Asperger's

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Is it unPC to ask another poster if they have Asperger's? I'm curious about one or two people here.

It's a messageboard, Ravi. We call each other filthy names and accuse one another of vile acts. I think we're past worrying about what's PC.

Honestly, Ravi, you can't diagnose Asperger's by reading people's posts. I'd love to hear what *symptoms* you think you're seeing.

Lol...

I dunno but I know a couple of writers with it. I think it would be exceedingly difficult to diagnose through written communication.

Again, it's a form of autism that presents as (primarily) social ineptness.

Asperger's Syndrome-Symptoms

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

Again, it's a form of autism that presents as (primarily) social ineptness.

Asperger's Syndrome-Symptoms

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

I am in deep doodoo;

Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
Dislike any changes in routines.

Appear to lack empathy.

Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others’ speech. Thus, your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. Likewise, his or her speech may be flat and difficult to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.

Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."

Avoid eye contact or stare at others.

Have unusual facial expressions or postures.

Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.

Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.

Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures.

Can I get a special exemption from Obamacare if I have aspergers?

Forum List

Back