At the risk of being labeled "racist", "xenophobic","white supremacist" what is the reason for...

Only 3% of commercials were all black . Blacks make up 10% of the population.

This is a stupid study because of all the variables in commercials .

many white people cant see the white forests for the white trees if they think their are too many minorities on tv.

You obviously didn't read closely enough to my comment. The STUDY showed 0% Hispanics. I didn't say there weren't any but the topic was based on this study.
But thanks for the single case contributions. Now if you could find how many commercials were run with Hispanics as the primary or secondary actors that would be more relevant.
Just 3 examples is not enough. Do a little research.

many white people cant see the white forests for the white trees if they think their are too many minorities on tv.

Check your facts before you hit the enter key as you are wrong again.

Here for closer scrutiny ... blacks make up 12.6% not 10%.

Also... African Americans appeared in 32 percent of them.
(This means a black person was in 32% of the ads and 3.3% had ONLY blacks.
Too Many African Americans in TV Ads?
USdemographics.png

View attachment 213032

How did they decide who was black ?

Was it all mocha 1/2 blacks that look like white people with tans? How many dark skinned blacks?

What were the adds about ?

Did the adds have equal # of actors ?

Did they ads have famous people or just regular actors ?

I think the point here is that television and marketing companies promote a melting pot scenario. Even though blacks are a small percentage of our population, they appear in about a third of commercial advertising.

One of two reasons for this: the first is that they don't want to be accused of ignoring the blacks. There are Jessie Jackson groups out there waiting to cast a discrimination accusation against companies that ignore blacks. Jackson is America's only legal extortionist and who needs that headache? Or two: younger people relate to the melting pot scenario, and it's younger people that will be the biggest consumers of just about any product.

I think the point here is that television and marketing companies promote a melting pot scenario. Even though blacks are a small percentage of our population, they appear in about a third of commercial advertising.

One of two reasons for this: the first is that they don't want to be accused of ignoring the blacks. There are Jessie Jackson groups out there waiting to cast a discrimination accusation against companies that ignore blacks. Jackson is America's only legal extortionist and who needs that headache? Or two: younger people relate to the melting pot scenario, and it's younger people that will be the biggest consumers of just about any product.

Question for you, do you see black people during more than a third of your day?

Yep. I live in a black suburb.

And again, an advertisement is made to sell a product, and that by definition wants to reach the widest possible audience. If you have three actors in a commercial it's numerically impossible to represent at ten percent or whatever the population demographic is. You're not going to run ten people pitching in a commercial; it would distract from the sales message to keep track of ten people. If you want to target black buyers, that's your (lone) model. Especially if they're pitching. They ain't there to represent proportionally, nor does a (normal) viewer's mind work that way.

(How would that even work --- "hey, here's three guys telling me I should drink this beer .... but wait, one of the guys is black... (gets out calculator) .... what? one-third of black people want me to drink this beer?") That's insane.

So if one of those three people is black that cannot be interpreted as "33 percent" of anything, if it can be interpreted as "black" at all. Maybe it's just a generic actor and in the context his/her color doesn't matter. What a concept for the race-obsessed to wrap their tiny little minds around.

It's a fucking TV commercial, not a Congressional district.

How about this? 98% of the paying fans at major sports events are white...except for hockey, where it 99.8% white. Essentially all of the paying customers at NFL games are white, and 90% of THEM think the National Anthem "protests" are either stupid, un-American, or both.

Can't imagine why the Owners want to quash them.

How about this? 100% of the percentages you gave you pulled out of your ass. ;)

If you encounter black people more than 1/3 of the time, why would it be odd for them to be in more than 1/3 of the ads?

Last edited:

You obviously didn't read closely enough to my comment. The STUDY showed 0% Hispanics. I didn't say there weren't any but the topic was based on this study.
But thanks for the single case contributions. Now if you could find how many commercials were run with Hispanics as the primary or secondary actors that would be more relevant.
Just 3 examples is not enough. Do a little research.

Have you looked at the actual study, or only the article? Just because Hispanics aren't listed in the numbers in the article doesn't mean the study concluded they made up 0% of commercial actors. I'm not going to buy a 20 year old book to see what the authors may have found about Hispanics in commercials, but perhaps you've already seen it.

I find it funny that the OP brings this up as though blacks are being given too much prominence, asking if guilt is pushing having blacks in commercials as much as they are, yet the book the study comes from seems to indicate that blacks are treated poorly in the media.

Here's an excerpt from the book synopsis: "They reveal instead a subtle pattern of images that, while making room for Blacks, implies a racial hierarchy with Whites on top and promotes a sense of difference and conflict. Commercials, for example, feature plenty of Black characters. But unlike Whites, they rarely speak to or touch one another. In prime time, the few Blacks who escape sitcom buffoonery rarely enjoy informal, friendly contact with White colleagues—perhaps reinforcing social distance in real life."

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-black-image-in-the-white-mind-robert-m-entman/1120425424

This seems to be another in a long line of examples of how statistics can say what you want them to say. :)

Damn, that must hurt your desire to only be around your own race.

But, putting that aside, if you encounter black people more than 1/3 of the time, why would it be odd for them to be in more than 1/3 of the ads?

I said it was odd? When?

Just because I live in a black neighborhood doesn't mean everybody does. Most white people will move to a white area because they are comfortable with their own kind; that is if they can afford it.

Other than living here, I probably would still run into a lot of black people because I pickup and deliver to companies all over the state, although most of them locally.

But again, it's based on where you are from and where you live at. I'm sure many whites don't interact with blacks 2% of the time. My Uncle once moved to Washington state years go. He said if you seen one black person in public in a weeks time, that was very rare. He seen very few blacks when he lived there. Utah has a black population of 1%. How much interaction with blacks do they have there? Montana? Less than 1%.

View attachment 213032

58.8% of commercials were all white, and whites were in at least 87.5% of commercials, yet whites are only 63.3% of the population according to your graph. Why are whites in so many more commercials than their percentage of the population? Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make whites feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think whites will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

According to the stats in the OP, 9.1% of commercials had actors that appeared "East Asian." According to your chart, only 4.9% of the country is Asian. Why are Asians in so many more commercials than their percentage of the population? Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make Asians feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think Asians will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

Do you see the ridiculousness of your position, at least regarding the percentages shown?

Why would this OP even raise this "issue" as important? As much as I dislike TV and its ads in general, it appears that the OP is disturbed that African-Americans are being portrayed in the media as normal people leading normal, everyday lives. Black couples, and interracial couples actually do have breakfast and dinner with their kids. And (gasp!) they hold weddings, funerals, picnics, church and school functions, go to church, actually love somebody.

I said it was odd? When?

When you came up with reasons why it has happening, as if it were out of the ordinary.

Just because I live in a black neighborhood doesn't mean everybody does. Most white people will move to a white area because they are comfortable with their own kind; that is if they can afford it.

Other than living here, I probably would still run into a lot of black people because I pickup and deliver to companies all over the state, although most of them locally.

You have unique view of white people, seems you project your own feelings on the the whole race. I personally do not know a single white person that would pick a neighborhood based upon the color of the people living around them.

But again, it's based on where you are from and where you live at. I'm sure many whites don't interact with blacks 2% of the time. My Uncle once moved to Washington state years go. He said if you seen one black person in public in a weeks time, that was very rare. He seen very few blacks when he lived there. Utah has a black population of 1%. How much interaction with blacks do they have there? Montana? Less than 1%.

When companies are making ads, they focus on the larger groups, so those folks in Montana and Utah are not always taken into account. I do not think they really care about racist that do not want to see black people on their TV screens.

Why would this OP even raise this "issue" as important? As much as I dislike TV and its ads in general, it appears that the OP is disturbed that African-Americans are being portrayed in the media as normal people leading normal, everyday lives. Black couples, and interracial couples actually do have breakfast and dinner with their kids. And (gasp!) they hold weddings, funerals, picnics, church and school functions, go to church, actually love somebody.

I think you just proverbially hit it out of the park. That's exactly what's going on here. :thup:

This site should have a forum for threads like this one, called "Butthurt".

You have unique view of white people, seems you project your own feelings on the the whole race. I personally do not know a single white person that would pick a neighborhood based upon the color of the people living around them.

Then you must not know very many smart white people. Blacks bring property values down. One, five, seven percent? not too much. But once a neighborhood goes over 30% black, values fall drastically.

I've lived here for 35 years; 25 of those years I owned the place. Of course it was mostly white when I bought it.

I had a bank appraisal done a few years back. They appraised the property at less value than I paid for it 25 years ago, and I got it at a damn good price because I was a tenant here. This is typical for areas that have a large percentage of blacks moving in.

So if you know white people that are not including that factor in their purchase, they are not very wise investors.

When companies are making ads, they focus on the larger groups, so those folks in Montana and Utah are not always taken into account. I do not think they really care about racist that do not want to see black people on their TV screens.

It didn't have anything to do with that. You made the assumption that most whites interact with blacks 30% of the time. Companies do expose themselves to the largest audience they can; city people. So that's probably one of the reasons you see so many blacks in ads today.

Forum List

Back