B’Tselem report delivers blow to narrative that November attack on Gaza was ‘surgical

"...The Palestinians have, over time, become a coherent people as coherent as the Israelis..."
Sorry, Coyote, but (even as a long-lapsed Roman) I cannot buy into this 'equivalency' that you weave here for us. I have mixed reactions to the rest of your post, but I can't let this item slide without at least a wee bit o' feedback.

The identity of an Israeli is by-and-large the identify of a Jew. Not all Jews are Israelis but nearly all Israelis are Jews - metaphorically speaking. It is the Jewish Homeland. The Home Base. The MotherShip. Eretz Israel - a concept stretching back 3,000 years or more.

When the Palestinians have a land which their genetic and/or spiritual ancestors occupied 3,000 years back in time as a recognizable Palestinian entity and when the Palestinians have experienced 1,900 years of Disapora and pogrom and persecution and expellings and when they have lost 6,000,000 of their men, women and children to genocide and when they have held themselves together as a recognizable People and Language and Belief System through all of that and then bounced back and retaken their Sacred Ancestral Lands after a 1,900 year-long absence and then held it against all comers and incredible odds...

Then... and ONLY then... will I (as one man's opinion) concede the sort of Equivalency that you are suggesting here.

The amount of suffering (and resultant cohesion) experienced by the Palestinians, compared to that experienced by the Jews, is rather like comparing a flea to an elephant.

That's admittedly a personal opinion and relativistic, but there's a fairly strong case for such a perspective.

Or so it seems to yours truly... ;-)

You seem to lack knowledge of ZIONISTS colonizing Palestine. We started the 1900s with Jews only 10 percent of the population and the other 90 percent were nonJew Palestinians. And Israel only became a nation in 1948 and it was by virtute of a UN Partition Plan that also legitmized an Arab State. The intl authorities agree the borders of the Palestinian State include East Jerusalem and the West Bank and Gaza. The problem is Israel refuses to remove her soldiers and illegal settlers from these lands and end her Occupation of Palestine.

sherri----you don't have a statement----you
just have a bunch of buzzwords strung
together

that "colonizer" thing is silly. EMPIRES
COLONIZE-------the PERSIAN EMPIRE
COLONIZED, The GREEK EMPIRE COLONIZED
The HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE COLONIZED
the ISLAMIC EMPIRE COLONIZED etc etc

JEWS ARE NOT AN EMPIRE ---jews migrated
to palestine

who "started" in the 1900s? the migration
of jews to palestine occured in many episodes
over the past 2000 years----generally put down
violently by isa-worshippers

the episode that led to this modern era began
in the 1800s when the turks began to
understand that shariah is no damned good
and jews could actually OWN LAND <gasp>
a right denied jews even by your kith and kin
in several parts of the rest of the world

10% jews? considering the decimation of
the jewish population by the spawn of
constantine
and the meccan isa -respecters ----that was
big survival ----thanks ----I appreciate it

so what is your point--you regret that survival?
too damned bad....live with it. Good thing
the decision was not left to you---you and
yours
did manage comprehensive genocides in lots of
other places ---of lots of different peoples --
try to be satisfied with the ocean of blood--
how many OCEANS do you want?

"...the justification floated by some based on the existence of an ancient nation is flawed."
And, being one who who (just earlier today) invoked that justification...

If it's any help, I, for one, am entirely prepared to admit that the justification is flawed.

Not fatally damaged, mind you, but flawed.

Nevertheless, it is sufficient to the day.

And it has the added appeal of a 1900-year-old Dream-Come-True for a people who haven't had a homeland of their own in all of that time, never mind the Holocaust Guilt Factor.

It is sufficient to the day.

It is a reality - one that they carved out for themselves, with a little outside help, once they had proven themselves in battle.

And, of course, when all is said-and-done, and we get past all the juicy rationalizations and justifications and pontifications by both sides, there is one single and ultimately salient factor that trumps everything else, best expressed as...

Vae victus.

Last edited:
B'tselem is a strictly Israeli organization that deals with all peoples within Israeli held territories. Why would it bother with Syria?
I didn't know that. I just figured the Palestinians in Syria were of concern to their government since they are in danger of becoming victims of the coming genocide.
So in other words the Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank who aren't in any danger (until they bring it on themselves) are more valuable then Palestinians currently in another country? Makes no sense. Remind me when I move to Palestine and become a Palestinian not to visit another country.

I fail to understand what you are saying. Are you saying regional human rights and aid organizations should be concerned and responsive to events world wide?
Well we know that there are Christian organization keeping track of what is happening to their brethren in the Muslim world so why can't there be Muslim organizations keeping track of what is happening to their fellow Muslims in places like Syria, Iraq and Pakistan? Don't these people count to them?

You seem to lack knowledge of ZIONISTS colonizing Palestine. We started the 1900s with Jews only 10 percent of the population and the other 90 percent were nonJew Palestinians. And Israel only became a nation in 1948 and it was by virtute of a UN Partition Plan that also legitmized an Arab State. The intl authorities agree the borders of the Palestinian State include East Jerusalem and the West Bank and Gaza. The problem is Israel refuses to remove her soldiers and illegal settlers from these lands and end her Occupation of Palestine.
The Palestinians had their chance for a lasting peace, right up to 1967.

The victory in 1967 and the capture of Jerusalem changed everything.

Now in possession of The Golan and Jerusalem, they will never give them back.

And, without Jerusalem, there is no focal point for 'Palestine'.

It's time to recognize that beating your head against the wall for 65 years has put you in an even worse position than before, that the land-fragments still remaining are not enough to create a viable and sustainable State, and to gather up your families, and move somewhere else, and begin new lives in that new place, where you can be happier.

The War for Palestine is long over - it ended in 1967 - mop-up and absorption operations continue.

Last edited:
Kondor (and RoccoR) are absolutely right when they say there will never be a Palestinian state.

Most people around the world (not only in the West) are not psychologically prepared to face this reality yet, having been indoctrinated since birth that the partition of Palestine is as inexorable as a physical law like gravity.

So they will continue to make up well-intentioned but pathetic imaginary partition plans and talk about a state that will never exist except in their own minds.

Kondor and Rocco deserve a standing ovation for belonging to the first "generation" of westerners to recognise what has always been patently obvious for the experts on this conflict.

Having said that, it's wishful thinking on their part to say the palestinian national identity will eventually dilute itself through assimilation into the neighboring arab countries.

There will be a single state in Palestine... take it to the bank.

It's just that it won't be the kind of state Kondor and Rocco have in mind.

100 or so years from now, when historians study the peaceful dismantlement of the jewish state and its evolution towards a state of citizens they will surely conclude that an extremely complex, multi-faceted, long-term combination of the palestinian armed struggle, replaced over time by a peaceful movement for equal rights inspired by Gandhi, Luther King, and (I'm sad to say) skyscrapper demolition in America and other western countries, eventually convinced the world that keeping the palestinian people herded in ethnic enclaves was a morally depraved way to guarantee the safety of the jewish people.

Last edited:
José;7237551 said:
"...There will be a single state in Palestine... take it to the bank. It's just that it won't be the kind of state Kondor and Rocco have in mind..."
Marvelous segue... ;-) I doubt your projected outcome, but well-delivered, nonetheless. :clap2:

José;7237551 said:
Kondor (and RoccoR) are absolutely right when they say there will never be a Palestinian state.

Most people around the world (not only in the West) are not psychologically prepared to face this reality yet, having been indoctrinated since birth that the partition of Palestine is as inexorable as a physical law like gravity.

So they will continue to make up well-intentioned but pathetic imaginary partition plans and talk about a state that will never exist except in their own minds.

Kondor and Rocco deserve a standing ovation for belonging to the first "generation" of westerners to recognise what has always been patently obvious for the experts on this conflict.

Having said that, it's wishful thinking on their part to say the palestinian national identity will eventually dilute itself through assimilation into the neighboring arab countries.

There will be a single state in Palestine... take it to the bank.

It's just that it won't be the kind of state Kondor and Rocco have in mind.

100 or so years from now, when historians study the peaceful dismantlement of the jewish state and its evolution towards a state of citizens they will surely conclude that an extremely complex, multi-faceted, long-term combination of the palestinian armed struggle, replaced over time by a peaceful movement for equal rights inspired by Gandhi, Luther King, and (I'm sad to say) skyscrapper demolition in America and other western countries, eventually convinced the world that keeping the palestinian people herded in ethnic enclaves was a morally depraved way to guarantee the safety of the jewish people.

Demographics will ultimately take care of everything, I have been saying that for a long time. I was just reading about how back in 1948 almost all of the Palestinians were ethnically cleansed from Israel, I think there were a little over 100000 left, but now their numbers have risen to 20 percent of the population. And in the OPT there are 4 million more Palestinians to add to the over 1 million in Israel. They are not going anywhere. Really, its best for the Palestinians to not negotiate and simply take a stand for equal rights.

I didn't know that. I just figured the Palestinians in Syria were of concern to their government since they are in danger of becoming victims of the coming genocide.
So in other words the Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank who aren't in any danger (until they bring it on themselves) are more valuable then Palestinians currently in another country? Makes no sense. Remind me when I move to Palestine and become a Palestinian not to visit another country.

I fail to understand what you are saying. Are you saying regional human rights and aid organizations should be concerned and responsive to events world wide?
Well we know that there are Christian organization keeping track of what is happening to their brethren in the Muslim world so why can't there be Muslim organizations keeping track of what is happening to their fellow Muslims in places like Syria, Iraq and Pakistan? Don't these people count to them?

There might well be but what does that have to do with B'teselm?

Well, Coyote, such big "humanitarians" that this group is supposed to be, one would think that a few of them would actually be keeping track of what is going on in Syria since it is a neighboring country and tens of thousands have been killed, many of them Palestinians and God only know how many wounded there are, including Palestinians. Do you know of any Muslim organizations who are doing this? However, I can see why you and Frau Sherri lap up ever word that this group puts out, even though it might be false.
B´Tselem

Well, Coyote, such big "humanitarians" that this group is supposed to be, one would think that a few of them would actually be keeping track of what is going on in Syria since it is a neighboring country and tens of thousands have been killed, many of them Palestinians and God only know how many wounded there are, including Palestinians. Do you know of any Muslim organizations who are doing this? However, I can see why you and Frau Sherri lap up ever word that this group puts out, even though it might be false.
B´Tselem

You are simply not making sense or, more likely, you are attempting in typical hossfly manner, to derail the discussion.

B'teselem is an organization with specific objectives and a specific area it serves. In that respect, it's like many other regional groups. For some odd reason you have expectations that they should cover the world or..all Palestinians despite the fact that their objective is not just Palestinians but both settlers and Palestinians in the Occupied Territories.

Oddly, you speak of Sherri and myself "lapping up" B'teselem's words yet, we are in good company it seems since B'teselem has such a good reputation that the Israeli government takes it seriously and listens.

Maybe you should choose some other group to attack.

By the way, did you look critically at the source you chose? For examle, it's doners and supporters? http://reportorg.org/donors.html

Or it's bias'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGO_Monitor

B´Tselem

You are simply not making sense or, more likely, you are attempting in typical hossfly manner, to derail the discussion.

B'teselem is an organization with specific objectives and a specific area it serves. In that respect, it's like many other regional groups. For some odd reason you have expectations that they should cover the world or..all Palestinians despite the fact that their objective is not just Palestinians but both settlers and Palestinians in the Occupied Territories.

Oddly, you speak of Sherri and myself "lapping up" B'teselem's words yet, we are in good company it seems since B'teselem has such a good reputation that the Israeli government takes it seriously and listens.

By the way, did you look critically at the source you chose? For examle, it's doners and supporters? REPORT

Or it's bias'? NGO Monitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Have you ever thought that perhaps the Israeli government listens to what they say and doesn't believe even half of what they say? Could you possibly post something which says that the Israeli government takes this group very seriously because many times groups are taken seriously because they are troublemakers. However, Coyote, if it makes you feel good to take everything this group says, why should you be denied that pleasure.
NGO: Public Radio Favors Pro-Arab B'tselem - Inside Israel - News - Israel National News

B´Tselem

By the way, did you look critically at the source you chose? For examle, it's doners and supporters? REPORT

Have you ever thought that perhaps the Israeli government listens to what they say and doesn't believe even half of what they say? Could you possibly post something which says that the Israeli government takes this group very seriously because many times groups are taken seriously because they are troublemakers. However, Coyote, if it makes you feel good to take everything this group says, why should you be denied that pleasure.
NGO: Public Radio Favors Pro-Arab B'tselem - Inside Israel - News - Israel National News

Actually, I think it's more likely that some folks can't stomach an organization that gives Palestinians a fair hearing or is critical of bad behavior from both sides instead of sticking to the established story lines :)

NGO (ie Israel Media Watch (IMW)- I find it hard to credit them seriously given the criticisms levied at them and what smacks of a strong bias.

Either way...I still can't figure out why B'tselem is supposed to be doing something about areas outside of it's mandate.

Actually, I think it's more likely that some folks can't stomach an organization that gives Palestinians a fair hearing or is critical of bad behavior from both sides instead of sticking to the established story lines :)

NGO (ie Israel Media Watch (IMW)- I find it hard to credit them seriously given the criticisms levied at them and what smacks of a strong bias.

Either way...I still can't figure out why B'tselem is supposed to be doing something about areas outside of it's mandate.
I guess we are even then, Coyote, because I can't fathom why there are people who believe every word which comes out of a Leftist's mouth. By the way, you mean to tell us that the Leftists don't want to keep track of what is happening in a neighboring country where such a huge amount of people have been killed? You would think that such a "humanitarian" group would have contacts in neighboring countries so that the world can see what is going on from "the horse's mouth" so to speak. Meanwhile, I guess there are those of us who will take what this organization reports the same way we saw that "dead" man fall off the stretcher and then got back on. However, you of course can believe what you want to believe just as I can believe what I want to believe

I guess we are even then, Coyote, because I can't fathom why there are people who believe every word which comes out of a Leftist's mouth. By the way, you mean to tell us that the Leftists don't want to keep track of what is happening in a neighboring country where such a huge amount of people have been killed? You would think that such a "humanitarian" group would have contacts in neighboring countries so that the world can see what is going on from "the horse's mouth" so to speak. Meanwhile, I guess there are those of us who will take what this organization reports the same way we saw that "dead" man fall off the stretcher and then got back on. However, you of course can believe what you want to believe just as I can believe what I want to believe

You are trying to change the direction of the conversation into a left/right context.

I'm going to keep it simple. Humanitarian groups generally work within guidelines and charters. Some are widespread, some are geographically tied or tied only to certain ethnicities or religions. B'tselem has apparently garnered a great deal of respect for it's independent investigations. They deal directly with the Knesset and other Israeli institutions and seem to be well regarded.

You state: You would think that such a "humanitarian" group would have contacts in neighboring countries so that the world can see what is going on from "the horse's mouth" so to speak.

This is just another one of your typical derailing tactics...so to speak:eusa_eh:

I fail to understand why an Israeli organization dedicated to working with Israel and the Palestinians within the Occupied Territories should be expected to change it's charter and focus. Do you hold similar expectations of other regional or narrowly focused humanitarian groups?

B´Tselem

Actually, there are Muslim organizations engaged in humantarian relief in Syria, a couple of examples:
Life in Syria - Life for Relief and Development
Help Syrian people - Donate Now : Muslim Aid

Jumping back in briefly, to follow-up on my earlier Quisling or Fifth Columnist remarks concerning this particular Israeli N(on) P(rofit) O(rganization)...

The long-standing conclusion that I have drawn - rightly or wrongly - from my own personal experience with with large-scale charity or social-services or advocacy NPO's here in the US - is that Advocacy or Rights organizations such as B'teselm are usually directed and managed and largely staffed by humanists.

Such NPO's are usually more devoted to humanity-at-large than they are their own country and their own countrymen.

In theory, this is actually a good thing rather than a bad thing, but, in practice, this inherent Bias (or Anti-Bias) can sour and become highly problematic, and lead to a loss of objectivity and credibility - especially if the NPO is a One-Trick-Pony with a narrow range of focus, such as focusing exclusively upon one particular conflict or topical domain.

Such organizations do not remain on their feet for long unless there is something to fuss about; without ongoing controversy and nastiness to investigate and to trumpet or protest, there is no organization.

This can have the effect of slowly-but-surely slanting the nature of the Findings of the research and investigations of such NPO's - reaching more negative or damning or one-sided conclusions than might be obtained by bringing fresh faces and fresh minds to bear upon the investigation of a particular incident.

Conversely, there is something to be said in praise of experience in such investigations and research and publication and protest - nolo contendere - no contest - and it may prove accurate to posit that an experienced investigative body will do a better job of it than would a gaggle of amateurs or outsiders or novices.

But we need to be equally aware of the Justify-Our-Existence aspect of such long-standing groups - without something to fuss about, they go out of business - and, as much as we would all like to believe that all Human Rights Organizations are entirely objective and unbiased, the sad truth is that everything is political - including the operations and the outcomes produced by such NPO's.

This is not to say that such an NPO might not be entirely accurate and truthful and appropriate and professional in their research and investigations, and this is not to say that the conclusions they've drawn or the findings they've published pertaining to Incident A or B or C might not be dead-on-target... but we need to look at each and every Case, and we need to look at each and every set of Findings, with a keen eye, and to be aware of the inherent prejudices of the NPO, as well.

It's easy to dismiss the prejudices of an NPO as minimal or nonexistent because they often criticize their own government or military or policy, but a potential bias against one's own people holds its own prospects for problems with reliability and credibility and objectivity.

I have noticed two main schools of thought on this and other boards over time... the Internationalist School which ignores borders and 'local' loyalties in favor of humanity at large, and the Nationalist School which favors one's own country and countrymen.

Most of us here seem to belong to the Nationalist School which favors our own country and countrymen over others, but a lot of us are what I would term practitioners of a 'modified Nationalist outlook' - inclined and most frequently siding with their own folks, but capable of seeing the other side of the coin and even occasionally sympathizing with the other side; a healthy state of affairs that blends God-King-and-Country with some modern Global Village and Humanitarian thinking.

And I (and I suspect, many others) would not have it any other way.

Nevertheless, folks tend to distrust people - or organizations (NPOs) - whose business is to find (or fabricate or warp or spin) material that becomes grist for the propaganda mills of the Enemy during wartime or times of Great National Danger.

In such circumstances - even when they're telling the truth - they come off looking like Traitors and Seditionists and Quislings and Fifth Columnists and Little Boys Who Cry Wolf All the Time.

It is even possible that the leadership and staff of such organizations are motivated in part by a fear of the other side eventually winning, and foolishly and spinelessly trying to hedge their bets to prove to the Victors on some future date that they were on the side of the Victors, all along, but that is - admittedly - stretching things more than a bit - even if it is worth mentioning in passing.

It is entirely possible that this Israeli NPO is upright and a straight-shooter and interested in nothing more than Truth and Justice and consequences be damned.

But it is also possible that they - themselves - are a mixed bag of motives and influences and goals - not all of them admirable nor forthright.

Nevertheless, and regardless...

When your Main Mission is to seek-out Wrongdoing by your own Defenders - and when these outcomes routinely become grist for the Enemy Propaganda Mill - you have an Image Problem.

This does not speak to "Truth", but it does speak to how the "Truth" is spun.

Or so it seems, to this observer... :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
B´Tselem

Actually, there are Muslim organizations engaged in humantarian relief in Syria, a couple of examples:
I am glad to hear that, Coyote. Are they helping the needy Christians too, the way Americans give to relief organizations to help the needy Muslims in their impoverished countries?

B´Tselem

I am glad to hear that, Coyote. Are they helping the needy Christians too, the way Americans give to relief organizations to help the needy Muslims in their impoverished countries?

It would seem so: Life/MBRC Team Distributing Food inside Haiti - Life for Relief and Development

Forum List

Back