Atheist 'Mega-Churches' Take Root Across US, World

I guess those who said atheism is a religion we right all along.
And you are as usual wrong.

From your linked article:

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.

Those free from faith meeting with others is no more ‘religion’ than a political convention constitutes a ‘religion.’

I guess those who said atheism is a religion we right all along.
And you are as usual wrong.

From your linked article:

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.

Those free from faith meeting with others is no more ‘religion’ than a political convention constitutes a ‘religion.’

Depends on whether you take a broad or narrow view on what makes anything a 'religion'.

Anyone secure in their own faith wouldn't feel threatened by this.

I wholeheartedly agree. Anyone secure in their own faith wouldn't ever feel the need to try to poach from others.

poach what from others?

If some atheists could stand on their own they wouldn't always have to get attention by placing themselves as close as possible to those they disagree with. They should believe what they want to believe and leave others out of it, but they don't.

I wholeheartedly agree. Anyone secure in their own faith wouldn't ever feel the need to try to poach from others.

poach what from others?

If some atheists could stand on their own they wouldn't always have to get attention by placing themselves as close as possible to those they disagree with. They should believe what they want to believe and leave others out of it, but they don't.

Nonsense, persons free from faith have just as much right to freely assemble and express their views whether it makes theists uncomfortable or not.

People generally need to believe in something more powerful and better than themselves, I think.

Atheist church is oxymoron, so whatever is appearing is a proof that atheism is just a form of religion. Which was obvious long time ago

If atheism is a religion, than so too is the Tea Party movement... if we're being consistent anyway.

You can't have a declaration that a group is or is not a religious movement. The Tea Party is only concerned with taxes i.e., Taxed Enough Already. The atheists truly are declaring themselves a religious movement with the creation of churches, pastors etc.

poach what from others?

Nonsense, persons free from faith have just as much right to freely assemble and express their views whether it makes theists uncomfortable or not.

They absolutely do have that right. Do they have a right to impose their religious beliefs on others by denying them religious expression?

After all if there is Freedom From Religion don't believers have a right to be free of atheism?

Atheist church is oxymoron, so whatever is appearing is a proof that atheism is just a form of religion. Which was obvious long time ago

Yes, but a Godless religion at that. God has no exclusive rights to the word "church".

poach what from others?

That's not what they're doing. If they were doing that I'd never hear about them. They have decided to be antagonists. They attach themselves to those they allegedly disagree with instead of just going off on their own and doing their own thing.

What's the point? I mean, with church I can at least see a preacher giving a sermon about some lesson or parable or story in the Bible and how that relates to everyday living, but atheists have no holy book to draw from. So its a gathering of likeminded people to celebrate nothingness. Why bother? Just have a get together at someone's house, cook some food, and watch football or something.

That said, I suspect that part of the whole spectacle is the "I'm smarter than you" mindset that is so pervasive among many many many atheists. Being a dickish troll isn't limited to online behavior I'm sorry to say. This is just a coopting of religious ceremonies so they can stick a finger in the eye of believers. Of course, people need to gather among likeminded folks, that whole ingrained simian need for tribes, and once you star preaching to the converted, and let's face it the newly converted are often the most vocal of the group, I guess it just snowballs or something.

I also dislike this need to proselytize. I fail to see the need to run around and tell people who don't care what you have to think, just what you think. Is what you have to say really so worthwhile to set up shop on a street corner, much less collect 800,000 dollars to spread it overseas?

poach what from others?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Can you be more specific?

Are you saying that people shouldn't share what they believe with others? That seems a bit silly to me if that's the case.

What's the point? I mean, with church I can at least see a preacher giving a sermon about some lesson or parable or story in the Bible and how that relates to everyday living, but atheists have no holy book to draw from. So its a gathering of likeminded people to celebrate nothingness. Why bother? Just have a get together at someone's house, cook some food, and watch football or something.

That said, I suspect that part of the whole spectacle is the "I'm smarter than you" mindset that is so pervasive among many many many atheists. Being a dickish troll isn't limited to online behavior I'm sorry to say. This is just a coopting of religious ceremonies so they can stick a finger in the eye of believers. Of course, people need to gather among likeminded folks, that whole ingrained simian need for tribes, and once you star preaching to the converted, and let's face it the newly converted are often the most vocal of the group, I guess it just snowballs or something.

I also dislike this need to proselytize. I fail to see the need to run around and tell people who don't care what you have to think, just what you think. Is what you have to say really so worthwhile to set up shop on a street corner, much less collect 800,000 dollars to spread it overseas?

Forum List

Back