Background Checks: Senate Republicans In Disarray Over Popular Gun Control Measure

They were evacuating an area with the potential of looting going on. Why would they want people running around with guns? Removing those guns makes it safer for the national guard, the police and the public.

You people have your heads up your asses.

So disarming people during an emergency makes people safe? talk about having your head up your ass

This should be easy biggie. Just go ahead and link to all the bad things that happened in NO when the big bad policemen confiscated weapons. Does the red dawn web sites have the story of rape murder and pillage in NO. AFTER the guns were taken? I want to read about it.

James Letten, the chief federal prosecutor in New Orleans, said Tuesday's indictment offered "compelling evidence" against officers who "abused their power in committing violent crimes against unarmed citizens they were sworn to protect."-USA Today
New Orleans indictments further vindicate Bellevue group's post-Katrina lawsuit - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Police officers convicted over Katrina bridge shootings | World news | The Guardian

New Orleans officers guilty in Katrina shootings | Reuters

You might be singing a different tune if you were in NO with no gun my friend.

From what folks who were there told me guns were needed big time. Self defence plus.

No one will confiscate guns in this country. To many voters have guns. Votes are all that count to the Clowns in DC. Anyones vote will do. Even a gun owner.

Just a bunch of kneejerk reaction.

Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people and always will.

Guns also kill people, because when laws don't allow criminals to get guns, people aren't killed as often. Guns make it easy to kill. Once the trigger is pulled that bullet doesn't know who you were targeting.

These are bullshit objections to solutions that would work or reduce homicide by firearms. One guy was talking about making your own shotgun, but only 356 of 8,583 homicides by firearms involved a shotgun. A shotgun doesn't leave a ballistic trace, so why weren't they used more often?

It all boils down to the NRA filling people with propaganda and telling them, you can't do anything to solve the problem, so let's keep everything the way it is so we can keep making money off the status quo.

Government can do things to solve the problems of gun violence in America. It's just not in the NRA's interest to have it changed.

Oh paleeze. Do you thinka criminal gets his gun legally?? Most of em get their guns on street corners and from other criminals or they steal em.

It all boils down to the legal, law abiding gun owner having to jump through hoops to own a gun and the criminal getting his from the huge blackmarket on guns.

If you don't want a gun thats up to you.

My weapon of choice is the shotgun. Lets see how long it takes a 911 call to get a LEO to your residence to save your ass from a gun wielding criminal.

Me? I'll take the opportunity to introduce the criminal up close and personal to my shotgun. If he can get by my dogs that is. Believe me. I will not bat an eye when I stop him. If he dies in the process, Oh well.

As for the NRA? They are a business and do what business does. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

Very few criminals buy their guns on street corners. They just get someone who can pass a background check, if they can't pass one themselves. Getting someone else to buy the weapon means the weapon can't directly be traced to them, even if they can pass a background check. What do you think is stopping criminals from going to guns stores or shows? Even a felon could take someone there who can pass a background check and buy any weapon on sale. You can't look at someone and tell they are a felon.

Guns also kill people, because when laws don't allow criminals to get guns, people aren't killed as often. Guns make it easy to kill. Once the trigger is pulled that bullet doesn't know who you were targeting.

These are bullshit objections to solutions that would work or reduce homicide by firearms. One guy was talking about making your own shotgun, but only 356 of 8,583 homicides by firearms involved a shotgun. A shotgun doesn't leave a ballistic trace, so why weren't they used more often?

It all boils down to the NRA filling people with propaganda and telling them, you can't do anything to solve the problem, so let's keep everything the way it is so we can keep making money off the status quo.

Government can do things to solve the problems of gun violence in America. It's just not in the NRA's interest to have it changed.

Oh paleeze. Do you thinka criminal gets his gun legally?? Most of em get their guns on street corners and from other criminals or they steal em.

It all boils down to the legal, law abiding gun owner having to jump through hoops to own a gun and the criminal getting his from the huge blackmarket on guns.

My weapon of choice is the shotgun. Lets see how long it takes a 911 call to get a LEO to your residence to save your ass from a gun wielding criminal.

Me? I'll take the opportunity to introduce the criminal up close and personal to my shotgun. If he can get by my dogs that is. Believe me. I will not bat an eye when I stop him. If he dies in the process, Oh well.

As for the NRA? They are a business and do what business does. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

Very few criminals buy their guns on street corners. They just get someone who can pass a background check, if they can't pass one themselves. Getting someone else to buy the weapon means the weapon can't directly be traced to them, even if they can pass a background check. What do you think is stopping criminals from going to guns stores or shows? Even a felon could take someone there who can pass a background check and buy any weapon on sale. You can't look at someone and tell they are a felon.

You may be right to some extent but I work with LEO's every day. Forty four of them to be exact.

According to them most get their guns through theft or from a huge blackmarket on guns. You can literally buy a gun in loads of cities across the US if you know who to see and have the money.

Most wouldn't go near a gun show and as for having someone else get a gun? If the gun is used in a crime and the police get hold of it there will be a paper trail. Don't know to many folks who will take the heat for a criminal who used that gun committing a crime.

Of course anything is possible.

You may be right to some extent but I work with LEO's every day. Forty four of them to be exact.

According to them most get their guns through theft or from a huge blackmarket on guns. You can literally buy a gun in loads of cities across the US if you know who to see and have the money.

Most wouldn't go near a gun show and as for having someone else get a gun? If the gun is used in a crime and the police get hold of it there will be a paper trail. Don't know to many folks who will take the heat for a criminal who used that gun committing a crime.

I'm talking about the more sophisticated weapons. There is a paper trail and a way to cover a paper trail, so it won't lead to you. There are people who are drug addicts who will take a chance to get money for drugs or the drugs themselves. Just because you're a drug addict doesn't mean you can't pass a background check. There is also a gang mentality that will get someone to buy a gun for someone as a right of initiation or right of passage for a member, but that could leave a trail, depending on the gang.

They can put enough people between the buyer and the person getting the gun that the gang member could be at the gun show to secure his purchase and the buy and the person who got the buyer wouldn't even know he was there, because there was another person in between. From the actual buyer up the chain they only know the person's face and the name given and they don't give their real name, but from the top down, they know all the details about the people, like their full name and where they live, which is always enough distance apart to keep them from running into each other. The buyer is told the gun will be picked up at the gun show and someone is sent to pick the gun up. Now, how are you going to trace that? Everybody gets what is promised and they go along their way.

The only way I see we could keep guns out of the hands of criminals is to have periodic checks on registered firearms, so we can make sure the same person still owns the weapon. I added the ballistics test to make people fear using that weapon, because the bullet would have a record on file. Unregistered weapons would be confiscated, resold and not around cities.

I'm talking about the more sophisticated weapons. There is a paper trail and a way to cover a paper trail, so it won't lead to you. There are people who are drug addicts who will take a chance to get money for drugs or the drugs themselves. Just because you're a drug addict doesn't mean you can't pass a background check. There is also a gang mentality that will get someone to buy a gun for someone as a right of initiation or right of passage for a member, but that could leave a trail, depending on the gang.

They can put enough people between the buyer and the person getting the gun that the gang member could be at the gun show to secure his purchase and the buy and the person who got the buyer wouldn't even know he was there, because there was another person in between. From the actual buyer up the chain they only know the person's face and the name given and they don't give their real name, but from the top down, they know all the details about the people, like their full name and where they live, which is always enough distance apart to keep them from running into each other. The buyer is told the gun will be picked up at the gun show and someone is sent to pick the gun up. Now, how are you going to trace that? Everybody gets what is promised and they go along their way.

The only way I see we could keep guns out of the hands of criminals is to have periodic checks on registered firearms, so we can make sure the same person still owns the weapon. I added the ballistics test to make people fear using that weapon, because the bullet would have a record on file. Unregistered weapons would be confiscated, resold and not around cities.

Line E Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulate or narcotic drugs, or any other controlled substance
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Sorry to disagree but most criminals just aren't that sophisticated.

As for checks on guns and gun owners I have no problem with that but don't see how it will deter a criminal from getting his hands on a gun. In fact it won't. The blackmarket for guns is huge and nationwide.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. If they have that mindset they will kill and think nothing of it. Our jails are full of people with just that mindset.

As for checks on guns and gun owners I have no problem with that but don't see how it will deter a criminal from getting his hands on a gun. In fact it won't. The blackmarket for guns is huge and nationwide.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. If they have that mindset they will kill and think nothing of it. Our jails are full of people with just that mindset.

It's been discovered many times that less people get killed with less guns. Guns just make it too easy to kill and most killings aren't intentional assassinations. Members of gangs in cities try to show off to each other and killing is part of their game. It isn't that easy to kill without a gun. Those are facts of life.

It's been discovered many times that less people get killed with less guns. Guns just make it too easy to kill and most killings aren't intentional assassinations. Members of gangs in cities try to show off to each other and killing is part of their game. It isn't that easy to kill without a gun. Those are facts of life.

Too bad you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Well yes. A gun does make killing easier but there are other methods that work just as well.

Knife, baseball bat, brick, rock. A little harder but you get the same result in the end.

As I said. Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people. People with that mindset will always find a way. Those are the facts of life.

Show us an example of gun confiscation in America!
You are just too stupid.
New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms as Water Recedes
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08cnd-storm.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Hey, dumbass, that was a local state matter during a state of emergency - not the federal government.
He was asked for an example of confiscation; he provided one.
Why do you want to move the goalposts?

They aren't.

They aren't what? Sane or against background checks?
A sane person isn't against universal background checks and I don't think they would be against my annual renewable registration of all firearm and ballistics file, too.
Aside from the fact that background checks are a form or prior reatraint and gun regustration is a precondition to the exercise of the right and thus infringes on the right -- nope, no one would be against it.

Forum List

Back