Atheist Mega-church movement (launched by British comedians)

It IS great! I so do hope this comes to my town; I would be the first one lined up outside the door. It would be great to meet 'God-less' people who uphold moral values without having the threat of divine punishment rammed down their throat over some non-existent hell.

Not me. It would only a matter of time before that congregation passes around the collection basket and starts getting all sanctimonious about the joy they have found in congratulating each other about not being as fucked up as everyone else.

Not me. It would only a matter of time before that congregation passes around the collection basket and starts getting all sanctimonious about the joy they have found in congratulating each other about not being as fucked up as everyone else.
You are right. It will eventually become as organized and structured as every other religious institution. However, there will be no worship of a god and bashing of sinners and non-believers but, as described in the article, it will be a place of rousing music, inspirational talk, quiet reflection, and engagement in community. :)

You are right. It will eventually become as organized and structured as every other religious institution. However, there will be no worship of a god and bashing of sinners and non-believers but, as described in the article, it will be a place of rousing music, inspirational talk, quiet reflection, and engagement in community. :)

This is your average religious church too. I think a lot of atheists caricature-ize the religious because they are not comfortable being challenged to live beyond the next moment, and to think beyond their own cocoon of existence.

This is your average religious church too. I think a lot of atheists caricature-ize the religious because they are not comfortable being challenged to live beyond the next moment, and to think beyond their own cocoon of existence.
We only have the present moment.

P.S. Inspirational talk, quiet reflection, and engagement in community is not the domain of Christianity. It is rooted in the practice of spirituality and fellowship.

Last edited:

To think beyond this moment is to establish a legacy beyond your life. The butterfly effect of being a decent caring human being.

To think beyond this moment is to establish a legacy beyond your life. The butterfly effect of being a decent caring human being.
We can 'think beyond this moment' and plan for our future but we cannot "live beyond the next moment".

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” (Bil Keane) :)

hardly, we do it without a boulder being held above our heads.

What to expect in an atheist assembly. Sanderson Jones heads this one. Starts at 0:47.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNn-9hw2YCc#t=49]Godless Gatherings: Lust for life drives UK atheists to church - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

It IS great! I so do hope this comes to my town; I would be the first one lined up outside the door. It would be great to meet 'God-less' people who uphold moral values without having the threat of divine punishment rammed down their throat over some non-existent hell.

The best way to make sure it doesn't fall to the same old problem, as any large group becoming a mutual admiration society, is to either start it yourself or with people who have the right focus and not self-serving motives.

If you live by what you say, you only have the present anyway. Why not use the present to set it up yourself, and don't worry where it goes after that. You can't control that part. But as long as you are there, you can add your contribution to make a group what you envision it to be.

If you like this idea, can you check with any local Unitarian Universalist congregation to see if they will lend space. And then check with local colleges that may have an atheist or secular humanist group. And put together your own network that can have weekly meets.

I'm on meetup.com so maybe you can check on there for related groups in your area, or other interested people who may have likeminded contacts. With either atheist, nontheist, secular humanist or UU groups who might join you.

Last edited:
And you'll have Satan to bless your congregation. At least while your here on earth anyway. What could possibly go wrong.....

Not if you don't invite in what Satan stands for: selfishness, fear, division.

If you base your congregation on inclusion and universal love of truth and positive values for ALL humanity, then there is nothing of Satan there.

The more I read about this, it sounds like UU anyway. Bringing all the wisdom and understanding from all faiths and walks of life in a secular way, without the religiosity.

Any group can get cliquish around the founding members who start it, that is true of any organization whether religious political or secular.

As long as the doors are open to all people, there is no need to impose division that starts the selfish/self-serving nonsense where "Satan divides and conquers". That can be avoided

Seems kind of silly, but if it helps them build community let them. Just becareful of people taking advantage of you.

Forum List

Back