Assisted Suicide

pulling the plug I agree with is if mass intervention ie:breathing and heart function is involved and a panel of MD's have agreed that there is no hope for recovery of these functions,however if it is a matter of a feeding tube and all other functions are maintained then I believe it is wrong...as for assisted suicide this is always wrong...if it is a matter of pain...there are medication cocktails available if the FDA and lobbists would stay out of the Doctors way!
IMO

Hobbit said:
There's a big difference between pulling a life support plug (and food is not life support) and poisoning somebody. Failing to ressucitate a person who has expressed a wish not to isn't anything new. Sometimes the person just gives up the fight. However, intentionally killing one's self, whether you use a gun or a pill with a fancy name, is suicide, and that's wrong. Maybe we don't have to artificially prolong somebody's life, but we should never artificially end it. Once we allow the terminally ill to commit suicide, I guarantee it'll escalate (post birth 'abortions,' no questions asked medical suicide, suicide for the mentally ill or deeply indebted, etc.).

i think you should let people do as they wish with their own bodies as long as they don't hurt anyone or anything else ...... i guarantee you it won't escalate ..... you assume because i want to do what i want i will make you do it to ...... our country just doesn't work like that ..... you are afraid of the meteor hiting the earth ...... just ain't gonna happen .... and if it does .... you won't have to worry about things escalating....

Hobbit said:
There's a big difference between pulling a life support plug (and food is not life support) and poisoning somebody. Failing to ressucitate a person who has expressed a wish not to isn't anything new. Sometimes the person just gives up the fight. However, intentionally killing one's self, whether you use a gun or a pill with a fancy name, is suicide, and that's wrong. Maybe we don't have to artificially prolong somebody's life, but we should never artificially end it. Once we allow the terminally ill to commit suicide, I guarantee it'll escalate (post birth 'abortions,' no questions asked medical suicide, suicide for the mentally ill or deeply indebted, etc.).

And I wonder if your opinion would be different if you lay in a bed, while cancer slowly ravaged your organs and caused you to be in endless excruciating pain that wasn't assuaged with medication.

MissileMan said:
And I wonder if your opinion would be different if you lay in a bed, while cancer slowly ravaged your organs and caused you to be in endless excruciating pain that wasn't assuaged with medication.

the pain management issue was covered!

MissileMan said:

usually you will be pain managed over time into a vegitative state until the cancer causes your heart or lungs or liver or whatever to give out....you won't feel a thing.....usually takes about 6 months.....cost my uncles family about 250,000 in 1976.....

archangel said:
the pain management issue was covered!

Unless you are talking about doping someone up to the point of unconciousness, it isn't 100% effective. If you are talking about rendering the patient unconcious, what the difference between that and death?

Obviously, you can't stop people from killing themselves, because even if it were a crime, what kind of punishment can you dole out on a dead person? But you can - and the states should - keep someone from assisting in suicide.

manu1959 said:
usually you will be pain managed over time into a vegitative state until the cancer causes your heart or lungs or liver or whatever to give out....you won't feel a thing.....usually takes about 6 months.....cost my uncles family about 250,000 in 1976.....

consists of using heavy doses of Morphine and it does cause severe constipation and a vegitative state...however in England the Doctors are not restricted by the FDA and lobbists for the rx manufactors and use a coctail consisting of morphine and or heroin,cocaine,alcohol and a few other drugs which is taken orally and produces a pain free state of mind without the side effects of heavy doses of morphine sorta a happy high!

archangel said:
consists of using heavy doses of Morphine and it does cause severe constipation and a vegitative state...however in England the Doctors are not restricted by the FDA and lobbists for the rx manufactors and use a coctail consisting of morphine and or heroin,cocaine,alcohol and a few other drugs which is taken orally and produces a pain free state of mind without the side effects of heavy doses of morphine sorta a happy high!

moving to england are we?.....so are you advocating the english method? where i could also be killed if i wanted and or get stoned better before i get killed?....dude you lost me again :poke:

gop_jeff said:
Obviously, you can't stop people from killing themselves, because even if it were a crime, what kind of punishment can you dole out on a dead person? But you can - and the states should - keep someone from assisting in suicide.

How-by forcing them to get treatment they don't want ?

gop_jeff said:
"Someone" is a large group, and I tend to agree, but that's not what we're facing. "Doctor" assisted is a much smaller group.

dilloduck said:
How-by forcing them to get treatment they don't want ?

I think you misunderstand. DNR orders are not really suicide. It's a fine line, but you can't force people to artificially prolong their own lives. What assissted suicide is is when a person is currently able to live and function without medical assisstance, but is sick of being in pain from some illness and gets a doctor to poison them.

manu1959 said:
moving to england are we?.....so are you advocating the english method? where i could also be killed if i wanted and or get stoned better before i get killed?....dude you lost me again :poke:

moving to England...I just pointed out that there is a cocktail of drugs that works...and it is authorized outside of the US....pain seems to be the second issue next to costs...so the pain issue could be resolved if the FDA were to approve it...as for the costs...well I would give my last dime to help a relative of mine...this is a issue 'you' must work through!

side note: if the pain issue were resolved the patient could stay at home to pass away...saving alot of money...but I suppose this would be too restricting on some peoples time....geez they would have to visit more often!

Mr. P said:
"Someone" is a large group, and I tend to agree, but that's not what we're facing. "Doctor" assisted is a much smaller group.

Point taken.

I think that it should be illegal for doctors to assist their patients in committing suicide.

Hobbit said:
I think you misunderstand. DNR orders are not really suicide. It's a fine line, but you can't force people to artificially prolong their own lives. What assissted suicide is is when a person is currently able to live and function without medical assisstance, but is sick of being in pain from some illness and gets a doctor to poison them.

No-I understand.That's a mighty fine line. People decide to not go through chemo-therapy everyday. Instead of waiting the 6 months to die they may want to get it over with. It's a bit heavy handed to tell them they can't, isn't it? Espescially in Texas where if you can't afford to live they allow you to die.

gop_jeff said:
Point taken.

I think that it should be illegal for doctors to assist their patients in committing suicide.

To what purpose? To add a few more days of suffering to an already terminal patient?

gop_jeff said:
Point taken.

Should it also be illegal for them (Doctors) to give advice about what treatment a patient should pursue? Should the government or any outside group be allowed to dictate, solely on belief, what treatment one should or shouldn’t have? If so, watch out for the Jehovah witness crowd.

The original question was about doctor assisted suicide...but only with the patient in a rational state of mind.

So let's paint the picture:

Someone has been suffering from lung cancer for 1 year. He has gotten the chemo, radiation, etc. The doctor says there is nothing more to do...the disease will kill him in a matter of time. As the months tick away he gets weaker and weaker, more and more helpless, and is in constant pain. He is still there mentally, but his body has failed him. He can barely get out of bed. He knows the end is near and the pain is now excruciating. Should the doctor, with the rational consent of the patient, be able to assist him in a peaceful death that simply allows the pain to end?

I have seen too many people die of cancer and let me say this: No one in this forum has the authority to tell someone who is rational and wants to end their pain that they can't die. It's not your body, IT"S NOT YOUR DECISION.

Forum List

Back