Artificial Intelligence

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.
No. Artificial Intelligence is just a set of scripts which are applied to specific, pre-defined situations. If an AI comes across a situation, it doesn´t know, it crashes, asks the program what to do or ignores it.

Last edited:
Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.
No. Artificial Intelligence is just a set of scripts which are applied to specific, pre-defined situations. If an AI comes across a situation, it doesn´t know, it crashes, asks the program what to do or ignores it.

What you describe is not artificial intelligence.

Yes, it is. Ask a AI programmer, if you don´t believe me.

Read the OP.

Read the OP.
The topic is dropped. What are you talking about is thinking like a human being. That implies consciousness, a mind.

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait?
Human intelligence requires a brain. Artificial intelligence requires a computer.

What about "intelligence" as a concept in and of itself?

Could artificial intelligence come up with (explicitly cognise) the concept of 'artificial intelligence'?

Sounds like a never ending philosophical mobius strip.

Natural intelligence has been the only option, so far, in our history.

Read the OP.
The topic is dropped. What are you talking about is thinking like a human being. That implies consciousness, a mind.

Did you read the OP?

Well, emotion is a weakness. ..

You really think so? I don't. Our baser responses may stem from emotion, but so do our most noble qualities.

When two entities with artificial intelligence (AI) are locked in a struggle for survival, if your artificial intelligence design takes into consideration emotions then that can complicate things. You do not want your AI to stop in the middle and offer a lending hand when the objective is to destroy the opponent AI. This will be detrimental to the objective. However, if your AI is doing strictly what it has been designed to do then it is not really an intelligent entity. This is why it becomes a philosophical question because as soon as you introduce human like emotions into the design, you are compromising on pure intelligence. At the same time, without the emotions and calculated unpredictability (not talking about design flaw), you do not really have intelligence that can be compared to a human brain; therefore it cannot be considered intelligent entity at all.

That raises and important question. Is higher intelligence possible without emotion, and vice versa?

Emotions are one of the many aspects of the brain that makes it extremely complex. It is the emotions which will distinguish artificial intelligence from a human intelligence. A true intelligence is not possible without its ability to undertake unpredictable actions which we call emotions. When a not so good student pushes himself to do well academically, he is basically charting in a territory which is unpredictable and is driven by an emotion called pride.

Human brain is a product of random events. You cannot design a human brain because design by its nature is limited to its stated specifications and therefore cannot truly produce an intelligent entity like human brain.

Emotions are one of the many aspects of the brain that makes it extremely complex. It is the emotions which will distinguish artificial intelligence from a human intelligence. A true intelligence is not possible without its ability to undertake unpredictable actions which we call emotions. When a not so good student pushes himself to do well academically, he is basically charting in a territory which is unpredictable and is driven by emotion called pride.

Human brain is a product of random events. You cannot design a human brain because design by its nature is limited to its stated specifications and therefore cannot truly produce an intelligent entity like human brain.

You sure? Someone already did.

Emotions are one of the many aspects of the brain that makes it extremely complex. It is the emotions which will distinguish artificial intelligence from a human intelligence. A true intelligence is not possible without its ability to undertake unpredictable actions which we call emotions. When a not so good student pushes himself to do well academically, he is basically charting in a territory which is unpredictable and is driven by emotion called pride.

You sure? Someone already did.

There is nothing for sure in this world.

Too difficult for you to read? Understandable. Maybe you should find something simpler to talk about.

Artificial intelligence already exists. Or are we actually talking about artificial consciousness? That's more subtle, but I think it's inevitable.

Forum List

Back