Assault rifles for self defense

Home invasions? That's why you need a semi-automatic assault rifle? It's not to protect your First Amendment rights from a government that runs remote-controlled aerial assassinations on anyone that it deems "inconvenient" to corporate goals?

If you honestly cite the Second Amendment as your right to own an assault rifle to protect your television and jewelry, then you don't understand what the Second Amendment is for.

The Bill of Rights is 9 limitations on what government can do ....and one final option. The 2nd Amendment IS that final option, and as such
self loading rifles ARE specifically what the Founders were speaking of when they memorialized the Right to keep and Bear Arms.

Madison, who wrote the 2nd amendment went on to describe how the militia was a civilian militia with leaders of their own choosing and not to be controlled by the government or regular army. he also went on to describe what he saw the capabilities of the civilian militia were and how they could defeat the regular army if the government ever took arms against the people. of course the government trying to gain supreme power over the people would try to disarm the public. pin head liberal gun grabbers are too stupid to see this and attempt to aid them in their cause to make people submissive to the government.

That was back in the 1700's, when the "militia" and military both carried basically the same weapons: Muskets. And back when common citizens hunted and farmed and had to live rugged lives to survive, so really, aside from learning to march and salute, there wasn't a huge difference in "militia" and military.

TODAY?

The military is full of outstanding athletes, with world class weaponry, full time training, technology that 1980's movies could only dream of, tanks, drones, warships, etc, etc.

And the "militia" of right wing rednecks? Made up of 300 pound fatties on roto-scooters roving around Wal-Mart buying pork rinds, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon on the recliner watching NASCAR, armed with an AR15 they bought with their tax return but have never been formally trained with?

YEAH.....I don't think the militia would win that one. Hell, there are 1,000,000 cops in America. I doubt "militia" could defeat them, much less the 3,000,000 man military.

bingo. the militia and the military carried the same weapons. just as it was intended to be. as it was in the beginning. as it was in the time of our forefathers who set it up that way. but what has happened since? exactly what they tried to prevent with the bill of rights. the federal government has slowly been grabbing power from the people with the help of brain dead gun grabbing idiots like yourself who do not respect rights and freedoms. well guess what, the gun owners in this country are now growing like wildfire and they are going to take back those rights. the civilian militia should be armed just like the regular military. the way it was, the way it will be again. just as you stated.

think about this. the entire US military can't even stop an insurgency in a company the size of Afghanistan. how the hell are they going to stop one in a country the size of the USA? and when the government orders attacks on its own citizens how much of that military and how many of those police will side with the public? most cops and most military support the 2nd amendment

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

Civilian self-defense shootings fall into two categories:

- 2 or fewer shots fired

- Entire magazine emptied (person just pulling trigger until they have no more ammo, whether needed or not)

Quantam, you are wrong. If you need a gun for self defense, odds are, you wont need more than 1-2 shots. Unless you are a typical redneck with no training who panics and just keeps firing until empty......sending bullets God-knows-where into the street or parking lot.

A whole 482 cases of self defense? Not exactly comprehensive, is it?

Also, as far as your "...sending bullets God-knows-where into the street or parking lot" comment, since 84% of the incidents in this report were either in a home or in a business, the odds are that no stray bullets went into the street.

As for your "redneck" reference, you might get to know a few more rednecks. They are far more likely to have semi-autos, and your report specifically mentioned revolver shooters as more likely to empty their guns.

And just as an FYI, do you know the reason for that? While panic may have accounted for some, it is a commonly accepted bit of wisdom to fire a revolver until you are clicking on spent casings. It is easy to tell if the firing pins has fallen more than once on a casing. It shows you feared for your life. You know, for when overzealous anti-gunners want to prosecute home owners for shooting an intruder??? I know a few lawyers who recommend pulling the trigger on empty casings.

Madison, who wrote the 2nd amendment went on to describe how the militia was a civilian militia with leaders of their own choosing and not to be controlled by the government or regular army. he also went on to describe what he saw the capabilities of the civilian militia were and how they could defeat the regular army if the government ever took arms against the people. of course the government trying to gain supreme power over the people would try to disarm the public. pin head liberal gun grabbers are too stupid to see this and attempt to aid them in their cause to make people submissive to the government.

That was back in the 1700's, when the "militia" and military both carried basically the same weapons: Muskets. And back when common citizens hunted and farmed and had to live rugged lives to survive, so really, aside from learning to march and salute, there wasn't a huge difference in "militia" and military.

TODAY?

The military is full of outstanding athletes, with world class weaponry, full time training, technology that 1980's movies could only dream of, tanks, drones, warships, etc, etc.

And the "militia" of right wing rednecks? Made up of 300 pound fatties on roto-scooters roving around Wal-Mart buying pork rinds, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon on the recliner watching NASCAR, armed with an AR15 they bought with their tax return but have never been formally trained with?

YEAH.....I don't think the militia would win that one. Hell, there are 1,000,000 cops in America. I doubt "militia" could defeat them, much less the 3,000,000 man military.

bingo. the militia and the military carried the same weapons. just as it was intended to be. as it was in the beginning. as it was in the time of our forefathers who set it up that way. but what has happened since? exactly what they tried to prevent with the bill of rights. the federal government has slowly been grabbing power from the people with the help of brain dead gun grabbing idiots like yourself who do not respect rights and freedoms. well guess what, the gun owners in this country are now growing like wildfire and they are going to take back those rights. the civilian militia should be armed just like the regular military. the way it was, the way it will be again. just as you stated.

think about this. the entire US military can't even stop an insurgency in a company the size of Afghanistan. how the hell are they going to stop one in a country the size of the USA? and when the government orders attacks on its own citizens how much of that military and how many of those police will side with the public? most cops and most military support the 2nd amendment

when the government orders attacks on its own citizens how much of that military and how many of those police will side with the public?

i posted an article this morning

saying that the military and the police flipped sides to the

Ukrainian opposition just last night

Time frame regardless...the Founders meant what they stated...YOU seem to advocate the destruction of your own liberty, much less protect it. WHY?

Just because the calendar changes and there are advances in technology...does the human RIGHT to Liberty, protection of it change?

NO, it does NOT.

Game ,set, match. *BYE*

Buc at one time stated he was a devout conservative, then the last election cycle came up and he stated he no longer could be a republican and turned to a democrat.
When he turned, he turned his back on anything that was remotely conservative and became a far left liberal.
I guess that meant his feelings on the Second Amendment, with as many people who own firearms in America, the only way to remove them would be to literally destroy this nation, and no government of ours would do that.

Nope. Not what it meant. It meant when I saw my former fellow right wingers chugging more and more bullshit and wanting to see who could jump off the highest cliff.......I decided to pack my bag and leave.

I always have, and still do, believe in the right to own a gun.

Read that again. The right to own "A GUN".

Not "ANY" gun.

Some weapons do not belong in the hands of civilians. That's just a pure FACT that any cop or military person surely would agree on. Only a fucking idiot would think ANY weapon should be in the hands of ANY civilian and see it as a "right". There is a line to be drawn in what weapons the general public should be allowed to have.

please, you are the biggest koolaid swilling bozo if you buy into the load of crap the democrats have laid on the American public in the last 5 1/2 years. we are in worse shape than ever before. obama blasted the patriot act and then made it even stronger. the gap between the rich and poor has grown wider and faster than ever before. in 5 years he increased the deficit from 10 trillion to nearly 18 trillion. the economy is still in the tank for the average American. jobs have not been brought back onshore. 47% of the population is one entitlements. seniors are forced to retire later or just keep on working. wipe the goofy grape moustache off your lips and join the real world again.

TODAY?

No training? Do you realize that there are 24.5 million veterans in the US?

You want to talk facts, but continue with this ridiculous nonsense about rednecks ect ect.

Oh, and if you talk to military experts and ask them the most cost efficient weapon system? The sniper. In other words, pretty much what every hunter does for months every year.

TODAY?

when the government orders attacks on its own citizens how much of that military and how many of those police will side with the public?

it would happen here fast too. people are frustrated beyond imagination. approval for government has never been lower. look at the frenzy just the unvalidated threat of government trying to take guns has caused. gun manufacturers doubling and near tripling production can't keep up with demand. ammunition manufacturers can't keep up with demand and we have a flood of foreign ammunition pouring into the country. still it is not enough. people are reloading like never before. people are making their own projectiles. just try buying a 9mm mold or sizing and lubricating die. now make that threat real and watch the people revolt.

99.9% of all civilian uses of a gun for self defense are 2 shots or less. Almost always with a handgun.

The right wing rednecks have watched "Red Dawn" one too many times.

And, they're convinced that a communist president is gonna turn the US military against them and somehow, with their trusty AR15 and NO TRAINING, they'll fight off the most powerful military the world has ever known.

Bucs, how come the most powerful military in the world couldn't stabilize Iraq - an area maybe 1/15th the size of the US - after 10 years of fighting? The people there are poorer, less educated, and much less connected (most people here have access to internet, etc) than the United States population but SOMEHOW their makeshift armies and militias were able to hold them off for quite some time. Why is that Buc? A real life example that happened only a few years ago.

Also, your assumption is that 100% of the military will be siding with the Federal Government if they were ever asked to fire on US citizens. Definitely, definitely not the case, lol. I would expect a great supermajority of the military to side with the people if ever asked to do such a thing..

Last edited:
So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

I am a hunter. The only AR I have owned I bought specifically for hunting. I used it on coyote and got several double kills. No other rifle action would have allowed that.

I know, quoting my own post is strange, but I thought a correction was in order.

I do own a rifle that would be considered an "assault rifle" by those who enjoy such nomenclature. And it would be a very good hunting rifle, if I so chose to use it as such.

As I have said, I am not a huge fan of the AR or AK based rifles. Several years ago I spent a bit more and bought a Springfield M1A. A .308 is an excellent deer hunting round. And while my M1A is longer and heavier than my deer rifles, it would do a magnificent job. I choose to enjoy the amazing accuracy at the range. I can pop milk jugs of water at 500+ yards.

99.9% of all civilian uses of a gun for self defense are 2 shots or less. Almost always with a handgun.

And, they're convinced that a communist president is gonna turn the US military against them and somehow, with their trusty AR15 and NO TRAINING, they'll fight off the most powerful military the world has ever known.

Bucs, how come the most powerful military in the world couldn't stabilize Iraq - an area maybe 1/15th the size of the US - after 10 years of fighting? The people there are poorer, less educated, and much less connected (most people here have access to internet, etc) than the United States population but SOMEHOW their makeshift armies and militias were able to hold them off for quite some time. Why is that Buc? A real life example that happened only a few years ago.

Also, your assumption is that 100% of the military will be siding with the Federal Government if they were ever asked to fire on US citizens. Definitely, definitely not the case, lol. I would expect a great supermajority of the military to side with the people if ever asked to do such a thing..

EASY answer for an educated person.

Because the military is NOT a police force. It is a war fighting force.

Bush tried to turn it into a police/community building force.

And anyone with a bit of history knowledge knows a foreign occupying force will always FAIL at trying to police the native population. England couldn't do it to the colonies for long. Or to Hong Kong. Or Australia.

Only the people who are native to an area can effectively police that same area. Imagine if Chinese cops were brought over en mass to be the cops in America, under Chinese government direction. It would fail.

That's why buddy.

If the US military had wanted to just completely destroy the country of Iraq, it could have done it..without nukes....in a couple months max.

Can I believe you are that ignorant? Yes, I can.

it would happen here fast too. people are frustrated beyond imagination. approval for government has never been lower. look at the frenzy just the unvalidated threat of government trying to take guns has caused. gun manufacturers doubling and near tripling production can't keep up with demand. ammunition manufacturers can't keep up with demand and we have a flood of foreign ammunition pouring into the country. still it is not enough. people are reloading like never before. people are making their own projectiles. just try buying a 9mm mold or sizing and lubricating die. now make that threat real and watch the people revolt.

yeah the 80 percent finished ar-15 lower is even hard to come by at times

I agree here. The military and police would side with the people VERY quickly. While the people don't like government.......the approval of the military and police are almost always in the top 5 of the Gallop lists.

And laws without men to enforce them are nothing more than ink on paper.

So long as the military and police largely side with the general public (and both do, in huge %'s) then there is no real threat of government tyranny in the United States.

Which is why all this anti-government shit the right is pushing is nonsense. And American revolt wouldn't last past a week. The military and police would side with the people, and the politicians would resign in shame, and by Monday, the new American Idol episode would be running.

And anyone with a bit of history knowledge knows a foreign occupying force will always FAIL at trying to police the native population. England couldn't do it to the colonies for long. Or to Hong Kong. Or Australia.

Only the people who are native to an area can effectively police that same area. Imagine if Chinese cops were brought over en mass to be the cops in America, under Chinese government direction. It would fail.

That's why buddy.

If the US military had wanted to just completely destroy the country of Iraq, it could have done it..without nukes....in a couple months max.

You honestly think the US government would put down a revolt by NUKING its own country? No man, that's fucking ridiculous. Their only option would be to send in ground troops.

And you have two big problems with this (when talking about the chances of Gov't success):

1.) Again, the vast majority of the military would flat out refuse to fire on US citizens. So that's a problem.

2.) The US is fucking huuugggeee man. It's gigantic. Maintaining control by force is almost impossible.

That's why buddy.

Obama has had no better luck. in fact insurgency is on the rise in the region. we're losing ground bush gained. and you really think these people are going to turn on American citizens? are going to perform shock and awe on American communities? ain't going to happen

TODAY?

No training? Do you realize that there are 24.5 million veterans in the US?

You want to talk facts, but continue with this ridiculous nonsense about rednecks ect ect.

Oh, and if you talk to military experts and ask them the most cost efficient weapon system? The sniper. In other words, pretty much what every hunter does for months every year.
:clap2:

Guess what, oh master of irrelevant statistics, 100% of your statistics are bullshit.

So what is the average number of shots used in a civilian self-defense shooting??? 30??

If your statistic wasn't fabricated out of the empty space you call a mind you would have provided a link.

Thanks for proving my made up statistic is less bullshit than your made up statistic.

- 2 or fewer shots fired

- Entire magazine emptied (person just pulling trigger until they have no more ammo, whether needed or not)

Quantam, you are wrong. If you need a gun for self defense, odds are, you wont need more than 1-2 shots. Unless you are a typical redneck with no training who panics and just keeps firing until empty......sending bullets God-knows-where into the street or parking lot.

Odds are that you will be hit by lighting before a plane you are on gets hijacked, yet you support the TSA.

Think about it, which makes more sense, buying a 2 shot gun because the statistics say that you only need 2 shots, or having more just in case you need them? For example, this woman would have been fucked.

Mom opens fire on home invaders in Detroit to defend children - WXYZ.com

By the way, did your link actually made the case for semi automatic weapons?

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty. It appears that revolver shooters are more likely to empty their guns than autoloader shooters. At least one assailant was killed in 34% of all incidents. At least one assailant was wounded in an additional 29% of all incidents. Of the incidents where shots are fired by a defender, at least one assailant is killed in 53% of those incidents.

I guess that makes me right, doesn't it?

- 2 or fewer shots fired

Quantam, I see you responded to yourself when you realized I DID provide a link. And the stats show, that you will almost never need more than 2 shots.

The need for 30? Or 60? Just never gonna happen.

- 2 or fewer shots fired

Quantam, I see you responded to yourself when you realized I DID provide a link. And the stats show, that you will almost never need more than 2 shots.

The need for 30? Or 60? Just never gonna happen.

So you say. But let me ask you an important question. Your link (using less than 500 incidents) remarked that revolver shooters were more likely to empty their gun.

Can you explain how they determined whether it was the first shot or the sixth shot that ended the confrontation? In otherwords, with a 2 shot average how many were 1 shot kills and how many required emptying the gun?

Forum List

Back