Army to Seek Death Penalty in Afghan Massacre

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W

What do people think about the US Army seeking the death penality for a US soldier? My cursory research shows that the last time a US service member was executed was in the 1950s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_by_the_United_States_military

Army to Seek Death Penalty in Afghan Massacre

Afghanistan Village Massacre: Army Will Seek Death Penalty For Soldier Accused Of Killing 16 Villagers

SEATTLE -- The U.S. Army said Wednesday it will seek the death penalty against the soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers in a predawn rampage in March, a decision his lawyer called "totally irresponsible."

The announcement followed a pretrial hearing last month for Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 39, who faces premeditated murder and other charges in the attack on two villages in southern Afghanistan.

The slayings drew such angry protests that the U.S. temporarily halted combat operations in Afghanistan, and it was three weeks before American investigators could reach the crime scenes.

Prosecutors said Bales left his remote southern Afghanistan base early on March 11, attacked one village and returned to the base, then slipped away again to attack another nearby compound. Of the 16 people killed, nine were children.

No date has been set for Bales' court martial, which will be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle.

I think he should be given a Distinguished Service Cross, promoted to 1st Lieutenant, and given a Honorable Discharge.

[If they can't even bring the raghead slimebag Hasan to trial, how are they gonna do it with this guy? Oh yeah! He isn't Muslim is he?]

i'm never for the death penalty - however 16 people murdered, nine of them children while wearing a uniform...

there isn't a hole deep and dark enough

Forum List

Back