Ask a Buddhist

Sometimes, that which OTHER PEOPLE don't survive makes us stronger, too.

I can agree with that, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'fortunate' though.

I consider it most fortunate. I consider it a gift from my father and a way that I was able to honor him in death. My father helped me understand that life is suffering.

I wouldn't have found my way to Buddhism if everything in my life was hunky dory.

Whatever makes you happy, Sky. :eusa_angel:

You would call dealing with your father comitting suicide a 'fortunate experience'?

I do now because I really had to grow and change. That pain caused me to take up the path of meditation.

One would hope that you might not have needed that path had your father not done what he did, or you would have found it eventually regardless of your father's circumstances.

It was karma.

I can agree with that, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'fortunate' though.

I consider it most fortunate. I consider it a gift from my father and a way that I was able to honor him in death. My father helped me understand that life is suffering.

I wouldn't have found my way to Buddhism if everything in my life was hunky dory.

There's a reason I'm a Buddhist and you are not. The Buddha's teachings make complete sense to me. They totally baffle you. Christ's message makes you happy. Enjoy.

There's a reason I'm a Buddhist and you are not. The Buddha's teachings make complete sense to me. They totally baffle you. Christ's message makes you happy. Enjoy.

It has nothing to do with religion one way or the other. I could just never relate to calling my father's passing fortunate under such circumstances, that would be a totally foreign concept to me. I can see where some may see it that way if they felt that the person who passed would no longer suffer, but I could never see it as being fortunate for myself, that's all. I would never consider myself receiving anything good or fortunate out of losing a parent or a loved one.

It has nothing to do with religion one way or the other. I could just never relate to calling my father's passing fortunate under such circumstances, that would be a totally foreign concept to me. I can see where some may see it that way if they felt that the person who passed would no longer suffer, but I could never see it as being fortunate, that's all.

Suicide is a tragedy. Tragedy can turn into fortune. There waa NOTHING in the Catholic teachings that I was raised in that prepared me to deal with my father's suicide. My father's death was a turning point in my life. One year later I went to my first ten day silent meditation retreat.

Buddhism had the answers I was seeking.

Last edited:
Skull, taking a vow to TRY to do something that you know you cannot live up to isn't hypocracy.

Hypocracy is saying (or promising) one thing and knowing full that you don't believewhat you are saying (or promising) and having no intention whatever of even trying living up to it.

Spare us your literalist obtusity.

Which does NOT make her a hypocrite, it merely makes her someone who didn't think she needed to explain the bleedin OBVIOUS to us.

No it's not.

If a man's reach cannot exceed his grasp, then what's a heaven for?

Ever hear that adage before?

What do you think it means?

Those who participate in said unfulfillable vow are also guilty of a measure of that hypocrisy.

That's an absurd misreading of the spirit of the word, champ.

That hackneyed expression does not apply to Buddhists as they do not believe in heaven.

Buddhism is just as dogma laden as all the other religions that Dancer bashes. Full of the same deception and hypocrisy. Full of the same need for sheep to blindly follow the mantra of suffering and deliverance.

Which does NOT make her a hypocrite, it merely makes her someone who didn't think she needed to explain the bleedin OBVIOUS to us.

No it's not.

That hackneyed expression does not apply to Buddhists as they do not believe in heaven.

Buddhism is just as dogma laden as all the other religions that Dancer bashes. Full of the same deception and hypocrisy. Full of the same need for sheep to blindly follow the mantra of suffering and deliverance.

If you've already decided that Buddhism is not for you why keep asking questions about it?

What's your interest?

Do you identify as an atheist or agnostic or do you have a spiritual path?

Last edited:

No it's not.

You really are a literalist, aren't you?

Buddhism is just as dogma laden as all the other religions that Dancer bashes.

Of course it does.

Every faith based ideology or belief system has dogma.

Full of the same deception and hypocrisy.

Maybe or maybe not. Dogma is a values neutral term.

Full of the same need for sheep to blindly follow the mantra of suffering and deliverance.

Every faith requires one to blindly accept, without doubt.

That doesn't make every person of faith a hypocrite, though.

If you've already decided that Buddhism is not for you why keep asking questions about it?

What's your interest?

I have an interest in exposing hypocrisy and a never ending disdain for those who claim to know the "truth" of life.

I've seen you bash other religions for their beliefs yet you follow a religion that is full of the same pap, dogma and doctrines.

Everyone suffers because you say so. You say you won't kill but you admit you must to live. You are following a path that another has defined just as Christians, Jews and Muslims or sheep of any other religion do.

And I have said in other threads that you have participated in that I am an atheist. I do not believe that all life is defined by suffering just as I do not believe in some eternal reward.

Every day you draw breath is yours to define as you see fit. Why would you choose to define it as eternal suffering? Whose "truth" is that? You are guilty of the same blind belief in a religious dogma as anyone else and you call it "truth".

Of course it does.

Actually, Buddhism doesn't require blind faith. We are advised to 'try out' the teachings and accept only what seems true for us.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

What's your interest?

I have an interest in exposing hypocrisy and a never ending disdain for those who claim to know the "truth" of life.

I've seen you bash other religions for their beliefs yet you follow a religion that is full of the same pap, dogma and doctrines.

Everyone suffers because you say so. You say you won't kill but you admit you must to live. You are following a path that another has defined just as Christians, Jews and Muslims or sheep of any other religion do.

And I have said in other threads that you have participated in that I am an atheist. I do not believe that all life is defined by suffering just as I do not believe in some eternal reward.

Every day you draw breath is yours to define as you see fit. Why would you choose to define it as eternal suffering? Whose "truth" is that? You are guilty of the same blind belief in a religious dogma as anyone else and you call it "truth".

Just a comment. There is no eternal anything in Buddhism. Everything in the known universe is impermanent.

Thank you for answering my questions so honestly.

If you were paying attention to my posts closely you would see that I criticise the actions of a minority of political Christians and with some of the policies of the Catholic Church. I do not find fault with or crticise the teachings of Christ. I have respect for them.

Last edited:

Of course it does.

We disagree. You either live life as you say you will or you justify why you mislead yourself. That type of intellectual dishonesty is hypocrisy.

We disagree. You either live life as you say you will or you justify why you mislead yourself. That type of intellectual dishonesty is hypocrisy.

One of the best ways to feel empowered when you get distracted by the apparent hypocrisy of everyone else to not be a hypocrite yourself.

That's what you have the most control over.

I really don't understand what frustrates you so much. What gives you peace as an atheist?

Hister

That statement about karma being something that goes with you into the next life came from a Buddhist teaching I attended. We aren't told we have to believe anything as gospel.
We are offered teachings and enjoined to try them out and see what fits. It's not as though someone makes up the answers. The answers from the teachers generally come from years of study and experience in meditation.

We talk about karma alot and we ask many questions about it. The teachings are presented as a dialogue and we debate various points.

Last edited:
One of the best ways to feel empowered when you get distracted by the apparent hypocrisy of everyone else to not be a hypocrite yourself.

That's what you have the most control over

I really don't understand what frustrates you so much. What gives you peace as an atheist?.

I'm not the one claiming to know the "truth" am I. I don't claim people are delusional because their truth is not the one I have accepted.

And I certainly would not deign to believe that I have the right to define truth for others. The truth of your existence is yours to define and is as unique as your DNA.

Last edited:
I'm not the one claiming to know the "truth" am I. I don't claim people are delusional because their truth is not the one I have accepted.

And I certainly would not deign to believe that I have the right to define truth for others. The truth of your existence is yours to define and is as unique as your DNA.

The teaching is the Four Noble Truths NOT 'the Truth'.

The truth of suffering.

The truth of the causes of suffering.

The truth of the cessation of suffering.

The truth of the path that leads to the cessaton of suffering.

I agree with you that experience leads people to their own truth. My experience led me to find comfort in the teachings of the Four Noble Truths and Buddhist meditation. These aren't intellectual concepts. They are teachings that are meant to be contemplated and meditated on.

Last edited:
The teaching is the Four Noble Truths NOT 'the Truth'.

The truth of suffering.

The truth of the causes of suffering.

The truth of the cessation of suffering.

The truth of the path that leads to the cessaton of suffering.

I agree with you that experience leads people to their own truth. My experience led me to find comfort in the teachings of the Four Noble Truths.

Here's the fifth noble truth.

Faithful sheep are led to slaughter.

Here's the fifth noble truth.

Faithful sheep are led to slaughter.

Cute. There are no Buddhist sheep. We accept nothing on blind faith.

For example, my faith or confidence in Buddhist mediation has arisen out of my experience. I tried meditation and found it has a positive effect on my mind and heart.

Science backs up the claim that meditation affects the brain and lowers stress levels.

Buddhist meditation is a training. It is empirical. You have to experiment and try it to see if it works. It's obviously not for you. Be at peace with that.

Last edited:
Cute. There are no Buddhist sheep. We accept nothing on blind faith.

For example, my faith or confidence in Buddhist mediation has arisen out of my experience. I tried meditation and found it has a positive effect on my mind and heart.

Science backs up the claim that meditation affects the brain and lowers stress levels.

Buddhist meditation is a training. It is empirical. You have to experiment and try it to see if it works. It's obviously not for you. Be at peace with that.

But you accept that life is suffering and that those who believe it is not are delusional.

I call that blind faith. The very fact that you can call someone delusional simply because they do not accept your "truth" or as you say "Noble Truth" and that you can still claim you take nothing on blind faith demonstrates a schism between your beliefs and your actions.

I never mentioned meditation did I. And i do not think Buddhists have the patent on any type of meditation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back