August 5, 1975: Both Democrat House And Senate Vote 407-10 Restoring Citizenship To Robert E. Lee

Well, how about this gem of info I found out? And one more time, the Senate and House were both controlled by the Democrat Party.

Remarks Upon Signing a Bill Restoring Rights of Citizenship to General Robert E. Lee, August 5, 1975

[General Lee's character has been an example to succeeding generations, making the restoration of his citizenship an event in which every American can take pride.]

Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 89.djvu/440 - Wikisource, the free online library

So were those the old conservative racist Democrats or the modern day liberal civil rights Democrats who voted for that?
Most of all the Republicans voted for it too. What about them?

Well, how about this gem of info I found out? And one more time, the Senate and House were both controlled by the Democrat Party.

Remarks Upon Signing a Bill Restoring Rights of Citizenship to General Robert E. Lee, August 5, 1975

[General Lee's character has been an example to succeeding generations, making the restoration of his citizenship an event in which every American can take pride.]

Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 89.djvu/440 - Wikisource, the free online library
Yes they did.....unfortunately, that kind of thing empowers the Alt-Right.

They credited him with working to heal the wounds of the war.

THey wanted to recognize that.

What part of that in your mind does not empower AMERICA?

And Lee opposed Confederate monuments and the preservation of battlefields.

He was afraid of revanchism, and continued division.

That issue was laid to rest long ago and is no longer relevant.

Today the issue is the Left attacking southern whites' heritage. As part of a larger American deconstructionism.

Division is no longer relevant? WTF, did you really just post that?

Do you know what revanchism means?

It means that he was afraid of bitter confederates trying to keep the fight alive.

That fear is no longer a reasonable fear.

Division is completely relevant, and today it is you lefties that are being divisive.

Robert E Lee would utterly despise these Nazi scumbags clustering around his monuments. His legacy is complex but there is little evidence he was a hateful man.

How about you address the reasons listed in the linked article for the restoration of his citizenship? And address the call for healing in relation to the divisive tactics of YOUR side today.

Healing? Oh, so that was the purpose of the biggest white supremacist march in recent memory, in Charlottesville,

healing!

Sort of.

You lefties have decided to attack our heritage. The Right has mostly failed to resist.

THis leaves a vacuum for the nutjobs to try to fill, in an attempt to create the impression of relevance.

Your heritage is a fondness for the days of a slave owning white supremacist South?

Your spin does not change the fact that you lefties are attacking our heritage.

This is a fight you guys have started and are keeping alive.

You are the problem.

My great great great grandfather was a Confederate soldier (9th Florida Regiment). In the letters that he wrote we know that when Lee surrendered he, like many solders, refused to accept a "parole". He refused to take an oath not to take up arms again. He would not swear loyalty to the filthy Union. Good for him. The Union was the bad guy in that war. We all know that.

By the way. After the war ended he walked back from Virginia to Central Florida. It took him six months. They had not built I-95 at that time.

What the OP and Republicans need to understand is liberals are the party of progress (i.e., progressive).

They change their tune because of this progression, as demonstrated by the increase in racism, men are chicks, free speech should be controlled and stuff.

What authority did the federal government have to revoke his citizenship in the first place?

None except force of arms. Like any totalitarian state. I dont think he really lost citizenship but only had his civil rights revoked. His pardon was misplaced until an archivist with the National Archives discovered it in 1970 misfiled.
Washington's actions were enough to scare the British colonies of North America into Confederation as they watched southern people conquered and forced into a Union they had desired to not be part of.
As a side note, Lee's house was also seized but years later the Supreme Court issued a rebuke for the seizure and paid the Lee family 150,000.

Define Irony.....most of the statues today's Democrats are pushing to have removed were erected by Democrats.

We need a White Gratitude Month, where all the vermin thank a white person for 99% the modern sciences, discoveries and inventions and engineering accomplishments that steered the course of history for the past 500+ years.

Also a thanks to whites for their ancestors dying in the civil war to free them.

What authority did the federal government have to revoke his citizenship in the first place?

None except force of arms. Like any totalitarian state. I dont think he really lost citizenship but only had his civil rights revoked. His pardon was misplaced until an archivist with the National Archives discovered it in 1970 misfiled.
Washington's actions were enough to scare the British colonies of North America into Confederation as they watched southern people conquered and forced into a Union they had desired to not be part of.
As a side note, Lee's house was also seized but years later the Supreme Court issued a rebuke for the seizure and paid the Lee family 150,000.

In other words, the federal government had no right to revoke anyone's citizenship and force them to sign a "loyalty" oath to get their constitutional rights returned.

But the felony is still on his record.

Think about that. Lee wouldn't be able to legally own a fire arm

Not true. Robert E Lee was specifically allowed to keep his personal arms in the surrender documents. He owned an 1851 Colt Navy, which he kept loaded, until he died. Lee was not a felon and was never convicted nor even charged with a felony.

In other words, the federal government had no right to revoke anyone's citizenship and force them to sign a "loyalty" oath to get their constitutional rights returned.

Are you aware of any Constitutional requirement of a loyalty oath in order to exercise constitutional rights? I/m not.

Are you aware of any Constitutional requirement of a loyalty oath in order to exercise constitutional rights? I/m not.
Nope. Nothing the Union government did related to the war was legal or constitutional.

Last edited:

Not true. Robert E Lee was specifically allowed to keep his personal arms in the surrender documents. He owned an 1851 Colt Navy, which he kept loaded, until he died. Lee was not a felon and was never convicted nor even charged with a felony.
Yes I totally made that up

I just assumed after pulling a coup against the federal government and being responsible for so much death they wouldn't trust him with a gun. Especially after Lincoln's death

Yes I totally made that up

I just assumed after pulling a coup against the federal government and being responsible for so much death they wouldn't trust him with a gun. Especially after Lincoln's death

He didn't stage any coup, and Lincoln was responsible for every death that occurred during the Civil War. Lincoln invaded Virginia. Lee didn't invade the Union.

As britpat already said Lee never was involved in a coup. He fulfilled his Constitutional duty by defending his state against an invading army.
That is why not one Confederate, from lowliest drummer boy to highest general to members of the Confederate government, was ever accused of or tried for treason or any other crime for fighting in the war. Not even notorious Confederate guerrilla fighters Mosley and Forrest.
One man was executed under us military law for derelictionn of his duties commanding a confederate prison camp but that's another issue
Had anyone wanted to try it would have been laughed out of even Union courts. And every Confederate was allowed to own weapons for the rest of his life.
Union soldiers, if any were left today, would despise the Marxists thugs attacking their "confederate cousins".
By the way Confederate soldiers are considered American vets by the Federal government . There is a confederate monument at Arlington Cemetary and several Confederates buried there with honor.

I'm curious. Which part of the Constitution gives the federal government the power to send an Army to overthrow a state government? Or imprison the Maryland legislature?
And you think Lee was the criminal?

Forum List

Back