Australia is killing millions of feral cats with poisoned sausages

The New York Post/The Sun/AP ^ | April 26, 2019

Australian officials are killing millions of feral cats by airdropping frozen sausages laced with poison across the Outback. The felines die within 15 minutes of ingesting the toxic treats, which are produced at a factory close to Perth. But in a bid to kill as many as possible, officials also trap and shoot the creatures. The sausages are made with kangaroo meat, chicken fat, herbs, spices and the poison, 1080, the New York Times reported

------------

We have all heard the song "Who let the dogs out" well who let all the cats out?.... Cats are an invasive species in Australia but can you imagine the RAT infestation without them........

1. Poison is extremely cruel. Depending on the type, it causes seizures, hemorrhaging, or burns.

2. Poisons are not selective. This bait will kill non-target species, as well.

3. Cat haters love to go on about the supposed environmental damage that cats cause. However, the damage caused by allowing rodents and other small animals to breed without any checks on their population is worse. Despite what cat-haters who hide behind environmental concerns claim, cats *are* an integral part of ecosystems that humans inhabit.

I wonder, now that this cruel program has been publicized, how much longer it will last?.....and since the government has taken all the guns... Well you get my drift......The Japanese have a cat island, I'm sure there are many uninhabited Islands just scattered all around Australia....it could become a huge tourist attraction as those industrious Japanese have done!

I like cats. Cats are very good in the hands of good people. People who don't like them don't like them mainly because they aren't as dependent on people as dogs. But a large population of feral cats doesn't exist without a food source. If the cats are there, it is because something is feeding them. It would have been better to go after that and let the cats adjust numbers accordingly.

I'll admit I'm not a cat person,but that didnt come into play when I wanted em gone.
They shit and pissed everywhere and killed all the local wildlife.

They were surviving.

Had they been most dogs, they would have been wandering the streets, tail between legs, dejected, looking for someone to adopt them. Cats are tough little creatures. But given half the chance, they make amazing gentle, loving pets.
The problem with cats is that you have very tiny window for them to bond with humans. About eight weeks. After that, they remain feral for life and cannot be tamed.

However, if you can catch enough of either gender in a location and sterilize them, the population quickly begins to fall off. Feral cats don't live as long as housecats, maybe 7 or 8 years. While they are alive, they are hardy animals, but living outdoors shortens their lifespans.

That's BULLSHIT. I've had feral cats totally wild that we have tamed as adults. Here's one. It takes the right person. But you are right. If you want to be HUMANE about it, catching feral cats and sterilizing them is the way to control their population.

View attachment 258680
It isn't bullshit, but whatever.

Okay, it seems that there is a technique for taming feral cats if your willing to put in the time.

I like cats. Cats are very good in the hands of good people. People who don't like them don't like them mainly because they aren't as dependent on people as dogs. But a large population of feral cats doesn't exist without a food source. If the cats are there, it is because something is feeding them. It would have been better to go after that and let the cats adjust numbers accordingly.

I'll admit I'm not a cat person,but that didnt come into play when I wanted em gone.

They were surviving.

Had they been most dogs, they would have been wandering the streets, tail between legs, dejected, looking for someone to adopt them. Cats are tough little creatures. But given half the chance, they make amazing gentle, loving pets.
The problem with cats is that you have very tiny window for them to bond with humans. About eight weeks. After that, they remain feral for life and cannot be tamed.

However, if you can catch enough of either gender in a location and sterilize them, the population quickly begins to fall off. Feral cats don't live as long as housecats, maybe 7 or 8 years. While they are alive, they are hardy animals, but living outdoors shortens their lifespans.

That's BULLSHIT. I've had feral cats totally wild that we have tamed as adults. Here's one. It takes the right person. But you are right. If you want to be HUMANE about it, catching feral cats and sterilizing them is the way to control their population.

View attachment 258680

Okay, it seems that there is a technique for taming feral cats if your willing to put in the time.

You said it. It takes time and patience to build up their desire and trust. But sooner or later, all living things respond to love.

They were surviving.

View attachment 258680

You said it. It takes time and patience to build up their desire and trust. But sooner or later, all living things respond to love.
They will rarely become the kind of housepet that we normally associate with housecats. It's actually better, according to most sources, to neuter and releases feral cats because they don't really become affectionate.

Either way, doing that is a much more humane way to control their population. Wild cats ARE a problem and they breed fast, like rabbits. Meaning they have larger litters and expand exponentially.

I live in a very red very backward state. We have very little in the way of resources for pets. The two shelters are both "no-kill", which is another way of saying they kill thousands and thousands.

No-kill shelters are warehouses for very small numbers of animals. They sit in their cages, some literally going crazy. The money used on warehousing could be used to subsidize low-cost spay and neuter but oh no, its better that unwanted animals be dumped out in the country - like these cats were.

Another resucer and I were talking recently - about the act that even after all the years and thousands of rescues, we still have not put a dent in numbers of unwanted animals.

No-kill is part of the problem.

And yes, I do feel strongly about how we treat our companion animals.
You doing it for 60 years.....just how old are you since I started doing it in 1967....and NO you don't kill anything because they have a harsh life....one thing if they are fatally ill but even the govt setting up a preserve especially like a wide open country like Australia with volunteers and paid workers to take care of the problem is more than doable.

(I'm also a wildlife rehabber. Three or four posts with photos.)

Your original question was 'would I kill kittens after birth'. What do you believe should be done with unwanted animals?

Years ago, I did an on-air interview/debate in which I said the county I lived in was killing more than 1000 every month. Nationally, fully 25% are so-called "pure breeds" and more than 87% are younger than 3 years. I asked the froot loop on the other side of this question and he very seriously said that if I truly loved animals, I would take them home. IOW, he had no frikken clue what he was talking about.

The reason I was doing this interview was to push a county-wide bill that would add a 1% tax on all pet food that would subsidize spay/neuter. The bill did not pass. Even though many despise and blame "the pound" for piles of dead animals, they don't want to pay to change that.

Below are a few photos of the ferals I'm dealing with. Little by little, I was able to lure them into our screened in porch. It was not their fault but its hard to describe just how much damage they did.

We had patio furniture covered with heavy canvas covers. Both were covered with diarrhea. The porch is carpeted with indoor-outdoor carpet. When the last cat is gone, we will get new carpeting but its wood underneath the carpet. That means urine would have soaked through. W may have to replace the entire floor and probably would not carpet in the case.

We had a very cold winter so we covered the screens with specially made canvas shades. We set up a shelter, heated towels for them to sleep on, ran a heater 18 hours a day, 24/7. When that heater died, we bought a new one.

I was able to tame some down enough to place 2 in forever homes, 6 in foster homes. This left 3 wild and outside (altered and vacc'd), one intact tom and one lactating mom. I've trapped a lot of dogs and cats but sometimes they get trap-savvy like this tom.

As to the kittens - If we could find them, I would take them to raise. That way, they would be place-able. Ideally I would hope to get them at 4-5 weeks or so but we haven't been able to find them.

Final count is 11 spayed/neutered and vaccinated, two intact and an unknown number of kittens..

How would you have handled this situation?

View attachment 258626 View attachment 258627 View attachment 258628 View attachment 258629

How do I handle this situation....I refuse to kill them. I take care of them. As to them hunting, if they have a constant supply of food as I have in our yard they rarely hunt. They are like people if you give them most everything they need to survive they don't go out looking for anything else, they are LAZY. I have a constant supply of dry food available and have a few dozen of these under bushes, low trees and on a covered but open on 3 sides back patio.

NYCFCIPhoto-WinterShelter03.png

There is NO SUCH THING as a perpetual feral cat....it may take months and sometimes many months with the older cats to get them to a point that they accept your touch. You simply have to WORK ON EACH ONE. The ones that are HARD CORE wild and have trouble accepting me, I have several Have a Heart traps, have LEARNED what cat like what food the best and use that for bait. Once caught they are taken inside and placed in a room that has a few shelter boxes in it so they have a safe place to hide. When in that room I WORK on each one with food and slowly get each one used to me and human touch.....yes it is sometimes a longer process but have never had one completely reject my touch and come around to respond positively to it. All are neutered and checked for disease. Ones that are AIDS or Leuk positive go into 2 separate rooms and live out their lives until I see them start to succumb to their disease and are put down.

Now to Australia. As I said there are thousands of square miles to form preserves for them. Yes it will cost money and manpower to take care of them but it is ETHICAL and MORAL to do so, besides all the bullshit the governments spend money on that are frivolous. You set up a central station or how many you actually need and the cats will congregate there. I don't think I need to go any further into this but if you want to I can elaborate.

I live in a very red very backward state. We have very little in the way of resources for pets. The two shelters are both "no-kill", which is another way of saying they kill thousands and thousands.

No-kill shelters are warehouses for very small numbers of animals. They sit in their cages, some literally going crazy. The money used on warehousing could be used to subsidize low-cost spay and neuter but oh no, its better that unwanted animals be dumped out in the country - like these cats were.

Another resucer and I were talking recently - about the act that even after all the years and thousands of rescues, we still have not put a dent in numbers of unwanted animals.

You doing it for 60 years.....just how old are you since I started doing it in 1967....and NO you don't kill anything because they have a harsh life....one thing if they are fatally ill but even the govt setting up a preserve especially like a wide open country like Australia with volunteers and paid workers to take care of the problem is more than doable.

Your original question was 'would I kill kittens after birth'. What do you believe should be done with unwanted animals?

Years ago, I did an on-air interview/debate in which I said the county I lived in was killing more than 1000 every month. Nationally, fully 25% are so-called "pure breeds" and more than 87% are younger than 3 years. I asked the froot loop on the other side of this question and he very seriously said that if I truly loved animals, I would take them home. IOW, he had no frikken clue what he was talking about.

The reason I was doing this interview was to push a county-wide bill that would add a 1% tax on all pet food that would subsidize spay/neuter. The bill did not pass. Even though many despise and blame "the pound" for piles of dead animals, they don't want to pay to change that.

Below are a few photos of the ferals I'm dealing with. Little by little, I was able to lure them into our screened in porch. It was not their fault but its hard to describe just how much damage they did.

We had patio furniture covered with heavy canvas covers. Both were covered with diarrhea. The porch is carpeted with indoor-outdoor carpet. When the last cat is gone, we will get new carpeting but its wood underneath the carpet. That means urine would have soaked through. W may have to replace the entire floor and probably would not carpet in the case.

We had a very cold winter so we covered the screens with specially made canvas shades. We set up a shelter, heated towels for them to sleep on, ran a heater 18 hours a day, 24/7. When that heater died, we bought a new one.

I was able to tame some down enough to place 2 in forever homes, 6 in foster homes. This left 3 wild and outside (altered and vacc'd), one intact tom and one lactating mom. I've trapped a lot of dogs and cats but sometimes they get trap-savvy like this tom.

As to the kittens - If we could find them, I would take them to raise. That way, they would be place-able. Ideally I would hope to get them at 4-5 weeks or so but we haven't been able to find them.

Final count is 11 spayed/neutered and vaccinated, two intact and an unknown number of kittens..

View attachment 258626 View attachment 258627 View attachment 258628 View attachment 258629

How do I handle this situation....I refuse to kill them. I take care of them. As to them hunting, if they have a constant supply of food as I have in our yard they rarely hunt. They are like people if you give them most everything they need to survive they don't go out looking for anything else, they are LAZY. I have a constant supply of dry food available and have a few dozen of these under bushes, low trees and on a covered but open on 3 sides back patio.

There is NO SUCH THING as a perpetual feral cat....it may take months and sometimes many months with the older cats to get them to a point that they accept your touch. You simply have to WORK ON EACH ONE. The ones that are HARD CORE wild and have trouble accepting me, I have several Have a Heart traps, have LEARNED what cat like what food the best and use that for bait. Once caught they are taken inside and placed in a room that has a few shelter boxes in it so they have a safe place to hide. When in that room I WORK on each one with food and slowly get each one used to me and human touch.....yes it is sometimes a longer process but have never had one completely reject my touch and come around to respond positively to it. All are neutered and checked for disease. Ones that are AIDS or Leuk positive go into 2 separate rooms and live out their lives until I see them start to succumb to their disease and are put down.

Now to Australia. As I said there are thousands of square miles to form preserves for them. Yes it will cost money and manpower to take care of them but it is ETHICAL and MORAL to do so, besides all the bullshit the governments spend money on that are frivolous. You set up a central station or how many you actually need and the cats will congregate there. I don't think I need to go any further into this but if you want to I can elaborate.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you take in every single one of the millions of sick, old, homeless cats that otherwise be put down. What a guy.

I'm sure you will also fund this Aussie preserve.

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.

I notice you forgot to say EXACTLY where the millions of cats and dogs would live as well as how they will live.

No one goes into rescue to kill kittens and cats and puppies and dogs but only idiots believe it is "ethical and moral" or possible to keep every single animal alive.

They were surviving.

View attachment 258680

They will rarely become the kind of housepet that we normally associate with housecats. It's actually better, according to most sources, to neuter and releases feral cats because they don't really become affectionate.

Either way, doing that is a much more humane way to control their population. Wild cats ARE a problem and they breed fast, like rabbits. Meaning they have larger litters and expand exponentially.

Both of you make good points. I've tamed a lot of ferals and its sadly true that few are able to get back the kind of life they would have had if they had been raised differently. I've had cats who I never saw. I knew they were in the house, eating, drinking, going outside to the cat run. I knew they were safe, healthy, vetted but they had their own way of living in the same space as humans.

The ferals I've been working with - I've been able to tame and place more than half but I'm certain that when all the alters are done, there will be 2-3 who will never never be approachable. I hate that.

I wish, SO much, that we could find the litter. My bet is that I could nab the kittens and lure her back into the porch. We would be able to tame and place the kittens. And there's still the huge tabby I call The Ghost.

As I said above, this past winter, I had trapped them all and kept them warm and fed but by next winter, its likely I won't be able to catch them. We have outdoor shelter for them and heated pads so they'll probably survive.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you take in every single one of the millions of sick, old, homeless cats that otherwise be put down. What a guy.

I notice you forgot to say EXACTLY where the millions of cats and dogs would live as well as how they will live.

No one goes into rescue to kill kittens and cats and puppies and dogs but only idiots believe it is "ethical and moral" or possible to keep every single animal alive.
Don't be stupid Luddley stop and think for a change.

I take on all that come to my door and yard....a hell of a lot of work and cost....but it certainly makes my HEARY SMILE with saving one at a time and sometimes a family@

As to where do you put them in Australia....look at this...

Previously Undocumented Forest has been Discovered Across Australia

View attachment 258680

The ferals I've been working with - I've been able to tame and place more than half but I'm certain that when all the alters are done, there will be 2-3 who will never never be approachable. I hate that..

The trick with the tough cases is to feed them. Make YOU the source of food. Make them come to you. Get them used to trusting you a little bit more at a time. A little closer each time. It has to be their choice though. Never trap or force them before they are ready. If they want to eat, they'll eventually come, you have to have a good energy. But once they get accustomed to taking food from you, the battle is won. Sooner or later, they'll realize where the food is, and you are not hurting them. Then you have a friend. That's not to say you'll ever make them a cuddly baby. But its a start. You have to teach them TRUST. Trust is the difference between a wild animal and a tame one.

View attachment 258680

The ferals I've been working with - I've been able to tame and place more than half but I'm certain that when all the alters are done, there will be 2-3 who will never never be approachable. I hate that..

The trick with the tough cases is to feed them. Make YOU the source of food. Make them come to you. Get them used to trusting you a little bit more at a time. A little closer each time. It has to be their choice though. Never trap or force them before they are ready. If they want to eat, they'll eventually come, you have to have a good energy. But once they get accustomed to taking food from you, the battle is won. Sooner or later, they'll realize where the food is, and you are not hurting them. Then you have a friend. That's not to say you'll ever make them a cuddly baby. But its a start. You have to teach them TRUST. Trust is the difference between a wild animal and a tame one.

Yep.

Exactly as I have done with both domestic and wild animals for many many years.

I posted the links to some of the wild animals I work with but here it is again.

I rehab, condition and train raptors and mammals to be ambassador animals, education animals. As required by federal law, if they cannot be placed, they must be put down. Also required by law is that I give at least two education program per month. I believe strongly that wild animals belong in the wild but if that's not possible, I look for the next best thing.

Last edited:

I take on all that come to my door and yard....a hell of a lot of work and cost....but it certainly makes my HEARY SMILE with saving one at a time and sometimes a family@

So I'm stupid? Okay.
In that case, tell me where you are putting the other MILLIONS of unwanted companions animals ...........................
Surely you have already begun to trap, alter, vacc, vet these MILLIONS of cats and have now put them in some fairy tale place. Right?

Oh. No? You mean you're all big talk and you really have no fucking clue what you're blathering on about?

Okie dokey. Thanks. And please do let me know when you can deliver more than sanctimonious hot air.

Good for you for choosing to take care of those VERY FEW CATS. I would never expect you to do more. BUT, you are demanding that others take on MILLIONS of unwanted animals and you have no idea how that could be done.

The whole point behind killing invasive cats in Australia is to save native species. What do you plan to do with native species located at your link? How long before the cats wipe them out? Who will paying to feed your invasive species? Who is out there altering them? Vaccinating them? Vetting them?

You want to play god. You want to decide that native species should be destroyed, driven extinct and replaced with invasive species that cannot survive with your benevolent god actions. Which YOU won't be paying for or actually delivering.

You remind me of a neighbor I had. Holy roller, far right dingbat who said "we" should take gallons of bleach out to the desert after heavy rains to disinfect the charcos. I have no doubt she meant well but that's just flat out dumb.

So I'm stupid? Okay.
In that case, tell me where you are putting the other MILLIONS of unwanted companions animals ...........................
Surely you have already begun to trap, alter, vacc, vet these MILLIONS of cats and have now put them in some fairy tale place. Right?

Oh. No? You mean you're all big talk and you really have no fucking clue what you're blathering on about?

Okie dokey. Thanks. And please do let me know when you can deliver more than sanctimonious hot air.

Good for you for choosing to take care of those VERY FEW CATS. I would never expect you to do more. BUT, you are demanding that others take on MILLIONS of unwanted animals and you have no idea how that could be done.

The whole point behind killing invasive cats in Australia is to save native species. What do you plan to do with native species located at your link? How long before the cats wipe them out? Who will paying to feed your invasive species? Who is out there altering them? Vaccinating them? Vetting them?

You want to play god. You want to decide that native species should be destroyed, driven extinct and replaced with invasive species that cannot survive with your benevolent god actions. Which YOU won't be paying for or actually delivering.

You remind me of a neighbor I had. Holy roller, far right dingbat who said "we" should take gallons of bleach out to the desert after heavy rains to disinfect the charcos. I have no doubt she meant well but that's just flat out dumb.

Again you are making a fool of yourself....perhaps if zi had the MONEY that is available in Australia what I purpose would come about but I take care of my small area...you just want TO KILL THEM even when they are viable....you suck!...Bet you are PRO DEATH FOR BABIES ALSO...EVEN WHEN BORN ALIVE!

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Again you are making a fool of yourself....perhaps if zi had the MONEY that is available in Australia what I purpose would come about but I take care of my small area...you just want TO KILL THEM even when they are viable....you suck!...Bet you are PRO DEATH FOR BABIES ALSO...EVEN WHEN BORN ALIVE!

All through this thread, you have said you want to kill animals, including "BABIES ... BORN ALIVE!"
(Dumb thing to say since you can't kill an animal that is NOT alive.)

Hypocrite.

So I'm stupid? Okay.

All through this thread, you have said you want to kill animals, including "BABIES ... BORN ALIVE!"

Hypocrite.

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Hypocrite.
What!!?..

You are nuts!!!!.

But you sure do like to lie!

Cat haters love to go on about the supposed environmental damage

I don't hate cats ... it depends on the sauce...

chinese-takeout-decal.png

Interesting.....a lot of Americans today feel all cops deserve to be "sauced"...and put down. How nice.
Either way, it takes a perverted mind to think like you do.

Homosapiens are animals with a sight advantage in mental skills....who patronize themselves and convince themselves they're "better'. hardly.
Animals are a LOT smarter truth told.....they're not irradiating the oceans with nuclear waste and dumping billions of tons of plastic into the oceans.
They don't build nuclear weapons to destroy the planet and everything on it.

Yeah, humans are the ones who need to be put down if the planet is to survive. The Cat haters have it backwards. Which puts their mental capacity a few notches below an ectoparasite.

Last edited:

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Hypocrite.

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Hypocrite.
What!!?..

You are nuts!!!!.

@Purge

Do you really believe the constant, childish name calling is helpful?

You said you want indigenous species to be killed so that an invasive species can take their home. That will include "babies ... born alive".

Or did you plan keep either or both in cages for the rest of their lives?

Cat haters love to go on about the supposed environmental damage

I don't hate cats ... it depends on the sauce...

chinese-takeout-decal.png

Interesting.....a lot of Americans today feel all cops deserve to be "sauced"...and put down. How nice.
Either way, it takes a perverted mind to think like you do.

Homosapiens are animals with a sight advantage in mental skills....who patronize themselves and convince themselves they're "better'. hardly.
Animals are a LOT smarter truth told.....they're not irradiating the oceans with nuclear waste and dumping billions of tons of plastic into the oceans.
They don't build nuclear weapons to destroy the planet and everything on it.

Yeah, humans are the ones who need to be put down if the planet is to survive. The Cat haters have it backwards. Which puts their mental capacity a few notches below an ectoparasite.

Agree that we don't give non-human animals credit for their intelligence and emotional capabilities.

Because I work with wild animals, I often hear people say that animals are dumb. As in, stupid that they run into the road.

Animals have evolved to be smart in the ways they need to be and there is no way for them to learn to avoid dangerous behavior. Its not like an animal can go home and tell others not to go on the highway because you'll be killed.

Humans - No other species poisons their own nest but big money rules. That's why trump is removing regs that keep our air, water and food safe.

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Hypocrite.

So I'm stupid? Okay.

Hypocrite.
What!!?..

You are nuts!!!!.

@Purge

Do you really believe the constant, childish name calling is helpful?

You said you want indigenous species to be killed so that an invasive species can take their home. That will include "babies ... born alive".

Or did you plan keep either or both in cages for the rest of their lives?
Baby's born alive is HUMAN ABORTION Which is abhorrent

Forum List

Back