August 6

Chicago Tribune History

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

thumb.png

"In my opinion, the Japanese war was really won before we ever used the atom bomb. Thus, it wouldn't have been necessary for us to disclose our nuclear position and stimulate the Russians to develop the same thing much more rapidly than they would have if we had not dropped the bomb."

- RALPH BARD

Under Secretary of the Navy

If a bomb had to be dropped, it should have been where Stalin and the clique running Russia were concentrated.
Does that shock? Well, it isn't any more appalling than what was actually done and strategically makes more sense..

Folks who fall back on "we had no choice! It saved lives!" are avoiding the moral component of a complex issue.

"This story may assuage the conscience of the air museum visitor, but it is largely myth, fashioned to buttress our memories of the “good” war. By and large, the top generals and admirals who managed World War II knew better."

The War Was Won Before Hiroshima—And the Generals Who Dropped the Bomb Knew It

"Consider the small and little-noticed plaque hanging in the National Museum of the US Navy that accompanies the replica of “Little Boy,”

"... clearly indicates that “the vast destruction wreaked by the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the loss of 135,000 people made little impact on the Japanese military.”"

“The use of this barbarous weapon…was of no material assistance in our war against Japan.” —Adm. William Leahy, Truman's Chief of Staff

“It was a mistake.... [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it.” —Adm. William “Bull” Halsey

"Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, for his part, stated in his memoirs that when notified by Secretary of War Henry Stimson of the decision to use atomic weapons, he “voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives…” He later publicly declared “…it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing.” Even the famous “hawk” Maj. Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Twenty-First Bomber Command, went public the month after the bombing, telling the press that “the atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”"

I'd rather remember those killed at Pearl Harbor.Japan brought the atomic bomb on themselves

Japan had already been defeated by the time we dropped the bombs. We were fire bombing their cities uncontested because they no longer had an air force to oppose us. Our military incinerated cities full of innocent men, women and children just to test the bombs on a civilian population. It was disgusting. We have no right to criticize anybody.
While the rape camps in Korea and China continued.
Should have dropped 5 more.

The unneeded killing of innocents does just justify the unneeded killing of more innocents. Warmongers will never understand.
Except your publik edjekation did not inform you the Japanese military was continuing the war after the second bomb.
Even to the point of a coup.

"Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, for his part, stated in his memoirs that when notified by Secretary of War Henry Stimson of the decision to use atomic weapons, he “voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives…” He later publicly declared “…it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing.” Even the famous “hawk” Maj. Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Twenty-First Bomber Command, went public the month after the bombing, telling the press that “the atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”"
Ike was in the European Theater and had no first hand knowledge.

I knew the yeabuts were coming...

Ike was not involved. Deal with it.

As I said earlier, I have a friend who was being shot at on August 6.

Ike was not involved. Deal with it.....

:lol: Now you're just making a fool of yourself.

I'm sure Stalin and Churchill had opinions too, but that's all they are. Opinions.

73 years have passed since the first use of an atomic weapon in war. Most of the 150,000 victims were civilians. Women, children, the elderly. The effects of this new weapon on real people shocked the conscience of the world, and its use at that time is still debated to this day.

Regardless of one's position on Truman's decision, it is fitting to take a moment to remember so many lives taken and the horror of war in general. There is a reason the monument to the event in the city is called the Peace Park.

I only remember the victims of Pearl Harbor. Japan should have thought ahead of the consequences, they brought the victims on themselves. Truman did the right thing and should anyone do it again, I hope Trump nukes them into little glass beads. In the right hands, the nuclear bomb has kept the peace for over 70 years.

I'd rather remember those killed at Pearl Harbor.Japan brought the atomic bomb on themselves

Japan had already been defeated by the time we dropped the bombs. We were fire bombing their cities because they no longer had an air force to oppose us. We had already killed far more civilians than they did, and then we decided to drop the bombs anyway. The bombs were dropped just for the sake of dropping them. Our military incinerated innocent men, women and children just to test the bombs on a civilian population. It was disgusting. We have no right to criticize anybody.
Japan had no intention of surrendering. The Council was controlled by hardliners and ONLY after the 2nd atomic bomb was dropped did the Emperor intervene to end the war and then the Army staged a Coup to stop THAT.

They had no air force left. We were bringing terror from the skies completely unopposed. Surrender was inevitable. It wasn't necessary to do what we did. It was out of a lack of respect for life.
Wrong as usual the Japanese Government intended to hold out for a negotiated settlement, guess what they wanted? Wait you do not have to guess they stated it. They wanted basically a ceasefire where all land taken from them was returned and we went back to the Nov 1941 start lines everywhere but China. No foreigners in Japan and removal of their Government. They made this demand even AFTER the first bomb was dropped and after the second they still refused to surrender, it took the intervention of the Emperor to end the war and THEN the Army which controlled the Government staged a Coup to prevent the Emperor from surrendering.

It's always been my understanding that Japan really wanted to invade the US mainland, but their generals talked him out of it telling them so many Americans had guns that there would be a rifle behind every rock and tree. Long live the 2nd Amendment.

And for the record, I've got a number of friends who were in the Pacific at the time. Air, sea and land. Only one is left on this earth now. Also, one of my best friends was a Japanese citizen for decades after I met him. His dad was in the Imperial Japanese Army during the war. And when he came to see his son in 1988 I treated them to an Angels baseball game because they both loved baseball.

But the stories of my American military friends and the historical facts we now know is what drives my opinion.

You can say maybe this and maybe that, but there are no facts to support your hypothetical scenarios.

Whitehall, you are an idiot. Japan was nowhere near surrender. ....

Yes it was. Feelers had been sent out sometime prior for terms to sue for peace.
Again the ONLY terms Japanese Government offered was a ceasefire and return to Nov 1941 start lines.

The terms offered were the same as what was eventually accepted anyway.
Wrong the Japanese demanded that the war end they be given back all their lost territory and the lines revert to Nov 1941.

Forum List

Back