, that seems to b a lost art.

Heinlein was a science fiction writer, what did he ever build? Craftsmanship is down, very few younger guys want to get into the trades these days, it's all computer stuff while sitting in an air conditioned office sipping a mocha frappachino.

I've worked hard for 40+ years and could have taken an easier route. Maybe I should have but I like being my own boss. Small business is not easy, I don't care what it is. You need to bust your hump with an espresso stand to make ends meet.

Small profit meaning $1,000 (profit remember, after all the costs associated) - you'd rather have nothing than walk about from a 2 day job with $1,000?
I would take that deal but how do you know their overhead? At $62/hr they may be in the hole.

I don't really mean to contradict the main point you're making here, or derail it with my own soapbox, but I'm fairly sympathetic to those who find little to spark their ambitions in today's work environment, especially those mired in the poverty cycle. If I was in their shoes, I'd be gaming the welfare state for all I could manage and doing just enough for my employer to not fire me. And that's only if I could find a job paying significantly more than welfare offers. That's the position we put people in with the welfare state.

And I guess that's what you're saying as well. I just want to avoid blaming the victim. We set up dumb systems with dumb incentives and then wag our fingers at people when they do dumb things. And that seems, dumb.

I would take that deal but how do you know their overhead? At $62/hr they may be in the hole.

I'm talking about pure profit, taking overhead into account. I have no clue, but, it's a free market.
It just seems that either they don't want the work unless it's big bucks, or, they charge big bucks and do poor work. That has been our experience. If you don't stay on top of them and monitor their every move, they will screw you. That's what I have found.

I don't really mean to contradict the main point you're making here, or derail it with my own soapbox, but I'm fairly sympathetic to those who find little to spark their ambitions in today's work environment, especially those mired in the poverty cycle. If I was in their shoes, I'd be gaming the welfare state for all I could manage and doing just enough for my employer to not fire me. And that's only if I could find a job paying significantly more than welfare offers. That's the position we put people in with the welfare state.

And I guess that's what you're saying as well. I just want to avoid blaming the victim. We set up dumb systems with dumb incentives and then wag our fingers at people when they do dumb things. And that seems, dumb.

There are no absolutes, but, if you take pride in a job, just do your best at it and don't worry about the other stuff. Trust your good work will get you somewhere, and, if you don't like your job, work the current one until you find another. The US is much too free to options - anyone that can't work hard to get ahead is either just not motivated or extremely unlucky (there are the unlucky ones, I'm not that much of a hard-butt).

Forum List

Back