Asperger's

Again, it's a form of autism that presents as (primarily) social ineptness.

Asperger's Syndrome-Symptoms

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

Michael Lewis in his book The Big Short profiled a hedge fund manager who has Asperger's and made a fortune by shorting subprime mortgages. He said that if he didn't have Asperger's, he probably wouldn't have become rich because his extremely obsessive behavior is what caused him to do the research necessary.

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

Michael Lewis in his book The Big Short profiled a hedge fund manager who has Asperger's and made a fortune by shorting subprime mortgages. He said that if he didn't have Asperger's, he probably wouldn't have become rich because his extremely obsessive behavior is what caused him to do the research necessary.

So there is hope for me yet.

I could deal with being an eccentric billionaire. The women would probably over look the aspergers thing.

There are too many things misunderstood about downs' syndrom let alone about other mental 'illnesses'. Eccentricity is just a tip of the proverbial iceburg. So much about mainstream is still deluded and delusional about what seems as obvious as mental disease and it sure isn't anything as diagnosed/misdiagnosed as 'asperger's' has become.

My two nephews are diagnosed with some form of this. If it weren't for my sister they would have fallen through the cracks and been lost in a classroom shuffle of "get rid of the wierd kids".

Instead she insisted that IEP's be established for each of them. They're both extremely gifted, the younger one (eight years old) is being courted by MENSA.

It's a constant struggle to keep them focused and on task and to keep the school teachers/admins involved. As my sister puts it, her kids are technically "brain damaged".

Last edited:
It's a messageboard, Ravi. We call each other filthy names and accuse one another of vile acts. I think we're past worrying about what's PC.
:confused: I don't think asking someone if they have Asperger's is a filthy name....why do you?

I just think knowing would make it easier to communicate.

Asperger's Syndrome is essentially a high-functioning version of Down's Syndrome.
No it isn't.

btw...there is an unwritten rule here, if you have someone on ignore you aren't allowed to comment on their threads.

There are people who think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg show signs of having aspergers.
Yep...and I think Babble is wrong, it is actually more easy to spot when you are communicating in written language. People that don't get puns and take everything literally are more likely to have Asperger's.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing...I would just tend to not make puns, inside jokes, or figurative references when talking to someone that is literal minded.

No it isn't.

btw...there is an unwritten rule here, if you have someone on ignore you aren't allowed to comment on their threads.

There are people who think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg show signs of having aspergers.
Yep...and I think Babble is wrong, it is actually more easy to spot when you are communicating in written language. People that don't get puns and take everything literally are more likely to have Asperger's.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing...I would just tend to not make puns, inside jokes, or figurative references when talking to someone that is literal minded.

The more I 'get out into the world' *lola* (okay, which is quite the comical thing, considering...) the more I realize that everyone seems to struggle with the very issues I thought were only my own deficiencies. Psychology, philosophy and such are fields that kick my head into gear and I get trippy... in ways that so few seem to follow. Yet, in the same ways I don't always follow basic conversation or dry humor and sarcasm. My worst to catch on to is sarcasm. Is this aspergers? Perhaps, yet then, perhaps not. It may just be evidence of 'us all' coming from different backgrounds and tapping into different levels of mentalism.

Hahahaha I often think that perhaps I should not reply so much as I am sure enough revealing how little I know, yet it seems if fewer 'flawed' people were to have less to say/post I would not have learned as much as I have thus far.

Last edited:
I have observed that people on the internet often do not use the same levbel of communication they use as in person.

There is a sense of freeing yourself from true social recrinimation that you see in person to person communications.

The removal of the actiual person standing in front of you and displaying their emotions in their facial expressions and body language gives many people a sense of "I can say anything".

People seem to relish in imagining the emotions the people they are talking to instead of facing the real emotions of real people.

They can imagine just the emotion they were trying to elicit from their opponent instead of what would be evident on the persons face in a face to face exchange.

In other words people here who relish the effect their words have on others negatively are living in a fantasy land.

They imagine the emotions their words elicit instead knowing the true impact of their words.

You rejoice in a false emotion.

You rejoice in a fantasy.

Keep in mind what is real and what is merely in your fatasy.

Many here dont seem to know the differance.

No it isn't.

That's commonly referred to as being anal. Those are the ones who need it the most........ :eusa_whistle:

I have observed that people on the internet often do not use the same levbel of communication they use as in person.

There is a sense of freeing yourself from true social recrinimation that you see in person to person communications.

The removal of the actiual person standing in front of you and displaying their emotions in their facial expressions and body language gives many people a sense of "I can say anything".

People seem to relish in imagining the emotions the people they are talking to instead of facing the real emotions of real people.

They can imagine just the emotion they were trying to elicit from their opponent instead of what would be evident on the persons face in a face to face exchange.

In other words people here who relish the effect their words have on others negatively are living in a fantasy land.

They imagine the emotions their words elicit instead knowing the true impact of their words.

You rejoice in a false emotion.

You rejoice in a fantasy.

Keep in mind what is real and what is merely in your fatasy.

Many here dont seem to know the differance.

I think you have ass-spellers syndrome, TM! :eek:

Isn't focusing on a single topic, like Asperger's, one of the patterns of behaviour of Asperger's? Maybe you should see a doctor to see about getting treatment instead of finding others in an attempt to prove that you are normal.

Asperger's Syndrome is essentially a high-functioning version of Down's Syndrome.

not even close

You would think someone with Internet Access would be able to Google "Aspergers" and get some information about it before spouting off (wrongly) about it.

Here is a start for the rookies out there, and Anachronism:

Asperger's syndrome — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment for this disorder affecting communication, social skills.

Definition

Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects a person's ability to socialize and communicate effectively with others. Children with Asperger's syndrome typically exhibit social awkwardness and an all-absorbing interest in specific topics.

Doctors group Asperger's syndrome with other conditions that are called autistic spectrum disorders or pervasive developmental disorders. These disorders all involve problems with social skills and communication. Asperger's syndrome is generally thought to be at the milder end of this spectrum.

While there's no cure for Asperger's syndrome, if your child has the condition treatment can help him or her learn how to interact more successfully in social situations.

asperger's syndrome - Bing Health

{The more ya know yo}. :eusa_whistle:

My son is currently diagnosed with it. He originally was diagnosed with high functioning autism, and was recently "upgraded" as they called it, to aspergers.

I don't really see it though. His speech is behind but his social abilities have improved a lot. He's got a little girlfriend in his preschool class too which is more than can be said for the "normal" kids.

At 3.5, he's reading complex words and spelling them, and counting to 100. Amongst a ton of other cool things that most 3.5 year olds don't do.

I'd say at this point, he's WINNINGGGGG!

My son is currently diagnosed with it. He originally was diagnosed with high functioning autism, and was recently "upgraded" as they called it, to aspergers.

I don't really see it though. His speech is behind but his social abilities have improved a lot. He's got a little girlfriend in his preschool class too which is more than can be said for the "normal" kids.

At 3.5, he's reading complex words and spelling them, and counting to 100. Amongst a ton of other cool things that most 3.5 year olds don't do.

CharlieSheenWinning.jpg

not even close

You would think someone with Internet Access would be able to Google "Aspergers" and get some information about it before spouting off (wrongly) about it.

Here is a start for the rookies out there, and Anachronism:

Asperger's syndrome — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment for this disorder affecting communication, social skills.

Definition

Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects a person's ability to socialize and communicate effectively with others. Children with Asperger's syndrome typically exhibit social awkwardness and an all-absorbing interest in specific topics.

Doctors group Asperger's syndrome with other conditions that are called autistic spectrum disorders or pervasive developmental disorders. These disorders all involve problems with social skills and communication. Asperger's syndrome is generally thought to be at the milder end of this spectrum.

While there's no cure for Asperger's syndrome, if your child has the condition treatment can help him or her learn how to interact more successfully in social situations.

asperger's syndrome - Bing Health

{The more ya know yo}. :eusa_whistle:

I have seen aspergers used and misused in so many contexts that it is almost a given for mainstream to 'get it wrong' or misunderstand what it can entail. :doubt:

Stay on top of it. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Forum List

Back