August 6

73 years have passed since the first use of an atomic weapon in war. Most of the 150,000 victims were civilians. Women, children, the elderly. The effects of this new weapon on real people shocked the conscience of the world, and its use at that time is still debated to this day.

Regardless of one's position on Truman's decision, it is fitting to take a moment to remember so many lives taken and the horror of war in general. There is a reason the monument to the event in the city is called the Peace Park.

Perhaps one moment in history we will never repeat.

Let’s hope.

Is it possible that some actually think the Japanese people had a voice in the military clique that ran Japan? Can we seriously hold that vengeance on civilians is justified by what radical militarists inflicted?
That humans could take the marvelous revelations about the universe that physics delivered and be so stupid as to turn out massively destructive instruments is a profoundly sad commentary on our species.

I was coming home on a navy hospital ship, during the bomb dropping period. We got the news every day and I remember well the day Japan surrendered. What struck me was that Instead of cheers of joy and huzzahs the entire ship became silent, so silent that for the first time I could hear the noise of the ship's rudder adjusting to keep the "Bountiful" on course.
I did not know. Thank you.

I have a book on Truman that I've yet to read (I will get to it, though). I can imagine he didn't sleep for the better part of a week after making that decision. Even though it was clearly the right call, innocent men, women and children paid an unthinkable price. That said, fuck Obama for apologizing; what a fucking worm.

Is it possible that some actually think the Japanese people had a voice in the military clique that ran Japan? Can we seriously hold that vengeance on civilians is justified by what radical militarists inflicted?
That humans could take the marvelous revelations about the universe that physics delivered and be so stupid as to turn out massively destructive instruments is a profoundly sad commentary on our species.

Didn't they say the same thing about the Long Bow?

The US made a decision that was right at the time. I doubt anyone in the US or Australia then gave two hoots for anyone Japanese. It is to Japan's credit that they have permanently denounced Militarism; they are now a peace loving folk unless unjustifiably roused. And their export sector is absolutely first class.

Greg

This is the saddest picture I've seen in a really long time, honestly.

RPFH_BlindChildAtomicBomb.jpg

Whitehall, you are an idiot. Japan was nowhere near surrender. ....

Yes it was. Feelers had been sent out sometime prior for terms to sue for peace.
Again the ONLY terms Japanese Government offered was a ceasefire and return to Nov 1941 start lines.

The terms offered were the same as what was eventually accepted anyway.

Hi Unko; you have a link to that? I did some study on Japan many years ago but that was always a point that seemed blurred. It has interested me for many years.

Greg

This is the saddest picture I've seen in a really long time, honestly.

RPFH_BlindChildAtomicBomb.jpg

You've not seen the victims of Japanese bayonet practice in China; good. They'd make you ill as they did me.

Greg

I'm familiar with Japanese soldier brutality. That's why I :lol: 'd when I heard about them setting a record for getting eaten by crocodiles in one instance. But nobody wants innocent girls blinded if it can be avoided. And may God have mercy on anyone of that mindset.

Source: An army of 1000 Japanese soldiers was decimated by saltwater crocodiles during the Battle of Ramree Island of World War II.

73 years have passed since the first use of an atomic weapon in war. Most of the 150,000 victims were civilians. Women, children, the elderly. The effects of this new weapon on real people shocked the conscience of the world, and its use at that time is still debated to this day.

Regardless of one's position on Truman's decision, it is fitting to take a moment to remember so many lives taken and the horror of war in general. There is a reason the monument to the event in the city is called the Peace Park.

Even though the use of Atomic Bombs was probably unnecessary, I don't think that a the time, there was the drama and dread we have today.

We had been at war for 4 years, and had sustained half a million casualties at that point. This was just another weapon.

Forum List

Back