As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

Richmond on edge ahead of pro-gun rally at Virginia Capitol
Jan. 19, 202001:40
Jan. 19, 2020, 6:07 AM PST
By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

I believe cool heads will prevail and there will be NO violence from the Right. From the Left, that's another thing altogether. The Antifa bastards MAY be there to stir up trouble against those on the Right. I believe they won't even show because they know they will be severely outnumbered and they are too cowardly to fight unless THEY have the numbers. So I truly believe there will be little to no violence. Which would be very appropriate on the day that we honor the great MLK. Let's hope for a peaceful day.

I believe cool heads will prevail and there will be NO violence from the Right. From the Left, that's another thing altogether. The Antifa bastards MAY be there to stir up trouble against those on the Right. I believe they won't even show because they know they will be severely outnumbered and they are too cowardly to fight unless THEY have the numbers. So I truly believe there will be little to no violence. Which would be very appropriate on the day that we honor the great MLK. Let's hope for a peaceful day.
Agreed, thank you.

Agreed, thank you.
You're welcome.

I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.

By Ben Kesslen

If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.
Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.

By Ben Kesslen

I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.

Last edited:
A well regulated militia would cause no problems. An unregulated militia is a clear and present danger that would justify immediate suppression.
We shall see...

It is not a problem until somebody makes it a problem.

RNC/WEST OHIO MINUTEMEN 2016 OPEN CARRY Cleveland, OH

Guns don’t have ‘rights’ – people do.

And the firearm regulatory measures proposed in no manner violate the rights of the people under the Second Amendment, however unwarranted, unwise, and ineffective those measures might be.

The ‘rally’ is yet another example of rightwing dishonesty, demagoguery, and lies.

By Ben Kesslen

Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.
You can’t change the bill of rights lol you moron

And the firearm regulatory measures proposed in no manner violate the rights of the people under the Second Amendment, however unwarranted, unwise, and ineffective those measures might be.

The ‘rally’ is yet another example of rightwing dishonesty, demagoguery, and lies.
You don’t think anyone under the age of 18 should hunt? lol or protect them selves in Rural Virginia?

By Ben Kesslen

I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.
What occurred are lies propagated by rightwing demagogues that measures were being proposed to authorize the ‘confiscation’ of AR 15s, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

What is in a name we should ask ourselves? Al-Quaida means the Base. The Base is the name a would-be domestic right-wing terrorist group has given itself. The Base seeks to overthrow our government by violence just like Al-Quaida. Islamic extremists and right-wing extremists, same aim and same desires. Death and destruction.

Kudos to law enforcement in arresting members of The Base and keeping the public safe.

Last edited:
This thing has the potential to be a powder keg but hopefully won’t be. From what I’ve seen in the videos of how they’re setting up the fences and such it appears the unarmed protestors will be on the steps of the Capitol building. That area will be totally safe and have no issues whatsoever

The area to be concerned about is the space outside those chain link fences. That will be the Wild West, with armed citizens, militias, anti-gun groups, etc... If anything happens it will be there.

I truly hope that all the groups out in thst Wild West area use common sense and better judgement because all it will take is one mistake by somebody for this to turn into a bloodbath very quickly.

Normally I’d be far less concerned about my fellow gun owners, self-defense proponents and militia/survivalist friends but with the rhetoric and Bolivia toon that has come from inside the Capital, I’m concerned that emotions are already running too high.

I truly hope this thing goes peacefully, but the chance for it not to is probably 50/50 in my opinion.

The article doesn't say "gun's rights" it says "gun rights"

I if said "my gun rights" you wouldn't understand that the word "gun" is being used as an adjective to describe the type of my rights to which I'm referring?

BA4AB3FC-2E59-4358-A34B-3A4B74FADA7F.jpeg

Forum List

Back