Attack on law abiding gun owners fails in Illinois, no increase in fee or fingerprinting...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
The anti-gun democrats, zealots in their drive to take guns away from law abiding people.....failed to pass their latest attack on gun owners....

Both the fee and requiring finger prints are unConstitutional infringements on the Right to own and carry a gun......

Illinois: 'Fingerprints for FOID Cards' Fails To Pass - The Truth About Guns

Residents of the Land of Lincoln will not have to submit fingerprints and pay upwards of $150 in order to own, shoot or even touch firearms after all. House Democrats voted to pass the measure last week. However, sensing the outrage of gun owners, the Illinois Senate’s Democrat leadership killed the bill and closed out their spring session without acting on the bill.

On May 30th, we wrote of how the House passed Democrat Representative Kathleen Willis’ bill to require fingerprints and 400% fee increases to obtain a Firearms Owners’ ID card. Willis’ work of art tyranny would have also eliminated private firearm transfers and set a cap on the fee dealers could charge for performing transfers on private sales at $10 – an amount that dealers said didn’t merit their time and trouble.

Under the byzantine legislative rules in Illinois, the bill now requires a 3/5ths majority to pass rather than a simple majority. And the General Assembly stands in recess until October.

Jim Crow by another name....

So what happened?
Democrat Representative Kathleen Willis, now a minor leadership figure in the Illinois House Democrat caucus, wheeled and dealed for votes to get her gun control bill passed in the House. Initially, black caucus members had deep-seated reservations about the steep fees and expensive electronic fingerprinting the bill required and withheld their support.

Willis made some promises, though, and secured the support of the black caucus. This proved ironic considering the bill would disproportionately impact inner city poor people of color that make up the caucus’s constituency. Just like the Jim Crow laws and Black Codes passed by racist legislators a hundred years ago to disarm blacks.

actually, I have no problem with fingerprinting as part of the background check, as long as it is done on an electronic device, and deleted after the check is confirmed.

I had to do so to get my first CC in Ohio.

There shouldn't be a fee at all concerning owning and/or purchasing a firearm. It's unconstitutional and just another way for the state to get its grubby hands on more of its citizen's money.

actually, I have no problem with fingerprinting as part of the background check, as long as it is done on an electronic device, and deleted after the check is confirmed.

No...these are held forever....... I would have less objection to checks if we had a system where it was pass fail with no storage ......... you go in to buy the gun, they run your name, you pass or fail......no record kept.

There shouldn't be a fee at all concerning owning and/or purchasing a firearm. It's unconstitutional and just another way for the state to get its grubby hands on more of its citizen's money.

Yep...

This was already decided by the Supreme Court......

Murdock v Pennsylvania...

Murdock v. Pennsylvania 319 U.S. 105 (1943)

Held:
- A municipal ordinance which, as construed and applied, requires religious colporteurs to pay a license tax as a condition to the pursuit of their activities, is invalid under the Federal Constitution as a denial of freedom of speech, press and religion.
- A State may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the Federal Constitution.
- The flat license tax here involved restrains in advance the Constitutional liberties of press and religion, and inevitably tends to suppress their exercise

Opinion:
...It is contended, however, that the fact that the license tax can suppress or control this activity is unimportant if it does not do so. But that is to disregard the nature of this tax. It is a license tax -- a flat tax imposed on the exercise of a privilege granted by the Bill of Rights. A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the Federal Constitution....
... The power to impose a license tax on the exercise of these freedoms is indeed as potent as the power of censorship which this Court has repeatedly struck down...
... It is a flat license tax levied and collected as a condition to the pursuit of activities whose enjoyment is guaranteed by the First Amendment. Accordingly, it restrains in advance those constitutional liberties of press and religion, and inevitably tends to suppress their exercise...

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

No...these are held forever....... I would have less objection to checks if we had a system where it was pass fail with no storage ......... you go in to buy the gun, they run your name, you pass or fail......no record kept.

you go in to buy the gun, they run your name, you pass or fail......no record kept.

why do you think it would be different for prints?

you go in to buy the gun, they run your name, you pass or fail......no record kept.

why do you think it would be different for prints?

I am talking about currently in Illinois.....prints should be no different.

Forum List

Back