Banker Fired For Rant - I don't agree with this.

I agree that it’s dangerous to make firing people for things they do outside of their work the norm.

We’ve seen where that slippery slope leads. A woke company might fire a competent computer programmer because he posted a Trump for president meme on his Facebook. That would be a horrible abuse IMO, but allowable by the logic.
That so called "slippery slope" has been a thing since the 50s.

Get a DUI conviction and you would be fired from most LEO jobs even back then. Same with most state and federal .gov workers no matter their job.

Not because of the possibility you might not be able to drive (back then you seldom lost your license or had "classes", just a fine) but because you made the agency you worked for look bad.....You have seen the headlines....Deputy so-and-so arrested for DUI, jack-lighting, etc.

These days most employers have a code of conduct a employee signs that spell out the do's and don'ts in broad strokes. One of them is doing things on the street that reflect poorly on the employer.

Our 1st Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech disallows our government from censoring our speech. It doesn’t require a company to tolerate the speech of any employee which might damage the company’s interests.

If I were still working and said some idiotic shit about those “poor Hamas ‘freedom fighters’” without associating my words with my former employer, I am likely not going to be sanctioned by my bosses. But if I said the same imbecilic crap while referencing my employer, they’d be free to terminate my connection to their business.

By the way, I never speak on behalf of my former employers. When I say that Hamas terrorists are scumbag cowards, I am speaking only of my own views.

That so called "slippery slope" has been a thing since the 50s.

Get a DUI conviction and you would be fired from most LEO jobs even back then. Same with most state and federal .gov workers no matter their job.

Not because of the possibility you might not be able to drive (back then you seldom lost your license or had "classes", just a fine) but because you made the agency you worked for look bad.....You have seen the headlines....Deputy so-and-so arrested for DUI, jack-lighting, etc.

These days most employers have a code of conduct a employee signs that spell out the do's and don'ts in broad strokes. One of them is doing things on the street that reflect poorly on the employer.
But what if it’s applied to political affiliation?

Would you support the massive amount of mainstream woke companies firing all republicans/conservatives? Ones that may have posted vanilla memes or statements?

If they ran their mouth against the company's rules then it's "their workplace, their rules".
What if the rules are extremely vague?

Like “no hateful comments”.. and then a guy posts a “Trump 2024” meme, and the woke HR says “OMG! TRUMP IS A HATEFUL PERSON (unproven, and an opinion), SO ENDORSING HIM IS HATE SPEECH!! FIRE HIM!”

would you say that’s appropriate?

A prime requirement of working in business is……you don’t embarrass your boss, you don’t embarrass your company.

If your private assholeness becomes public and people start to say they won’t patronize this business because you work there……you will no longer work there

Good thing that doesn't apply to Biden huh?

Like “no hateful comments”.. and then a guy posts a “Trump 2024” meme, and the woke HR says “OMG! TRUMP IS A HATEFUL PERSON (unproven, and an opinion), SO ENDORSING HIM IS HATE SPEECH!! FIRE HIM!”

Boss gets shit for what you did

You are gone

In the workplace I wouldn't do it

So if a soy-filled college mob of woke Stans complains, the professionals at HR should just listen to them immediately?

Just obey a small minority?
Depends on how much of a headache your employer will put up with.

Are you worth it?

But what if it’s applied to political affiliation?

Would you support the massive amount of mainstream woke companies firing all republicans/conservatives? Ones that may have posted vanilla memes or statements?
Sure, I don't see why not.

This guy will have fun now finding a new job. I guess he can always go back to his make-believe country of "Palestine".

Wall Street banker Kurush Mistry is fired after screaming 'go back to your country' at Jewish American while he covered up posters pleading for the return of Israeli hostages kidnapped by Hamas terrorists​

• Mistry and partner Shailja Gupta have faced huge backlash over the video
  • He had worked at Freepoint Commodities for nine years, according to LinkedIn
  • Footage of the incident in New York was circulated online and went viral

A Wall Street banker has been fired after screaming 'go back to your country' at a Jewish American man while he covered up posters pleading for the return of hostages kidnapped by Hamas terrorists.

Kurush Mistry and his partner Shailja Gupta have faced a huge backlash after the two-minute video posted on social media late last week of the incident on New York's 68th Street and Riverside Boulevard went viral.

Mistry can be seen sticking the poster to a lamppost with Gupta beside him. The Jewish American man asks him: 'What's your name sir? You must be very proud.'

This guy will have fun now finding a new job. I guess he can always go back to his make-believe country of "Palestine".

Wall Street banker Kurush Mistry is fired after screaming 'go back to your country' at Jewish American while he covered up posters pleading for the return of Israeli hostages kidnapped by Hamas terrorists​

• Mistry and partner Shailja Gupta have faced huge backlash over the video
  • He had worked at Freepoint Commodities for nine years, according to LinkedIn
  • Footage of the incident in New York was circulated online and went viral

Time for Sandy Koufax's People to Play Hardball

Forum List

Back