Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.

Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims hold many of the same beliefs. And whenever an atheist opposes a Christian belief, it always turns out that they're also opposing a Muslim belief.

• Banned

Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims hold many of the same beliefs. And whenever an atheist opposes a Christian belief, it always turns out that they're also opposing a Muslim belief.
Your ignorance is unbelievable. Islam and Christianity are complete opposites. The fact that you believe otherwise just shows that you are intellectually lazy, or just plain lying.

"Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’"

Another ridiculous lie from the right.

In the United States Christians are appropriately subject to criticism when they advocate conjoining church and state contrary to the Framers' mandate, or otherwise seek to codify religious dogma into secular law in violation of Establishment Clause jurisprudence.

And any Muslim in the United States who advocates for the same thing will likewise be subject to the same justified criticism as any Christian, having nothing to do with 'fear.'

"Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused."

Wrong.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy, exhibiting ignorance of public accommodations laws and how those laws differ from state to state.

Unlike Oregon, Michigan public accommodations laws have no provision for sexual orientation, where private business owners are at liberty to discriminate against gay patrons.

Consequently, the thread premise that Muslims and Christians are being treated 'differently' fails; the Muslim business owners weren't subject to a lawsuit having nothing to do with 'fear' or 'religion' – if Muslims business owners in Oregon were to discriminate against a gay patron, they'd be just as liable for damages as a Christian owned business.

Your ignorance is unbelievable. Islam and Christianity are complete opposites. The fact that you believe otherwise just shows that you are intellectually lazy, or just plain lying.
Given the fact your thread has failed as a consequence of your ignorance, you're in no position to accuse anyone else of being 'ignorant.'

Nice deflection

"Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused."

Wrong.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy, exhibiting ignorance of public accommodations laws and how those laws differ from state to state.

Unlike Oregon, Michigan public accommodations laws have no provision for sexual orientation, where private business owners are at liberty to discriminate against gay patrons.

Consequently, the thread premise that Muslims and Christians are being treated 'differently' fails; the Muslim business owners weren't subject to a lawsuit having nothing to do with 'fear' or 'religion' – if Muslims business owners in Oregon were to discriminate against a gay patron, they'd be just as liable for damages as a Christian owned business.
Except Muslims murder gays...

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Wrong.

Except Muslims murder gays...
Youre gay and no Muslim has murdered you.

I'm still waiting for kristians in the US to admit they aren't followers of Christ. They pretend to be, but they aren't.

Just admit it and get it out in the open. You are only lying to yourselves.

I'm still waiting for kristians in the US to admit they aren't followers of Christ. They pretend to be, but they aren't.

Just admit it and get it out in the open. You are only lying to yourselves.
Are you God, to know the hearts of others? Your comment only proves that you are a judgmental hypocrite. You worry about yourself. God holds my future in His hands. I have His promise. That's good enough for me.

...Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims hold many of the same beliefs. And whenever an atheist opposes a Christian belief, it always turns out that they're also opposing a Muslim belief.
"Turn the other cheek" and "Love thy neighbor" hardly equate with "Slay the Unbelievers".

Islam is a religious-cultural-political-legal-militancy hybrid belief system, incompatible with Western culture and values and spirituality and democratic governance.

Faux equivalencies and moral relativism are the refuge of the Liberal scoundrel...
75_75.gif

Last edited:

I'd say they're pretty similar.

Why? Firstly any religion is based on who interprets it. Christianity has many sects, as does Islam.

Secondly Christians do as much damage as Muslims. Bush is a Christian, look at the damage he did to the world.

There are plenty of differences, it's like having a house with rooms of different colors though.

I can't think of any better definition of a two-faced coward. I wouldn't want him as my professor.

Additionally, as I tried to make the point of in the thread about it, it's just the Muslim countries who can't be bothered to make laws against child pornography. Can read about it here:

- Despite Increase in Global Child Protection Laws Many Countries Still Do Not Consider Child Pornography A Crime

" These 53 countries currently have no law on child pornography:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, St. Lucia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and Zimbabwe."

I will help------PEOPLE----that is MEMBERS OF THE HUMAN RACE----are fascinated with outright THUGGERY --------that is why the series "THE GODFATHER" was
so popular. The "GODFATHER" culture is a very interesting one-----it is a
SYNCRESIS--------of two MAJOR FORCES-------ROMAN CHRISTIANITY is the
baseline religion of SICILY-----but Sicily was invaded and virtually controlled by MUSLIMS for about 200 years-----from the 9th to the 11th century---------
It was AT THAT TIME that the "BLACK HAND" rose------the black hand is the
origin of THE MAFIA and an actual synthesis of roman and muslim "culture".
I have, actually----in the course of my work------come across several people in
deep trouble because of their ATTRACTION to "MAFIA"-------somehow "MAFIA"
excites some people in the same way that videos of people being beheaded in Iraq----excites------some teenaged muslim girls in the USA and in England

Additionally, as I tried to make the point of in the thread about it, it's just the Muslim countries who can't be bothered to make laws against child pornography. Can read about it here:

- Despite Increase in Global Child Protection Laws Many Countries Still Do Not Consider Child Pornography A Crime

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, St. Lucia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and Zimbabwe."
While many of those nations are Muslim, many are not.

Your statement appears to be inaccurate.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.....

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said....

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said....

Oh, oh, now the evil muslims are going to kill his children....

:alcoholic:

More accurate than inaccurate.

More accurate than inaccurate.
Not really. Likely less than half of those are Muslim nations.

Forum List

Back