Bain Capital being investigated for tax evasion

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a round of subpoenas to five private equity firms back in July. He's investigating a rather common practice in the industry known as the "management fee waiver," whereby fees (which would normally be counted as income, taxable up to 35 percent) are converted instead into investments (later taxable at the lower 15 percent capital gains rate). While it's not exactly illegal, ...

End of story.

Next transparent political hatchet job, please.
Slow down there, Speedy.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. tax authorities took no formal action after launching a probe five years ago of tax strategies used by private equity managers at firms such as Bain Capital LLC, leaving a legal gray area that is now being examined by New York's attorney general.

IRS warned, but did not act on tax strategy for private equity - chicagotribune.com

Let the investigations begin!

The IRS hasn't been able to do anything with it, but a partisan NY prosecutor thinks he can show illegality ahead of any action by congress, which has looked at it and failed to pass legislation governing those types accounts in the tax code.

As Toro said, this is transparently political.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a round of subpoenas to five private equity firms back in July. He's investigating a rather common practice in the industry known as the "management fee waiver," whereby fees (which would normally be counted as income, taxable up to 35 percent) are converted instead into investments (later taxable at the lower 15 percent capital gains rate). While it's not exactly illegal, ...

End of story.

Slow down there, Speedy.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. tax authorities took no formal action after launching a probe five years ago of tax strategies used by private equity managers at firms such as Bain Capital LLC, leaving a legal gray area that is now being examined by New York's attorney general.

IRS warned, but did not act on tax strategy for private equity - chicagotribune.com

Let's not, and let's not waste taxpayers' money.

Firm one charges a 1% management fee and a 20% incentive carry.

Firm two charges a 0% management fee and a 21% incentive carry.

That's what's happening here when they talk about a "management fee waiver."

Please tell me what's illegal.

So he's investigating a practice that is entirely legal?

That is soooooooooooo liberal!

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a round of subpoenas to five private equity firms back in July. He's investigating a rather common practice in the industry known as the "management fee waiver," whereby fees (which would normally be counted as income, taxable up to 35 percent) are converted instead into investments (later taxable at the lower 15 percent capital gains rate). While it's not exactly illegal, there has been a growing movement away from the practice, with leading firms such as the Carlyle and Blackstone groups disavowing any use of it.

But several other big firms (including KKR, and Apollo Global Management) still seem pretty keen on it — and none more so than Bain Capital, the private equity outfit founded by Romney in 1984. In fact, it was a cache of internal Bain Capital documents — illustrating how Bain funds converted $1 billion in fees into investments, saving about $220 million in tax liabilities — that first prompted Schneiderman to look into the process, the Times discovered. The documents also showed that Romney continues to receive profits from several funds implicated in this little tax switcheroo, which is why a lawyer for the recently crowned Republican presidential nominee released the following statement:

Investing fee income is a common, accepted and totally legal practice. However, Governor Romney's retirement agreement did not give the blind trust or him the right to do this, and I can confirm that neither he nor the trust has ever done this, whether before or after he retired from Bain Capital.

Private Equity Firms Subpoenaed Over Tax Process -- Daily Intel

I can see you're not a strong believer in "ethics". Course, we already knew that.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a round of subpoenas to five private equity firms back in July. He's investigating a rather common practice in the industry known as the "management fee waiver," whereby fees (which would normally be counted as income, taxable up to 35 percent) are converted instead into investments (later taxable at the lower 15 percent capital gains rate). While it's not exactly illegal, there has been a growing movement away from the practice, with leading firms such as the Carlyle and Blackstone groups disavowing any use of it.

But several other big firms (including KKR, and Apollo Global Management) still seem pretty keen on it — and none more so than Bain Capital, the private equity outfit founded by Romney in 1984. In fact, it was a cache of internal Bain Capital documents — illustrating how Bain funds converted $1 billion in fees into investments, saving about $220 million in tax liabilities — that first prompted Schneiderman to look into the process, the Times discovered. The documents also showed that Romney continues to receive profits from several funds implicated in this little tax switcheroo, which is why a lawyer for the recently crowned Republican presidential nominee released the following statement:

Investing fee income is a common, accepted and totally legal practice. However, Governor Romney's retirement agreement did not give the blind trust or him the right to do this, and I can confirm that neither he nor the trust has ever done this, whether before or after he retired from Bain Capital.

Private Equity Firms Subpoenaed Over Tax Process -- Daily Intel

I can see you're not a strong believer in "ethics". Course, we already knew that.
They don't believe in ethics and morals any longer. Now, everything comes down to whether something is legal or illegal. If it's legal, it's fine with them.

Funny...they didn't have that attitude when Clinton had his totally legal fling with Monica.

They don't believe in ethics and morals any longer. Now, everything comes down to whether something is legal or illegal. If it's legal, it's fine with them.

Funny...they didn't have that attitude when Clinton had his totally legal fling with Monica.

Why are management fee waivers unethical and immoral?

This issue following the typical pattern of 99% of all the posts here follow. Democrat (Republican) accuses something bad for political gain. Democrat (Republican) followers immediately support Democrat (Republican) politician's initiative even though Democrat (Republican) poster really has no idea what the issue is all about. Republican (Democrat) says Democrat (Republican) is wrong and accuses the Democrat (Republican) of politicizing the issue. Then, eventually, someone mentions Hitler. Interchange "liberal" and "conservative" if you wish.

So if anyone wishes to explain why I wrote above is unethical, immoral or illegal, please feel free to do so.

Last edited:

This issue following the typical pattern of 99% of all the posts here follow. Democrat (Republican) accuses something bad for political gain. Democrat (Republican) followers immediately support Democrat (Republican) politician's initiative even though Democrat (Republican) poster really has no idea what the issue is all about. Republican (Democrat) says Democrat (Republican) is wrong and accuses the Democrat (Republican) of politicizing the issue. Then, eventually, someone mentions Hitler. Interchange "liberal" and "conservative" if you wish.

So if anyone wishes to explain why I wrote above is unethical, immoral or illegal, please feel free to do so.

Toro, I know that you understand what a "management fee" is. And I know that you know what a "waiver" is.

So why don't you explain just what combining the two was designed to accomplish IF not a strategy to aviod paying legitimate income tax that was owed.

In other words, what did a management fee waiver allow the investors to accomplish that they couldn't have done without the waiver?

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York’s attorney general is investigating tax strategies of some of the nation’s largest private equity firms, including Bain Capital, founded by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, an official familiar with the probe said Sunday.

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is examining whether the firms have abused a tax strategy to avoid paying hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the probe. The practice involves converting some fees collected for managing accounts into fund investments, resulting in a lower tax rate.

Source: NY attorney general investigating private equity firms, including Romney-founded Bain - The Washington Post

Taxes are something for the little people to pay, not the uber-wealthy. You ordinary folks are supposed to pay the taxes and defend the uber-wealthy elite when class warriors attempt to criticize them for not paying taxes. So stop complaining Chris, and do you job as an ordinary peasant. Say that our Lords such as Lord Romney and his Duchy of Bain are great people who give lots of money to charity and pay plenty of taxes.

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York’s attorney general is investigating tax strategies of some of the nation’s largest private equity firms, including Bain Capital, founded by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, an official familiar with the probe said Sunday.

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is examining whether the firms have abused a tax strategy to avoid paying hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the probe. The practice involves converting some fees collected for managing accounts into fund investments, resulting in a lower tax rate.

Source: NY attorney general investigating private equity firms, including Romney-founded Bain - The Washington Post

Taxes are something for the little people to pay, not the uber-wealthy. You ordinary folks are supposed to pay the taxes and defend the uber-wealthy elite when class warriors attempt to criticize them for not paying taxes. So stop complaining Chris, and do you job as an ordinary peasant. Say that our Lords such as Lord Romney and his Duchy of Bain are great people who give lots of money to charity and pay plenty of taxes.

I believe that you are correct. I think all of us little, middle people should get paid via 1099 income (no withholding) instead of W2 income. And we should all be very familiar with the Sch C (a very friendly form) of the 1040 tax forms. And when we are all done, there won't be anybody left paying taxes.

And the rethugs say; That will be so good.

Better yet. Lets just call all income a "management fee waiver" and just waive the taxes owed until some later point in time. When we feel like paying some tax.

And the rethugs say; better yet.

I believe that you are correct. I think all of us little, middle people should get paid via 1099 income (no withholding) instead of W2 income. And we should all be very familiar with the Sch C (a very friendly form) of the 1040 tax forms. And when we are all done, there won't be anybody left paying taxes.

And the rethugs say; That will be so good.

Better yet. Lets just call all income a "management fee waiver" and just waive the taxes owed until some later point in time. When we feel like paying some tax.

And the rethugs say; better yet.

Such open rebellion by the Commoners of our Land would not be tolerated. Any commoner attempting to cheat will be thrown in the dungeon for many years. Only the uber-wealthy - for whom we owe for all of our jobs, and hence, all that is good - should be allowed to make up the tax rules as they see fit.

Toro, I know that you understand what a "management fee" is. And I know that you know what a "waiver" is.

So why don't you explain just what combining the two was designed to accomplish IF not a strategy to aviod paying legitimate income tax that was owed.

In other words, what did a management fee waiver allow the investors to accomplish that they couldn't have done without the waiver?

In a private equity limited partnership, management fee waivers came about to offset the GP commitment to the fund. Rather than contribute money to the fund themselves, the GP waives the management fee in the amount equal to their commitment they are contractually obligated to the fund. The amount usually accounts for about one year's income of a fund that lasts ten years, and usually is about 5% or less of the partnership's total income.

But again, a partnership can charge anything it wants. Some partnerships take no management fee at all and all their income as carry. That a fund chooses to waive its management is no business of the government, let alone any legal or moral issue.

Last edited:
End of story.

Slow down there, Speedy.

I think the problem is you fail to see that something can be "legal" and still be morally wrong.

Hint. If you slap a struggling company with nine figures of new debt and pay yourself an eight figure "management fee" and eventually they go under because they couldn't bear the weight of your greed...

Yeah, that might be legal, but it is still wrong to do.

Slow down there, Speedy.

I think the problem is you fail to see that something can be "legal" and still be morally wrong.

Hint. If you slap a struggling company with nine figures of new debt and pay yourself an eight figure "management fee" and eventually they go under because they couldn't bear the weight of your greed...

You're talking to people who think their morals should be the law - so no, they can't see the difference between morally and legally wrong.

You're talking to people who think their morals should be the law - so no, they can't see the difference between morally and legally wrong.

So if your "team" is willing to make the argument about what is immoral about management fee offsets - a technical issue that I'm pretty confident saying that almost nobody in this thread knew existed until now - rather than getting all slathered up in a Pavlovian response, feel free because none of you have done so yet, unless "Everything rich guys do is bad" is your argument.

Slow down there, Speedy.

Please tell me why waiving a GP commitment in lieu of management fees is morally wrong.

Thanks.

And FTR, just to remind the Left, the AG is supposed to investigate the law, not morality. Good to see you guys have shifted away from the law to morality on this issue. Guess the AG is wasting his time, eh?

End of story.

Slow down there, Speedy.

Aren't you misrepresenting this just a tad?

The New York probe cuts right to this issue. It’s premised on the notion that when firms convert management fees into either carried or capital interest, they’re illegally evading state taxes. In the case of a capital interest conversion, the fees are simply not taxed at all. In the case of a carried interest transition, execs can defer taxation, and thus potentially reduce their tax burden.

New York AG Investigation Raises Questions About Key Romney Tax Practice | TPMDC

First when is tax evasion a big deal? Democrats do it ALL the time

Forum List

Back