As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

Richmond on edge ahead of pro-gun rally at Virginia Capitol
Jan. 19, 202001:40
Jan. 19, 2020, 6:07 AM PST
By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville
If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.
Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.
Unconstitutional laws.

I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.
Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.
Unconstitutional laws.
These laws will be tested in Court, as they should be, and not by wannabe right-wing terrorist militias advocating violence.

By Ben Kesslen

By another Charlottesville, you mean you worry the Dems will order the cops to stand down and the Lefty brownshirts, will attack and start a riot?

I agree that that is always a reasonable fear. That is why dems should never be elected to anything.

Would you support Trump putting fed troops there to ensure order?

I still don’t see which of Virginia’s gun laws anyone would object to

By Ben Kesslen

By another Charlottesville, you mean you worry the Dems will order the cops to stand down and the Lefty brownshirts, will attack and start a riot?

I agree that that is always a reasonable fear. That is why dems should never be elected to anything.

More alternate history from Trumplicans. It was a right-wing extremist that killed an innocent girl.

By Ben Kesslen

Northam should renounce armed police protection for him and his family

if citizens dont need guns neither does he

By Ben Kesslen

More alternate history from Trumplicans. It was a right-wing extremist that killed an innocent girl.

She would be alive today, if the cops had not been ordered to stand down, so the massively outnumbered white supremacists could be attacked by the far left street thugs.

YOu start a riot, you choose to get people hurt.

By Ben Kesslen

She would be alive today, if the cops had not been ordered to stand down, so the massively outnumbered white supremacists could be attacked by the far left street thugs.

‘Far left thugs”?? She was walking with friends in a peaceful counter-protest when the right-wing murderer drove into a crowd killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

You seek to place blame on this terrorist action on everyone but the murderer himself.

By Ben Kesslen

‘Far left thugs”?? She was walking with friends in a peaceful counter-protest when the right-wing murderer drove into a crowd killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

You seek to place blame on this terrorist action on everyone but the murderer himself.
I’m sorry she died

but there was violence on both sides

By Ben Kesslen

THe local dems ordered the cops to stand down, and Antifa attacked starting a riot.

If you choose to start a riot, expect people to get hurt. NOt sure what part of this you are having a problem with.

I did not want that riot to happen. I don't want one to happen at the next event. DO you?

By Ben Kesslen

Unconstitutional laws.
These laws will be tested in Court, as they should be, and not by wannabe right-wing terrorist militias advocating violence.

The only ones who want violence, you dumb ass, is the democrats.......

By Ben Kesslen

The guy who hit the girl with a car wasn't right wing you doofus.......he was a left wing sociallist..

By Ben Kesslen

Northam should renounce armed police protection for him and his family

if citizens dont need guns neither does he
Politicians receive threats all the time. Do you have that problem? In any case, no one is asking for your guns.

By Ben Kesslen

Boy....you are a really stupid individual.

By Ben Kesslen

Unconstitutional laws.

The only ones who want violence, you dumb ass, is the democrats.......
The Democrats aren`t the ones parading around the streets playing Wyatt Earp.

By Ben Kesslen

I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.

The democrats think they have a way to push their gun control agenda.....create violence at a rally that has been peaceful for decades.....push and push the idea that these gun owners are violent, pen them in, encourage extremists who aren't part of this group to show up.....and the democrats hope and pray (to their god, government) that someone will start violence.

American gun owners are extremely law abiding so the democrats have to create the violence...just like they create the racism hoaxes around the country on college campuses...

By Ben Kesslen

Boy....you are a really stupid individual.

If ad hominem attacks is all you have, chalk up another win for Johnlaw!

Forum List

Back