Are You Ready? 3G to be Retired

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
The 3G systems we've used for the last twenty years is being retired at the end of 2022. Not just cell phones but a whole array of products use/used 3G. Not just cell phones could be affected everything from vehicle alarm/tracking to home security communication systems and some medical devices. Granted these days most of the systems that used to run on 3G now run on 4G or 5G but there's a lot of older tech still relying on 3G.

3G shutdown is underway: Check your devices now for safety's sake | ZDNet

3G is shutting down and some of your most essential tech may soon become unusable.

What steered the evolution of how we use, interact, and communicate with technology 20 years ago will officially retire by the end of 2022, with major US carriers repurposing their satellites over the course of the year. In its place: 5G, the next-generation network that promises considerably faster speeds than 4G LTE and a more unified system for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT) expansion.

So, what does this all mean for older hardware like cellphones, alarms, and GPS systems that thrive on the 3G spectrum? To put it bluntly, many of the network-driven features will become obsolete, presenting some unforeseen dangers. Fortunately, there are steps that you and your loved ones can take to safely transition from aging to future-proof tech. In some cases, manufacturers may even be able to give your older gadgets new life through software upgrades.

Here is everything you need to know about the "3G sunset", how it will affect the technology that you use, and what you can do to stay afloat in the ever-changing landscape.

Last edited:
The 3G systems we've used for the last twenty years is being retired at the end of 2022. Not just cell phones but a whole array of products use/used 3G. Not just cell phones could be affected everything from vehicle alarm/tracking to home security communication systems and some medical devices. Granted these days most of the systems that used to run on 3G now run on 4G or 5G but there's a lot of older tech still relying on 3G.

Verizon sent me a letter saying my Apple 5C will be history. I am a simple creature. I talk, text, take a few pictures, blue tooth to a Bose out by the pool and leave it electronically trackable on "find my Iphone" when I am in the back country, so family doesn't worry about me when out of contact, so at least they can see where I've been if I ever really screw up. But OK. I'll buy another Iphone, unless they make it a subscription thing, for real. In that case I will learn to deal with what would be my first android phone.

Verizon sent me a letter saying my Apple 5C will be history. I am a simple creature. I talk, text, take a few pictures, blue tooth to a Bose out by the pool and leave it electronically trackable on "find my Iphone" when I am in the back country, so family doesn't worry about me when out of contact, so at least they can see where I've been if I ever really screw up. But OK. I'll buy another Iphone, unless they make it a subscription thing, for real. In that case I will learn to deal with what would be my first android phone.
I started with Android phones and finally moved to an iPhone a few years ago, the XR model. I'm like you with cell phones, my usage is limited. The XRs are only 4G compatible so it you want to get ahead of 4G you'll need an iPhone 12 or 13 models, the 4G retirement is expected sometime after 2030. So if you're not worried about having 5G the XR models are highly rated and the 64GB models run between $200 and $300.

I started with Android phones and finally moved to an iPhone a few years ago, the XR model. I'm like you with cell phones, my usage is limited. The XRs are only 4G compatible so it you want to get ahead of 4G you'll need an iPhone 12 or 13 models, the 4G retirement is expected sometime after 2030. So if you're not worried about having 5G the XR models are highly rated and the 64GB models run between $200 and $300.
When I upgrade this year, I will go with the latest greatest with an Otterbox or better waterproof case, take care of it, and it very well could be the last I will need, as I have never damaged one, and 5G will surely outlast me. I do not change just to have something new. That is why I still have a 5c I got when it came out and my old flip phone gave up the ghost, that you can't even get a new case for at stores or even flea markets. The 5C was the latest greatest way back then.

When I upgrade this year, I will go with the latest greatest with an Otterbox or better waterproof case, take care of it, and it very well could be the last I will need, as I have never damaged one, and 5G will surely outlast me. I do not change just to have something new. That is why I still have a 5c I got when it came out and my old flip phone gave up the ghost, that you can't even get a new case for at stores or even flea markets. The 5C was the latest greatest way back then.
The iPhone 13 Pro Max is the latest and greatest iPhone and typically goes for $1100. The Samsung Galaxy s22 Ultra is even more expensive and not as well rated.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max is the latest and greatest iPhone and typically goes for $1100. The Samsung Galaxy s22 Ultra is even more expensive and not as well rated.
Probably be the 13, as I do not like the larger size of the 13 Pro Max.

Probably be the 13, as I do not like the larger size of the 13 Pro Max.
Where as with me I like the bigger ones. It 'd be great if we did here what they do in Europe, combine tablets with phones, tablet in a satchel, bluetooth in the ear.

Where as with me I like the bigger ones. It 'd be great if we did here what they do in Europe, combine tablets with phones, tablet in a satchel, bluetooth in the ear.
I carry mine in pockets. The bigger the phone, the easier to break. All three of my kids have had the bigger ones and all three of my kids have broken screens or cracked backs. I don't even like the size of the 13 I got my wife for Christmas. I kind of think it is part of the marketing plan to sell more phones, knowing it is harder to protect larger thin flat screen devises.

I carry mine in pockets. The bigger the phone, the easier to break. All three of my kids have had the bigger ones and all three of my kids have broken screens or cracked backs. I don't even like the size of the 13 I got my wife for Christmas. I kind of think it is part of the marketing plan to sell more phones, knowing it is harder to protect larger thin flat screen devises.
I carry mine in my front shirt pocket, it fits side to side but about a third of it sticks up out of the pocket. Never damaged it in or any previous ones I've owned any way.

I carry mine in my front shirt pocket, it fits side to side but about a third of it sticks up out of the pocket. Never damaged it in or any previous ones I've owned any way.
Doubt if either of us treat are stuff like kids.

I am pissed... my iPhone 5c will have to retire.
I noticed Samsung is releasing an update that will make many 3G phones adapt to 4G... but noooo.... not Apple. Oh hell no.
I'll be looking for used iPhone 7.... sure as f*ck not paying $1200 for a freakin phone

Never used 3G, so I won't be moving on to 4G or 5G or whatever else is coming down the factory pipeline. When WEP got cracked that soured my flirtation with wi-fi (and all things similar), while any remaining doubt got staked through the heart when WPA was cracked. Wireless crapola is, was, and likely always will be a bad idea...a security breach waiting to happen.

I have a landline so don't need a pocketphone. When the hucksters was pushing the freebie ObamaPhone in Berzerkeley, it was easy to say no to having BigBro in my pocket. Same for Xbox, Alexa, Google Home and all the other IoT surveillance devices. So unless you believe the 5G towers will fry any brains and damage any chromosomes within range, I don't see this impacting me.

Never used 3G, so I won't be moving on to 4G or 5G or whatever else is coming down the factory pipeline. When WEP got cracked that soured my flirtation with wi-fi (and all things similar), while any remaining doubt got staked through the heart when WPA was cracked. Wireless crapola is, was, and likely always will be a bad idea...a security breach waiting to happen.

I have a landline so don't need a pocketphone. When the hucksters was pushing the freebie ObamaPhone in Berzerkeley, it was easy to say no to having BigBro in my pocket. Same for Xbox, Alexa, Google Home and all the other IoT surveillance devices. So unless you believe the 5G towers will fry any brains and damage any chromosomes within range, I don't see this impacting me.
Guess it doesn't. Ain't having choices great.........

I'd say the only thing better than having choices is making the right ones.
Right for whom? You or someone else........?
Of course I'd say that if it doesn't impact you then why are you even posting in this thread........... Ego?

Right for whom? You or someone else........?
Of course I'd say that if it doesn't impact you then why are you even posting in this thread........... Ego?
Unless your name is Biden, Xi or Putin ya just ain't gonna be making too many choices for anyone but yourself. Well, I guess you could breed up some kiddies, and rule with an iron fist for eighteen years. Why post? To point out that there are choices, even choices you don't want to consider...and I am proof that pulling a Nancy Reagan (Just Say No) is a viable choice.

Unless your name is Biden, Xi or Putin ya just ain't gonna be making too many choices for anyone but yourself. Well, I guess you could breed up some kiddies, and rule with an iron fist for eighteen years. Why post? To point out that there are choices, even choices you don't want to consider...and I am proof that pulling a Nancy Reagan (Just Say No) is a viable choice.
Yeah, kinda what I thought.

Forum List

Back