At the risk of being labeled "racist", "xenophobic","white supremacist" what is the reason for...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
the results of this study.
Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox,
  • African Americans appeared in 32 percent of them.
  • Additionally, 3.3 percent of the ads featured only black actors,
  • 28.7 percent featured both black and white actors,
  • 58.8 percent featured only whites, and
  • 9.1 percent had actors of an “East Asian facial cast.”
Too Many African Americans in TV Ads?

Now why then were over 35% of the ads had black actors while blacks make up ONLY 12.6% of the USA total population?

Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make blacks feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think blacks will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

Someone explain to me why if numbers drive advertisers to spend nearly $70 billion on TV advertising
U.S. TV Ad Spend Drops As Digital Ad Spend Climbs To $107B In 2018 ... of the total $190 billion or almost 36% on TV
https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-is-spent-on-advertising-in-the-US
(and this is just TV...) over 35% of TV ads have blacks ...EVEN though they are 12.6% of total USA population.

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME ANY RESPONSES THAT I'M RACIST, OR XENOPHOBIC OR WHATEVER!

https://statisticalatlas.com/United-States/Race-and-Ethnicity
USdemographics.png

Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox,

Now why then were over 35% of the ads had black actors while blacks make up ONLY 12.6% of the USA total population?

Is it guilt?
Is it suppose to make blacks feel better that they are "pandered" to by advertisers?
Or do advertisers think blacks will buy more because they are more susceptible to this guilt trip?

Someone explain to me why if numbers drive advertisers to spend nearly $70 billion on TV advertising
U.S. TV Ad Spend Drops As Digital Ad Spend Climbs To $107B In 2018 ... of the total $190 billion or almost 36% on TV
(and this is just TV...) over 35% of TV ads have blacks ...EVEN though they are 12.6% of total USA population.

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909
Did you actually notice this yourself, or did you just run into this article somewhere?

If you are not labelled at least one of those things, you are doing something seriously wrong.

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

What percentage of the actors in commercials are black. The study says that blacks appear in 32% of the ads but if the ad has five people in the ad, and only one of them are black, and he/she then only 20% of the actors in that commercial are black.

This is a prime example of “figures never lie, but liars often figure”. Every time I walk down the street, or look out my car window, I see people who aren’t white. But my town in overwhelmingly white. Am I only supposed to see people of colour in the exact proportions as they appear in the population?

And last but not least, why does this bother you?

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

What percentage of the actors in commercials are black. The study says that blacks appear in 32% of the ads but if the ad has five people in the ad, and only one of them are black, and he/she then only 20% of the actors in that commercial are black.

This is a prime example of “figures never lie, but liars often figure”. Every time I walk down the street, or look out my car window, I see people who aren’t white. But my town in overwhelmingly white. Am I only supposed to see people of colour in the exact proportions as they appear in the population?

Yup, it's probably the classic token black in order to avert cries of racism.

If I were advertising I would want my ad to appeal to as wide a group as possible, thus I would include as many different types of people without being too silly about it. I would assume that seeing someone of a different color would not drive anyone away, and if it did then I would be happy as I did not want their money anyhow.

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

This is a good question, what percent of the people in ads are black, not just how many they are in.

The TV tends to not just push Black faces, but Black beauties, when you look at Blacks in the real World it's sometimes a bit disturbing in comparison to how they appear on TV.

They do the pretty much for all races/colors. Not a lot of really ugly men or women of any color on the TV. Can you name an ad that has an ugly person in it? I sure cannot think of one

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

I wondered this as well. How many ads have blacks in them doesn't actually tell us the percentage of blacks in the ads, which would seem to be the important number if one is comparing to the percentage of the population that is black.

The study apparently found that almost 60% of the ads had only white actors. Should we be concerned that whites are over-represented in commercials? :p

If I were advertising I would want my ad to appeal to as wide a group as possible, thus I would include as many different types of people without being too silly about it. I would assume that seeing someone of a different color would not drive anyone away, and if it did then I would be happy as I did not want their money anyhow.

^^^
Businesses want as many customers as possible. They want to appeal to as many potential consumers as they can. If they believe showing a variety of races in their ads helps, that's what they will do.

I'm actually a bit surprised the percentage of ads with only whites in them was so high for this very reason.

Most likely, the reason is because someone doesn't understand statistics. Black people might only 13% of the population, but I know that I see black people 90% of the days of the year. I see black people pretty much every day, unless I don't leave the house. So 35% of ads might include a black person, but that doesn't mean that 35% of ad actors/models are black people.

I seldom see any commercials because I DVR everything I watch. But at times when there is nothing to do, I turn on the TV to channel serf.

I myself hate politically correct commercials. They are so corny and phony. But yesterday on Fox I was watching one about some sort of medication. It had a white girl that was a singer of some sort, a black guitarist and a long haired Asian guitarist. Now I don't know about you, but I've seen plenty of bands and have been in several myself. WTF did you ever see a long haired Asian guy playing guitar?

I used to teach guitar years ago for a period of about two years. I had one Asian student the entire time and the last thing he was interested in was rock-n-roll.

It's not the race of people that are acting in the commercial that bugs me, it's just that politically correct gets me sick every time I see it.

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909

I wondered this as well. How many ads have blacks in them doesn't actually tell us the percentage of blacks in the ads, which would seem to be the important number if one is comparing to the percentage of the population that is black.

The study apparently found that almost 60% of the ads had only white actors. Should we be concerned that whites are over-represented in commercials? :p

So what's wrong with appealing to a white audience? How many whites are on the BET channel?

In the past several long running hit shows had all white casts. They did well for many, many years. Then the blacks started to complain about it, so they had to make a role for a new black actor or actress. Then the shows went right down the toilet. Two that comes to mind were Friends and That 70's show.

Is it guilt?

NOW I'M SHOUTING!!!

View attachment 212909
Did you actually notice this yourself, or did you just run into this article somewhere?

I've been noticing the disparity and wondered if others had. They had as you can see by the link I provided.

The TV tends to not just push Black faces, but Black beauties, when you look at Blacks in the real World it's sometimes a bit disturbing in comparison to how they appear on TV.

They do the pretty much for all races/colors. Not a lot of really ugly men or women of any color on the TV. Can you name an ad that has an ugly person in it? I sure cannot think of one

My favourite are ads which are set on the beach. The women are all young, slender, pretty and wearing bikinis. The men have more “realistic” bodies, but there are no fat hairy guys at all.

I live in a resort town. The people on our beaches are all sizes, ages, and shapes. Nothing like TV beaches at all.

Same thing with nightclubs in ads. All young, slim and beautiful women, and hot guys. No basis in reality at all.

^^^
Businesses want as many customers as possible. They want to appeal to as many potential consumers as they can. If they believe showing a variety of races in their ads helps, that's what they will do.

I'm actually a bit surprised the percentage of ads with only whites in them was so high for this very reason.

Maybe this article explains it...

2016 Nielsen Report: Black Buying Power Has Reached Tipping Point, But How Will Black America Leverage it to Create Wealth?
2016 Nielsen Report: Black Buying Power Has Reached Tipping Point, But How Will Black America Leverage it to Create Wealth?

Forum List

Back