As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

Richmond on edge ahead of pro-gun rally at Virginia Capitol
Jan. 19, 202001:40
Jan. 19, 2020, 6:07 AM PST
By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville
If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.
I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.
They should cancel the rally if violence of any kind is suspected. Then a more regulated agreed upon rally, with non-violent recognized leaders of the groups attending should be allowed to organize with guarantees given. This garantee should be agreed upon by all leaders and officials involved.
Well for a lot of people, the mere presence of a weapon causes the suspicion and fear of immiment violence.
True, but the weapons should work to control the tendency for violence (a deterrent), unless the whole situation had been staged or allowed in order to create the violence as is desired by whomever it is that desires it (failure of governor leadership). Always remember that the buck stops with those who allow the event and situation to take place to begin with, and especially without proper safety measures involved, and guarantees by all groups participating given, and proper safe site designation to be set up for the event.

The gun rights advocates turned out to be a bunch of pussies

Women marching in vagina hats made a bigger impact

So you wanted violence eh ? You ought not want such a thing, but your desperation is showing now.

I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.
Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.
How'd that work out for you? Are you disappointed?

22,000 people, huge number armed with guns.........and not one gun crime....not one gun murder........

The left wing, anti-gun extremists have nothing to argue from in their imagination and fear about guns..............

22,000 people with left wing democrats praying to their god, Government, that gun owners would start killing people .............. and give them the excuse they need to ban guns...

And not one gun crime happened......

By Ben Kesslen

They should.

Blob supporters crave violence. Hopefully the cops are ready and Wal*Mart will not sell tiki torches.
Every single day, brave men and women risk their lives overseas fighting a war that these gun loving cowards should do also. It makes no sense to see young healthy white boys of age rallying in the streets championing gun rights when our military could use them.....take your guns, your love for violence and damit fight for your fuckin country else shut the fuck up and go home

22,000 people, huge number armed with guns.........and not one gun crime....not one gun murder........

The left wing, anti-gun extremists have nothing to argue from in their imagination and fear about guns..............

22,000 people with left wing democrats praying to their god, Government, that gun owners would start killing people .............. and give them the excuse they need to ban guns...

And not one gun crime happened......
DO YOU KNOW WHAT OUR MILITARY COULD DO WITH 22 THOUSAND YOUNG STRONG HEALTHY GUN LOVING MORON'S?

By Ben Kesslen

Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.
You can’t change the bill of rights lol you moron
You think militias can not be regulated?

By Ben Kesslen

You can’t change the bill of rights lol you moron
You think militias can not be regulated?
Do you know what that means?

6AD91041-2C30-4D32-8A15-9080CECB3285.jpeg

By Ben Kesslen

By another Charlottesville, you mean you worry the Dems will order the cops to stand down and the Lefty brownshirts, will attack and start a riot?

I agree that that is always a reasonable fear. That is why dems should never be elected to anything.

Would you support Trump putting fed troops there to ensure order?

More alternate history from Trumplicans. It was a right-wing extremist that killed an innocent girl.

She would be alive today, if the cops had not been ordered to stand down, so the massively outnumbered white supremacists could be attacked by the far left street thugs.

YOu start a riot, you choose to get people hurt.

‘Far left thugs”?? She was walking with friends in a peaceful counter-protest when the right-wing murderer drove into a crowd killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

You seek to place blame on this terrorist action on everyone but the murderer himself.
I’m sorry she died

but there was violence on both sides
You sound like Trump defending Nazis

By Ben Kesslen

I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.
They should cancel the rally if violence of any kind is suspected. Then a more regulated agreed upon rally, with non-violent recognized leaders of the groups attending should be allowed to organize with guarantees given. This garantee should be agreed upon by all leaders and officials involved.
Well for a lot of people, the mere presence of a weapon causes the suspicion and fear of immiment violence.
Yea...weapons are like that

By Ben Kesslen

BREAKING: 23 killed at Virginia white supremacist gun-rights protest, dozens injured
GENESIUS TIMES: Exavier Saskagoochie

Ralph Northam has issued a statement condemning the senseless violence and the gun rights activists. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those innocent victims today. We must do everything we can to end the mass killing of innocents!”

UPDATE: We are being told that the killings didn’t happen at the rally but nearby at an undisclosed location.

UPDATE: The location of the killings was 201 N Hamilton Street, Richmond, VA. It’s uncertain if this location was associated with the gun rights rally. Apparently there were no fatalities at the actual gun rally despite many people openly carrying weapons of war.

UPDATE: There were several African American white supremacists at the gun rights rally in Richmond. This is troubling.

gun-rights-rally.jpg

UPDATE: We’ve confirmed that absolutely no one was hurt at the racist gun rights rally but that 23 people were killed at the Hamilton Street location in what appears to be a mass killing, the majority of the victims were African Americans who were not carrying guns.

UPDATE: Nevermind. The “killings” were abortions at the Richmond Planned Parenthood, so it’s okay. Totally not a problem. Nothing to see here. Please keep attacking the crazy gun rights people!

UPDATE: Governor Northam has retracted his thoughts and prayers.

BREAKING: 23 killed at Virginia white supremacist gun-rights protest, dozens injured

By Ben Kesslen

They should.

Blob supporters crave violence. Hopefully the cops are ready and Wal*Mart will not sell tiki torches.
Every single day, brave men and women risk their lives overseas fighting a war that these gun loving cowards should do also. It makes no sense to see young healthy white boys of age rallying in the streets championing gun rights when our military could use them.....take your guns, your love for violence and damit fight for your fuckin country else shut the fuck up and go home
Yeah, you wish you could bait all the young white boys (as you put it), into going to war while the black boys stay here in order to tip the balance into your racial make up favor eh ?......Would work perfect if those young white boy's never returned from your war in which you wish for them eh ?

If I'm the police, I would be much more concerned when Antifa takes to the streets than I would be with this rally.
They were doing their best trying to rile people up today. Being loud, obnoxious and taunting, yet the pro 2nd didn’t take the bait.

That's an interesting perspective. Have you ever shown up to protest an infringement upon any of your rights knowing that the event was being videotaped and was peppered with undercover operatives some of whom are photographing you and entering you into a government database?

People showing up and taking a stand nonetheless, knowing all this and knowing that there could be others present whose only intent is to trigger a violent event where they could be jailed, hurt or killed is not "being a pussy".

By another Charlottesville, you mean you worry the Dems will order the cops to stand down and the Lefty brownshirts, will attack and start a riot?

I agree that that is always a reasonable fear. That is why dems should never be elected to anything.

Would you support Trump putting fed troops there to ensure order?

More alternate history from Trumplicans. It was a right-wing extremist that killed an innocent girl.

She would be alive today, if the cops had not been ordered to stand down, so the massively outnumbered white supremacists could be attacked by the far left street thugs.

YOu start a riot, you choose to get people hurt.

‘Far left thugs”?? She was walking with friends in a peaceful counter-protest when the right-wing murderer drove into a crowd killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

You seek to place blame on this terrorist action on everyone but the murderer himself.
I’m sorry she died

but there was violence on both sides
You sound like Trump defending Nazis
Something trump never did

sometimes I think the trump haters have to make up stuff just to feed their TDS

Forum List

Back