Army 'on standby' to handle food and medicines shortages in event of 'no deal' Brexit

They were throwing it away at one stage, because the poor cows were over producing, due to EU quotas.

And not to forget, the butter mountain.
Quotas were implemented because of overproduction throughout Europe, in order to keep farms viable and prices stable. When things settled, the "butter mountains" and "milk lakes" were sold off in the main, with some remaining stockpiled in case of future underproduction. The system wasn't perfect but it worked.

Quotas were implemented because of overproduction throughout Europe, in order to keep farms viable and prices stable. When things settled, the "butter mountains" and "milk lakes" were sold off in the main, with some remaining stockpiled in case of future underproduction. The system wasn't perfect but it worked.

Many smaller European farmers have gone out of business because of “quotas”. And many smaller client states bitterly regret joining the whole edifice in the first place.

Perhaps. But none of this would have happened without this farce of "Brexit".
Well, I agree that the Brexit campaign was built mostly on false premises. But at the same time, I have a feeling that Brexit is a right thing in the long run. Too big federations (and the EU is heading in this way) become too bureaucratic and ineffective, where the central government is too far away and remote areas feel themselves abandoned.

I can't see any reason why Britain can't be prosperous staying outside the EU.

Well, I agree that the Brexit campaign was built mostly on false premises. But at the same time, I have a feeling that Brexit is a right thing in the long run. Too big federations (and the EU is heading in this way) become too bureaucratic and ineffective, where the central government is too far away and remote areas feel themselves abandoned.

I can't see any reason why Britain can't be prosperous staying outside the EU.
So, if I follow your argument, you would advocate for the break up of the USA?

So, if I follow your argument, you would advocate for the break up of the USA?
Well, that an interesting question and to tell you the truth an expected one. My answer is definitely no. I will try to explain my point.

If you had asked this question say six months ago, I would have answered that I supported the US becoming the Union of virtually independent States. That doesn't mean break-up per se. Now, I am not that sure that this is a good idea.

Comparing the US with the EU isn't right in this regard. National identification isn't the basis of the US in its foundation. Being an American is more about common ideas and the way of life. For Europe, that is about the nationality.

I believe in such a thing as a national mentality. And say the Greeks or Italians or Bulgarians or Poles won't have that level of governance and economy as say the Brits or Dutch or Germans do.

For Europe, as for my opinion as of now, the best way of cooperation would be a free trade area with some form of a free travel area.

Comparing the US with the EU isn't right in this regard. National identification isn't the basis of the US in its foundation. Being an American is more about common ideas and the way of life. For Europe, that is about the nationality.

Europeans, on the contrary, have no common »European-identity«, though Europe is growing together faster and faster. Because of the different languages and cultures, there is no such collective identity. Nobody in Europe would consider himself or herself abroad as a »European«, but rather like a citizen of his or her country.

For example, the Germans and the French especially still see themselves as German and French.

Europeans, on the contrary, have no common »European-identity«, though Europe is growing together faster and faster. Because of the different languages and cultures, there is no such collective identity. Nobody in Europe would consider himself or herself abroad as a »European«, but rather like a citizen of his or her country.

For example, the Germans and the French especially still see themselves as German and French.
Exactly. That is what I tried to explain with my words.

Well, that an interesting question and to tell you the truth an expected one. My answer is definitely no. I will try to explain my point.

If you had asked this question say six months ago, I would have answered that I supported the US becoming the Union of virtually independent States. That doesn't mean break-up per se. Now, I am not that sure that this is a good idea.

I believe in such a thing as a national mentality. And say the Greeks or Italians or Bulgarians or Poles won't have that level of governance and economy as say the Brits or Dutch or Germans do.

For Europe, as for my opinion as of now, the best way of cooperation would be a free trade area with some form of a free travel area.
So you are saying Mexican (Latino) Americans, Black (African) Americans, White (Dutch, German, English, Irish, etc) Americans, Native Americans, etc don't have their own cultural/national identities; they've all subsumed these into something that's uniformly "American"? If that's the case, I see no reason for Germans French, etc to subsume their individual cultural/national identities, for something tha is uniformly "European".

Forum List

Back