Bank of America announces zero down payment mortgages for Black and Latino homebuyers

Where are you? I was in CA when I got a conventional loan in 1996 with 30% down and PMI was not required. I never saw a PMI REQUIREMENT until after the crash and that was if you had less than 35% down.
I had PMI on my first mortgage too, circa 1985, and I put down more than 10%.

1662161043390.png

I had PMI on my first mortgage too, circa 1985, and I put down more than 10%.
Wow, I never heard of PMI until 2008. Did you have a conventional loan? My first conventional loan was 1996 and I put 30% down. Prior to that, they were both VA or FHA and the last one was after the crash and I only put 10% down (I was required to purchase PMI on that one).

Wow, I never heard of PMI until 2008. Did you have a conventional loan? My first conventional loan was 1996 and I put 30% down. Prior to that, they were both VA or FHA and the last one was after the crash and I only put 10% down (I was required to purchase PMI on that one).
I can’t remember what type of loan it was.

They won't become insolvent. They will just foreclose and sell the property again.
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about the process. RESPA/Reg X requires a LONG loss mitigation process and at least a few loan modification attempts. In the meantime if they have an escrow account the bank needs to pay the taxes and insurance. They need to hire lawyers and pay massive legal bills.

If a mortgagor is smart they can prolong the process for a few years!

Once they do get the people foreclosed and evicted, the home is usually in very bad condition and it goes on the market as a foreclosure. They have to sell it at pennies on the dollar and they always lose money and the new owner is free to finance with who they want.

Every house that is foreclosed on is a massive expense and loss to the bank.

So get a clue before you make ignorant comments!

Last edited:
Only banks that invested heavily in sub prime mortgages collapsed. Insurance companies that insured these mortgages crumbled and went out of business. What hit the banking industry the hardest was government regulators. They targeted small, independent banks that refused to make bad loans and closed them forcing the assets into bigger banks.
You know nothing about this… you truly are ignorant. Subprime lenders got hit hard, but the prime market that pushed the stated loans is what drove the market to collapse. The bad mortgages were packaged as A paper in investments tools and sold across the globe. Nearly destroyed the Icelandic economy. The prime market was the culprit and that is why Appraisal independence, QM/ATR and eventually TRID were added to TILA/Reg Z and Loss Mitigation servicing steps were added to RESPA/Reg X.

If it was only subprime, then the mortgage market wouldn’t have collapsed.

Get a clue…

You know nothing about this… you truly are ignorant. Subprime lenders got hit hard, but the prime market that pushed the stated loans is what drove the market to collapse. The bad mortgages were packaged as A paper in investments tools and sold across the globe. Nearly destroyed the Icelandic economy. The prime market was the culprit and that is why Appraisal independence, QM/ATR and eventually TRID were added to TILA/Reg Z and Loss Mitigation servicing steps were added to RESPA/Reg X.

If it was only subprime, then the mortgage market wouldn’t have collapsed.

Get a clue…
The first to collapse were the mortgage insurers which is why AIG and Bear Sterns went out of business.

Forum List

Back