Ask a Buddhist

I just thought it would be fun for me to stay on a topic that I actually know something about. I've been attending Buddhist retreats since the early 1980's.

Any questions about Buddhism? If I don't know the answer I'll tell you I don't.

What are the major philosophical schisms in Buddhism?

How did they happen?

Which do you think is the more enlightened school of thought?

If reality is but an illusion, then what is having those illusions?

If becoming enlightened means the end of ego, then how is that different than death?

Finally, if I meet the Buddha on the road, do I really have to kill him, or can I just give him a firm talking to, and send him on his way?

I just thought it would be fun for me to stay on a topic that I actually know something about. I've been attending Buddhist retreats since the early 1980's.

What are the major philosophical schisms in Buddhism?

How did they happen?

Which do you think is the more enlightened school of thought?

If reality is but an illusion, then what is having those illusions?

If becoming enlightened means the end of ego, then how is that different than death?

Finally, if I meet the Buddha on the road, do I really have to kill him, or can I just give him a firm talking to, and send him on his way?

Wow. A whole post full of questions. Most of which I can't answer.

I haven't studied Buddhist philosophy in a scholarly way. It would take a Khenpo to answer your questions about the major philosophical schisms in Buddhist thought. There are topics that I am qualified to speak on and topics I am not. This is a topic I am not qualified to address.

There have been times in the past where sectarianism arose in Buddhism in Tibet. I cannot give you the history of all the ins and out of that beause I don't know them. What I can tell you, is that we are enjoined to not criticise other branches of Buddhism.

I can't answer your question about enlightenment either. I don't know that I would characterize enlightenment as the end of ego. I know highly realized masters of awareness and they all have egos.

There is a phenomena in deep retreat of ego death. I cannot speak from experience here either.

If you want to know how I work with my unruly emotions with Buddhist meditation I can answer that.

There are some wonderful Western Buddhist Nuns that I've met and studied with. Pema Chodron and Thubten Chodron are two of them.

I know a number of Tibetan nuns who have high meditative realization. These nuns are masters of meditation.

I got one:

What tenets, beliefs, principles, 'scriptures', whatever from Buddhism can people in positions of power pervert to justify violence and brutality on other Buddhists, other faiths, or non-believers?

Thank you.

I got one:

What tenets, beliefs, principles, 'scriptures', whatever from Buddhism can people in positions of power pervert to justify violence and brutality on other Buddhists, other faiths, or non-believers?

Thank you.

I can't think of any tenets. beliefs, principles or Buddhist scriptures that people in power would use to jusitfy violence and brutality on other Buddhists, non-believers or other faiths. There is a potential for misunderstanding and misconduct in the Tibetan Buddhist practice of Guru Yoga. There have been some scandals involving a few Buddhist teachers in America.

There is a current problem with Buddhists in Sri Lanka. It is tied in with tribal issues. Buddhist monks are involved and it is wrong. Nothing in the Buddha's teachings would support that.

There can be a problem with sectarian conflicts. Some of the issues are centuries old.

Last edited:
Hi Sky, is it possible to be a Buhddist and also have another faith simultaneously? Does practicing Buddhism preclude you from a faith or belief in God?

Hi Sky, is it possible to be a Buhddist and also have another faith simultaneously? Does practicing Buddhism preclude you from a faith or belief in God?

There are people who practice Buddhist meditation and still consider themselves Jews or Christians or other religions.

I met a Catholic priest who wanted to take bodhisattva vows. The Lama asked him if he had permission to do so from his Church. The priest assured the Lama that it would be ok.

So my answer is yes, and no respectively. Practicing Buddhism does not preclude you from a faith or belief in God per se. That is if you're still holding to your original religious identity.

Generally, Buddhists do not believe in a Creator God. You can practice Buddhist meditation and not consider yourself a Buddhist. When you take refuge vows, you become a Buddhist.

Last edited:
The 'Fat Buddha', a frequent figure in Chinese restaurants, is a Taoist wealth deity named Hotei, one of the Seven Taoist Deities.

Last edited:
Before enlightenment chop wood and carry water

After enlightenment chop wood and carry water.

Shit if nothing changes after enlightenment, I'll skip the hours of meditation and have a beer.

I am more of a fan of the spirit or vision quest where one finds his own way rather than doing what some iconic figure tells him to do.

Last edited:
What if they gave a war, and only Buddhists came?

They would like totally miss the point, ya know?

Why are Buddhists such buzz kills when it comes to killing people?

Are they all on Buddhist drugs that make other people seem less annoying or something?

And if they are taking drugs that make other seem people less annoying, where can I get some? No wait.. where can I get a lot of them?

And finally, once I'm on these Buddha drugs and all peaceful and enlightened and shit, do I have to wear orange sheets and shave my head, or can I just wear jeans and maybe a teeshirt?

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Is the sex truly better?

Yes. The sex is better. Mindfulness of the body has it's benefits. Try making love after being at a meditaion retreat. It's quite wonderful.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back