Bachmann - Candidate without a church

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann has long been a darling of conservative evangelicals, but shortly before announcing her White House bid, she officially quit a church she’d belonged to for years.

Bachmann, a Minnesota congresswoman, and her husband, Marcus, withdrew their membership from Salem Lutheran Church in Stillwater, Minnesota, last month, according to church officials.

The Bachmanns had been members of the church for more than 10 years, according to Joel Hochmuth, director of communications for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the broader denominational body of which Bachmann’s former church is a member.

The church council granted the Bachmanns’ request to be released from their membership on June 21, Hochmuth said.

Hmmm... :eusa_think:

Michele Bachmann officially leaves her church – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann has long been a darling of conservative evangelicals, but shortly before announcing her White House bid, she officially quit a church she’d belonged to for years.

Bachmann, a Minnesota congresswoman, and her husband, Marcus, withdrew their membership from Salem Lutheran Church in Stillwater, Minnesota, last month, according to church officials.

The Bachmanns had been members of the church for more than 10 years, according to Joel Hochmuth, director of communications for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the broader denominational body of which Bachmann’s former church is a member.

The church council granted the Bachmanns’ request to be released from their membership on June 21, Hochmuth said.

Evil conspiracy I'm sure..

Boy...you guys will go to all lengths to discredit a conservative woman.
Next we will see a post saying that Bachmann has changed supermarkets and now shops at Stop and Shop......likely becuase she found out that the owner of Waldbaums supermarkets is Jewish.

Suggestion...if you really care about ensuring we have the right person in the white house, spend time analyzing the virtues of a candidate and stop- seeking unwarranted criticisms.

Or do what you do....

Next we will see a post saying that Bachmann has changed supermarkets and now shops at Stop and Shop......likely becuase she found out that the owner of Waldbaums supermarkets is Jewish.

Suggestion...if you really care about ensuring we have the right person in the white house, spend time analyzing the virtues of a candidate and stop- seeking unwarranted criticisms.

Or do what you do....

And you'll go to all lengths to defend rightwingnut loons. I wonder how far back we need to go back to read posts that rightwingnut loons wrote about the president's church.

The correlation seems to escape you.

Or do what you do....

And you'll go to all lengths to defend rightwingnut loons. I wonder how far back we need to go back to read posts that rightwingnut loons wrote about the president's church.

The correlation seems to escape you.

the fact that you insist on using "rightwing loons" speaks volumes of the intergity of your posts.
I did not criticize the church of Obama. I did, however, question the character of a man that would refer to someone with Wrights ideology as a "mentor".
Ironically, for some reason, people like you who are so quick to point out racism...even when it may not exist but may seem to exist if miscontrued....refused to even address the Wroight issue as disturbing...you automatically said "he is being taken out of context"....

Which, by the way, is fine if in fact you are fair and balanced and point out when things are taken out of context as it pertains to right leaning candidates.

But you dont. You AUTOMATICAlLY blast whatever someone on the right says that CAN BE taken out of context.

So take your partisan comments like the one I just addressed and use them on someone else.

• Banned
Bachmann was smart to quit this church. They are well known to be anti-Catholic.

Although the timing makes it look more politically expedient than an honest abhorrence to the church's bigotry.

Bachmann was smart to quit this church. They are well known to be anti-Catholic.

Although the timing makes it look more politically expedient than an honest abhorrence to the church's bigotry.

No doubt she left the church for political expediency......would you expect any less of any politician on either side?

• Banned

No doubt she left the church for political expediency......would you expect any less of any politician on either side?

I would not.

However, I would have preferred that Obama quit Wright's church once he started spouting racism and I would have preferred that Bachmann quit this church once it was clear they were anti-Catholic. Neither did until it became a political liability.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

I would not.

However, I would have preferred that Obama quit Wright's church once he started spouting racism and I would have preferred that Bachmann quit this church once it was clear they were anti-Catholic. Neither did until it became a political liability.

My answer?
Dont let them get away with it.
As you did with THIS story.....the same was done with the Wright story.
But THIS story will likely prove to be a downfall for Bachmann....as I hear more about it, I will likely scratch her off my long list.
For Obama...the left ignored the story...rationalized it in any way they could...and criticized those, such as me, who was bothered by it.

But it should have bothered EVERYONE......

The question is not that Bachmann quit her church for political expediency, but whether she still maintains a rather extreme prejudice against the Catholic Church, still considers the Pope to be an agent of the devil and continues to hope for "the end of times".

I'd rather not have a POTUS hoping for an "end of times"; would any sane person?

Was the church she left a crazy reverand wright style or westborough baptist style church?

Now that would be a story!

I would not.

My answer?
But THIS story will likely prove to be a downfall for Bachmann....as I hear more about it, I will likely scratch her off my long list.
For Obama...the left ignored the story...rationalized it in any way they could...and criticized those, such as me, who was bothered by it.

I think it did bother most people, even those who downplayed it. But consider the alternatives at the time. Hillary had a guy killed. And 'one foot in the grave' McCain picked a lunatic for a running mate.

have you watched her on TV interviews? I haven't heard anything new since the first one.

And yes im a teapartier saying bachman has told me NOTHING other than the same limited talking points she has and I find that, well, lame.

I prefer romney or cain (if he could shut his mouth on the muslim thing) to bachman...hell i might take Palin over Bachman (please give me a different choice republicans).

I am suffering from ABO syndrome right now but still, i dont know if the ABO is strong enough to counter how I feel on this one.

(Anybody but Obama syndrome, a mutation of the ABB syndrome)

I would not.

My answer?

I think it did bother most people, even those who downplayed it. But consider the alternatives at the time. Hillary had a guy killed. And 'one foot in the grave' McCain picked a lunatic for a running mate.

In my opinon the comparison between Obama's former church and Bachmann's former church is a canard. Rev. Wrights inflammatory sermons had and have a foundation of fact, hyperbolic as his language was, it is the language commonly used by members of the clergy to arouse the emotions, passions and even the prejudices of the people.

Bachmann's church did the same, as video evidence will suggest. While the deliver of the sermon is different the message is the same, demagoguery, but facts are on the side of Rev. Wright.

Michele Bachmann thinks the world is ending and the pope is the antichrist - War Room - Salon.com

My answer?

In my opinon the comparison between Obama's former church and Bachmann's former church is a canard. Rev. Wrights inflammatory sermons had and have a foundation of fact, hyperbolic as his language was, it is the language commonly used by members of the clergy to arouse the emotions, passions and even the prejudices of the people.

Bachmann's church did the same, as video evidence will suggest. While the deliver of the sermon is different the message is the same, demagoguery, but facts are on the side of Rev. Wright.

Michele Bachmann thinks the world is ending and the pope is the antichrist - War Room - Salon.com

it is fact that there is a higher crime rate amongst the black community than there is elsewhere.
But there is reason for that and not something I would attribute to the race as a whole.
But if I were a preacher and I preached about the race as a whole as I blasted the high crime rate in black neighborhoods, it would be outright wrong...I would be frowned upon...memebers of my congregation would be (or should be) frowned upon...and likely it would affect the political career of anyone in my congregation.

Your citing "facts are on the side of Wright" is EXACTLY what I was referring to when I said the left "rationalized it" any way they could.

Personally, I saw it as pathetic and desperate.

It really isn't that uncommon for people to change churches. Church leaders change with time, and with the changing of the guard, the idealogy of churches as well.

My church lost its pastor, and upon the hiring of a new pastor, quite a few families left because they didn't agree with his practice of using different versions of the bible besides the KJ. It happens all the time, no biggie.

it is fact that there is a higher crime rate amongst the black community than there is elsewhere.
But there is reason for that and not something I would attribute to the race as a whole.
But if I were a preacher and I preached about the race as a whole as I blasted the high crime rate in black neighborhoods, it would be outright wrong...I would be frowned upon...memebers of my congregation would be (or should be) frowned upon...and likely it would affect the political career of anyone in my congregation.

Your citing "facts are on the side of Wright" is EXACTLY what I was referring to when I said the left "rationalized it" any way they could.

Yet you've never walked in Rev. Wright's shoes or have been black in America. I'm not rationalizing anything, I'm simply offering an opinion which does not condemn someone whose life experience I have not lived. Each member of his parish made and makes their own decisions.

At least she didnt wait until videos of her pastor surfaced yelling "god Damn America!"

It really isn't that uncommon for people to change churches. Church leaders change with time, and with the changing of the guard, the idealogy of churches as well.

My church lost its pastor, and upon the hiring of a new pastor, quite a few families left because they didn't agree with his practice of using different versions of the bible besides the KJ. It happens all the time, no biggie.

And it takes a long time to become dissatisfied enough with a church to leave it. At least for most of us. A little over a year ago Mr. Foxfyre and I left a denomination that had married us, where we made most of our very best friends, and to which we have belonged for decades now. I won't go into the reasons, but it was a matter of conscience and ethics when the negatives outweighed the positives. Like Bachmann and her husband, we now attend a non denominational church.

It is instructive though that Bachmann left her church BEFORE she announced she would seek the presidency and not due to any kind of public pressure. That is quite different from applauding, then defending, and then throwing under the bus a church nobody with a conscience could defend.

The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod has been criticised by some Catholics for its views on the papacy institution, which it calls the ‘Antichrist’, reported CNN.

But a spokesman for the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights said they see ‘no evidence of any bigotry’ in Mrs Bachmann.

They officially left last month - shortly before her presidential campaign was launched, a Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod spokesman said.

Read more: Michele Bachmann leaves Salem Lutheran Church criticised by Catholics | Mail Online

Yet you've never walked in Rev. Wright's shoes or have been black in America. I'm not rationalizing anything, I'm simply offering an opinion which does not condemn someone whose life experience I have not lived. Each member of his parish made and makes their own decisions.

you may not recognize it, but you are rationalizing it.

Walking in his footsteps or not does not change anything. He may have every reason to feel as he does...and I respect him as a man I would deem as passionate but jaded from personal experiences.

But for a member of his congregation to refer to him as a mentor? THAT I have an issue with IF he is going to be the President of the United States and my CiC.

But you see...you, and people like you...and the media....all made it about Wright. It was not about Wright in my eyes. It was about a man who asked to be our President who admittedly referred to Wright as his mentor. A mentor is one who has the wisdom to guide the way his/her student thinks and grows.

It was not at all about Wright.

Forum List

Back