At the risk of being labeled "racist", "xenophobic","white supremacist" what is the reason for...

the results of this study.
Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox,
  • African Americans appeared in 32 percent of them.
  • Additionally, 3.3 percent of the ads featured only black actors,
  • 28.7 percent featured both black and white actors,
  • 58.8 percent featured only whites, and
  • 9.1 percent had actors of an “East Asian facial cast.”
Too Many African Americans in TV Ads?

Now why then were over 35% of the ads had black actors while blacks make up ONLY 12.6% of the USA total population?

Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make blacks feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think blacks will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

Someone explain to me why if numbers drive advertisers to spend nearly $70 billion on TV advertising
U.S. TV Ad Spend Drops As Digital Ad Spend Climbs To $107B In 2018 ... of the total $190 billion or almost 36% on TV
https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-is-spent-on-advertising-in-the-US
(and this is just TV...) over 35% of TV ads have blacks ...EVEN though they are 12.6% of total USA population.

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME ANY RESPONSES THAT I'M RACIST, OR XENOPHOBIC OR WHATEVER!

https://statisticalatlas.com/United-States/Race-and-Ethnicity
View attachment 212909

What percentage of the actors in commercials are black. The study says that blacks appear in 32% of the ads but if the ad has five people in the ad, and only one of them are black, and he/she then only 20% of the actors in that commercial are black.

This is a prime example of “figures never lie, but liars often figure”. Every time I walk down the street, or look out my car window, I see people who aren’t white. But my town in overwhelmingly white. Am I only supposed to see people of colour in the exact proportions as they appear in the population?

And last but not least, why does this bother you?

I wondered this as well. How many ads have blacks in them doesn't actually tell us the percentage of blacks in the ads, which would seem to be the important number if one is comparing to the percentage of the population that is black.

The study apparently found that almost 60% of the ads had only white actors. Should we be concerned that whites are over-represented in commercials? :p

So what's wrong with appealing to a white audience? How many whites are on the BET channel?

In the past several long running hit shows had all white casts. They did well for many, many years. Then the blacks started to complain about it, so they had to make a role for a new black actor or actress. Then the shows went right down the toilet. Two that comes to mind were Friends and That 70's show.

And once again, in matters of race, you’re wrong.

Wilmer Valderrama’s Fez was a part of the cast from day one. There were no black people added late in the series.

As for Friends, it was ridiculous that a show set in Manhattan, almost never showed anyone but white people. Not even in the background or on the street.

Yes they added one black character briefly. I doubt her appearance had anything to do with declining quality but rather showed that they had pretty much exhausted their ideas for the concept.

The series went on too long. The show was supposed to be about 20 something’s leaning on one another as they start their lives and careers in New York. After 10 years they came across less as helping each other through the trials of early adult life, and more as commitment phobic adults looking for excuses to never grow up.

As an adult, I was a lot like the cast in my early 20’s, and could relate to their experiences, but 10 years later I was a married woman with two young children, a house, a mortgage, and a job as a bank manager. The cast of friends came across as entitled, immature and emotionally stunted. I didn’t bother watching the final season. I neither know nor care if Ross and Rachael ever got married.

The fact that you think these shows were destroyed by introducing black characters just shows what s total bigot you are.

I don't know if it's true, but I read that Aisha Tyler's character on friends was written before the race of the actor was considered. :dunno:

Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox,

Now why then were over 35% of the ads had black actors while blacks make up ONLY 12.6% of the USA total population?

Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make blacks feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think blacks will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

Someone explain to me why if numbers drive advertisers to spend nearly $70 billion on TV advertising
U.S. TV Ad Spend Drops As Digital Ad Spend Climbs To $107B In 2018 ... of the total $190 billion or almost 36% on TV
(and this is just TV...) over 35% of TV ads have blacks ...EVEN though they are 12.6% of total USA population.

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

What percentage of the actors in commercials are black. The study says that blacks appear in 32% of the ads but if the ad has five people in the ad, and only one of them are black, and he/she then only 20% of the actors in that commercial are black.

This is a prime example of “figures never lie, but liars often figure”. Every time I walk down the street, or look out my car window, I see people who aren’t white. But my town in overwhelmingly white. Am I only supposed to see people of colour in the exact proportions as they appear in the population?

I wondered this as well. How many ads have blacks in them doesn't actually tell us the percentage of blacks in the ads, which would seem to be the important number if one is comparing to the percentage of the population that is black.

The study apparently found that almost 60% of the ads had only white actors. Should we be concerned that whites are over-represented in commercials? :p

So what's wrong with appealing to a white audience? How many whites are on the BET channel?

In the past several long running hit shows had all white casts. They did well for many, many years. Then the blacks started to complain about it, so they had to make a role for a new black actor or actress. Then the shows went right down the toilet. Two that comes to mind were Friends and That 70's show.

What about the statistics involved gives the impression that white audiences are not being appealed to? 58.8% of ads were all-white. Another 28.7% had blacks and whites. That's 87.5% of all ads having whites, and the number is likely higher; there were probably ads with whites and people of other races, but no blacks.

If the point of the thread is that having blacks in 32% of ads is a problem because blacks are only 12.6% of the population, wouldn't having whites in at least 87.5% of ads when they are only 63.3% of the population also be a problem?

Are you really saying that Friends and That 70s Show became bad shows because of the inclusion of a black actor?

I didn't say that, but the show was written for a certain group of people and yes, I think forcing a new role turned off a lot of people.

I don't watch sitcoms that much, but in the 70's there were mostly black shows on. The Jeffersons come to mind and so does Sanford and Son. It was mostly a black cast. The only part whites had were the idiots or outcast of the show. The Jeffersons had an annoying white neighbor that intruded all the time. On Sanford and Sons, it was the white cop that was always trying to use black phrases and looked like an idiot.

As I stated earlier about BET. It's probably a mostly black audience, so having shows and commercials with exclusively black actors is not that unusual. They are appealing to their audience.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by bringing up The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son. Yes, they were mostly black cast sitcoms. What's the point? That black actors in commercials should be seen only during shows with mostly black casts? The statistics given in the OP show only 3.3% of commercials have all-black actors, so it's not as if other races are being entirely excluded from most advertising in favor of blacks. What does the couple of mostly black shows you bring up have to do with this thread exactly?

How about this? 98% of the paying fans at major sports events are white...except for hockey, where it 99.8% white. Essentially all of the paying customers at NFL games are white, and 90% of THEM think the National Anthem "protests" are either stupid, un-American, or both.

Can't imagine why the Owners want to quash them.

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

Faghadist are overly represented in TV programing and commercials also. Media loves pandering to the commiecrat victim classes.

I don't know what's sad about it. People are entertained by other people like them. Why is there something wrong with that?

Correction, some people are entertained by other people like them, me personally think that sounds boring as all hell. I like variety in all things, including my entertainment. The idea of only watching straight white people sounds like torture.

Well one other observation that isn't backed up with statistics but just from my personal watching of the commercials.
In many of the black with whites commercials, it is the black actor that seems more intelligent. Has the answers. The white male is the dunce.

So in doing a search on google..."commercials where black guys smarter than white guys"
The below link comes up. When you click on the link... nothing happens. Youtube censorship. Political correctness has a price.

the white guy is always the idiot in commercials

So another source: Copyranter: The go-to ad joke is - still - the white male moron - Digiday
Copyranter: The go-to ad joke is — still — the white male moron

After seeing this new TurboTax commercial featuring a white male dullard and his pool a few times, I went deep ad archive diving, watching most of the national major brand spots released in the Western world over the last year. Hundreds of ads. I found over 50 White Man Moron ads.

And as I glanced at the credits on all these spots, I noticed an obvious if inexplicable thing: Most of the creatives who created these dumb white man ads — as in like 80 percent of them — were … white males.

The article has several video examples of where the WHITE MALE is the dunce.

Thank goodness there are still plenty of WHITE males that are smart enough and compassionate enough to let this idiocy go by.
But I would think if I were a black guy that this tremendously OVERT pandering would be about as embarassing as this: classic white guy trying to be black...
funny at the time but truly embarrassing today!

Prime time television viewership skews heavily female. Women watch a lot more TV than men.

Women Viewers Continue to Rule Broadcast Primetime

They also do more of the family shopping and control the household budgets. It stands to reason that the commercials would be designed to appeal more to women than men. Hence the “idiot white guy” stereotype.

We used to see a lot of Viagara commercials in prime time. I personally found them cringe worthy. Apparently, I wasn’t alone.

The Advertizing Standards Council of Canada had more complaints about the Viagara/Ciallis commercials than all others. All of their commercial story boards and scripts were submitted for approval before shooting. Now I seldom see any ads for either product.

Men watch more sports tv. Whole different set of advertisers. You don’t see Cadillac, Mercedes, or Rolex advertizing on The Batchelor. The high end boy toy ads are on the Golf Chanel, or the Sports Chanel’s. Same with beer ads, although you’re more likely to see Single Malt Scotch advertised on the Golf Chanel and beer on the MLB Network.

Ads are designed to appeal to the buyer and those who might become buyers.

Ray thinks that they use less attractive women in ads that appeal to women. Or ads that “look good” rather than ads that appeal to the target demographic. And as usual Ray would be wrong.

Television ads are expensive. $125,000 to run a 30 second spot on a national network TV show. That’s over and above the production costs. The ad has to do a whole lot more than be visually appealing. It had to deliver sufficient sales to warrant the costs of producing and running it.

If the ad doesn’t doesn’t appeal to the target audience, or worse, offends potential buyers, it’s not worth it.

I don't know what's sad about it. People are entertained by other people like them. Why is there something wrong with that?

Correction, some people are entertained by other people like them, me personally think that sounds boring as all hell. I like variety in all things, including my entertainment. The idea of only watching straight white people sounds like torture.

To each his own I always say. But my opinion is there is nothing wrong with people (of any race) enjoying a show of other people of their race.

What about the statistics involved gives the impression that white audiences are not being appealed to? 58.8% of ads were all-white. Another 28.7% had blacks and whites. That's 87.5% of all ads having whites, and the number is likely higher; there were probably ads with whites and people of other races, but no blacks.

If the point of the thread is that having blacks in 32% of ads is a problem because blacks are only 12.6% of the population, wouldn't having whites in at least 87.5% of ads when they are only 63.3% of the population also be a problem?

Are you really saying that Friends and That 70s Show became bad shows because of the inclusion of a black actor?

I didn't say that, but the show was written for a certain group of people and yes, I think forcing a new role turned off a lot of people.

I don't watch sitcoms that much, but in the 70's there were mostly black shows on. The Jeffersons come to mind and so does Sanford and Son. It was mostly a black cast. The only part whites had were the idiots or outcast of the show. The Jeffersons had an annoying white neighbor that intruded all the time. On Sanford and Sons, it was the white cop that was always trying to use black phrases and looked like an idiot.

As I stated earlier about BET. It's probably a mostly black audience, so having shows and commercials with exclusively black actors is not that unusual. They are appealing to their audience.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by bringing up The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son. Yes, they were mostly black cast sitcoms. What's the point? That black actors in commercials should be seen only during shows with mostly black casts? The statistics given in the OP show only 3.3% of commercials have all-black actors, so it's not as if other races are being entirely excluded from most advertising in favor of blacks. What does the couple of mostly black shows you bring up have to do with this thread exactly?

To show that both sides do it. Shows and commercials want to attract as many people as they can. If an all white show or all black show achieves that goal, then so be it.

We used to see a lot of Viagara commercials in prime time. I personally found them cringe worthy. Apparently, I wasn’t alone.

Why would that be? It's a medication for crying out loud.

The Advertizing Standards Council of Canada had more complaints about the Viagara/Ciallis commercials than all others. All of their commercial story boards and scripts were submitted for approval before shooting. Now I seldom see any ads for either product.

You have some strange people up there. What is the difference between either of those products or any other medication?

Ray thinks that they use less attractive women in ads that appeal to women. Or ads that “look good” rather than ads that appeal to the target demographic. And as usual Ray would be wrong.

No, I siad I enjoy commercials with young attractive women. I think most men do. I also said that physical attraction sells more products than people that are not physically attractive.

To each his own I always say. But my opinion is there is nothing wrong with people (of any race) enjoying a show of other people of their race.

In my opinion there is a word for those of any race that only enjoy shows with just their race...

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

You actually want to steamroll all advertising into a single glop and try to make a point out of it?

Does it just, I dunno, not bother to occur to you that a TV commercial's content is going to be designed based on what product or service it's selling and what its target demographic is?

Why the fuck would advertising then reflect the general population?

Duh?

You like it in the ass don't you?
Stop hitting on male posters here on USMB...the topic is commercial demographics, not your fixations on anal sex.

To show that both sides do it. Shows and commercials want to attract as many people as they can. If an all white show or all black show achieves that goal, then so be it.

What are the two sides? Commercials and TV shows?

I still don't see how the fact that there have been shows with mostly black casts relates to the idea that blacks being in 32% of commercials means they are over-represented, which was the basis of the OP.

You also seem to believe that a white or black audience can only be appealed to with commercials that are exclusively made up of the same race.

What hasn't been discussed here at all is this figure: 0% of any hispanic/latino in any commercials.

Yet Hispanics are the next largest demographic after White is 16.2% Hispanic.

So I sure that many of you will respond that there are several Hispanic tv networks that Hispanics watch.

OK but why not any representation on the 1,620 ads on ABC,NBC and Fox?

There had to be some discussion in the ad agencies regarding Hispanics. Why in these ads were they ignored and Blacks which at 12% less than 16% Hispanics?

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

YOur point about the numbers are correct.

But your question about why it bothers him is not. It is legit to ask why there is a divergence, if there is, between reality and media.

You’re joking right?

All the people in romantic comedies are rich. Twenty somethings with amazing jobs living in fabulous apartments driving new cars. Their parents all live in two story “executive homes” with housekeepers.

When lower income people appear in movies, they’re “gritty dramas”. Not comedies or rom-cons. And almost all of the people in these movies are white.

Media has never shown people as they really are. So the question is relevant. If you’re not upset as to how false the portrayal of white America is in the media, why are you upset about this one aspect?

And I've often discussed, with my friends, those other discrepancies between reality and Hollywood's presentation of fiction.

ALL, have something to say about Hollywood, and it is valid to ask/discuss why Hollywood makes that mistake, or purposefully misrepresents something AND the effect it might have on the public's own perception of itself, and/or what effect it might be desired to have, ect. ect ect.

Your assumption that I am only upset about THIS aspect is an assumption on your part.

Forum List

Back