Army Medical Researchers Want Head-Up Displays for Combat Medic

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
medics-heads-up-display-1200.jpg

Cutting the “Golden Hour” down to minutes. The military catching up to the civilian community for a change?

U.S. Army medical researchers want to equip combat medics with a head-up display so they can connect with surgeons in the rear for help with critically wounded troops on the battlfield.

"What we are working on is the ability to project surgical expertise and medical expertise as far forward as we can ... right out to the medic," Geoffrey Miller, a research scientist at the Army's Medical Research and Materiel Command, told Military.com on April 25 at a Pentagon technology demonstration.

The effort is designed to use augmented reality to guide a medic to perform advanced procedures such as trauma surgery on wounded personnel who can't wait for a medevac, Miller said.

Much more @ Army Medical Researchers Want Head-Up Displays for Combat Medics

Do they really envision Army Medics performing complicated surgeries instead of stabilizing the patient until he can be transported to facilities with actual med school graduates? Maybe the Army should work on efficient evacuation techniques.

Do they really envision Army Medics performing complicated surgeries instead of stabilizing the patient until he can be transported to facilities with actual med school graduates? Maybe the Army should work on efficient evacuation techniques.

It's the same thing as an EMT being in contact with a trauma doctor at a hospital. It saves lives.

You didn't read the OP.

The effort is designed to use augmented reality to guide a medic to perform advanced procedures such as trauma surgery on wounded personnel who can't wait for a medevac, Miller said.

You didn't read the OP.

Isn't it amazing how many jump in without reading the OP or checking out the links?

You didn't read the OP.

That's my point. There is no "rear" in modern military conflicts. God help us when the Military decides to go with "augmented reality" by Medics rather than increasing the effectiveness of medivacs. I love and respect civilian EMT's but I sure wouldn't trust them to perform surgery with virtual reality glasses.

You didn't read the OP.

That's my point. There is no "rear" in modern military conflicts. God help us when the Military decides to go with "augmented reality" by Medics rather than increasing the effectiveness of medivacs. I love and respect civilian EMT's but I sure wouldn't trust them to perform surgery with virtual reality glasses.

So what is you solution? I think you are confused as to what these displays do.

You didn't read the OP.

Better trained Medics with the goal of stabilizing trauma rather than using unverified unstable video cyber tools to try to become surgeons. The concept is ludicrous.

You didn't read the OP.

Better trained Medics with the goal of stabilizing trauma rather than using unverified unstable video cyber tools to try to become surgeons. The concept is ludicrous.

I remember hearing stuff like ths several decades ago when Special Forces medics became so skilled they were considered above RNs and just a step below MDs. It created the paramedic program followed by Physician Assistants.

Indications are that the Army didn't have the willingness or the statistical ability to assign Medics with special ability to Special Forces. Legend might have it but it just didn't happen that way. The Army used the same courageous Medics in Special Forces as any other combat units. The mission of the Medics was always to stabilize traumatic wounds long enough for evacuation. Video glasses might have the opposite effect that is intended where they would encourage some medics to engage in surgical procedures that they are not trained for or qualified to do while evacuation is delayed.

You didn't read the OP.

What makes you think these medics aren't trained? Do you want us to start hiring doctors for every platoon? Wouldn't that be expensive and difficult to pull off?

Indications are that the Army didn't have the willingness or the statistical ability to assign Medics with special ability to Special Forces. Legend might have it but it just didn't happen that way. The Army used the same courageous Medics in Special Forces as any other combat units. The mission of the Medics was always to stabilize traumatic wounds long enough for evacuation. Video glasses might have the opposite effect that is intended where they would encourage some medics to engage in surgical procedures that they are not trained for or qualified to do while evacuation is delayed.

If the wounded soldier dies because they could not be medevaced anyway, what is the harm?

Navy Corpsmen are also a cut above the rest, considering that most ships do not have doctors, which are usually embarked in larger ships or on squadron staffs. Imagine being a corpsman on a submarine!

medics-heads-up-display-1200.jpg

Cutting the “Golden Hour” down to minutes. The military catching up to the civilian community for a change?

U.S. Army medical researchers want to equip combat medics with a head-up display so they can connect with surgeons in the rear for help with critically wounded troops on the battlfield.

"What we are working on is the ability to project surgical expertise and medical expertise as far forward as we can ... right out to the medic," Geoffrey Miller, a research scientist at the Army's Medical Research and Materiel Command, told Military.com on April 25 at a Pentagon technology demonstration.

Much more @ Army Medical Researchers Want Head-Up Displays for Combat Medics
The Military gets great advanced tech, the problem when I was in is the time it took for development and field testing to wide implementation. By the end of the process the tech was out of date.

Forum List

Back