Are you frugal?

Yes, we are frugal, and that is why our retirement is as rich as it is.

Was just thinking the same thing. We're frugal about some things and extravagant about others. By saving on some things, we can afford to do extravagant things. We love to travel and being frugal helps make that possible.

Washing out and reusing zip lock type bags? No. But we do reuse plastic produce bags from the grocery store. We mostly use reusable fabric bags for groceries but when we get their plastic bags, we use them to line trash cans.

I used to have the coolest little metal frame thing. It was made to hold grocery bags. Very useful.

Well, my dad was cheap, frugal, and selfish. Smart, yes, but not a good father or husband. It doesn't bother me. He did do a lot of things to save money. Mainly rebates from Menards, gathering firewood at a lumberyard, and lots of gardening.

So when we parted I took that ball and ran with it. I do couponing, make my own damned pickles and jams, and garden and forage like a pro. I walk into a forest park and come back with delicious puffball mushrooms, milkweed that's delicious if prepared properly, buckets of black walnuts, bags of burdock roots/leaves/stems, and tasty mulberries and cornelian cherries. Oh, and wild gala apples and rowanberries.

I also do a lot of heirloom gardening, and grow special heriloom tomatoes like 'Black Krim' for canning... to add to delicious pasta and meat dishes. Ever tried a 'Black Krim'? You're missing out, because the flavor is SO good.

yep , I learned from my parents . Dad always had a big garden and I and my brother cut firewood for my them for winters . Mom always had the basement cupboards full of canned foods [store bought] that she got on sale a few cans at a time . W

We're fanatical about credit cards. We pay cash for everything because we refuse to pay interest. This includes cars.

Actually, we use one card for everything because we can track what we're spending, keep track for taxes and pay just one bill every month. I just ordered some things from Amazon and since we use the Amazon Visa, I paid with points didn't pay anything for them. We bought an iPad for $225 the same way.

Works for us.

CONTINUED , --- we grow some heirloom and I've grown some black Russian tomatoes . As far as taste , well , I'm no real connoisseur on flavor , taste buds are shot and I grow the heirlooms for the seed . Also , I grow lots of regular tomatoes and other vegetables plus we mostly cook from scratch rather than use prepared foods . The washing out of freezer bags , yeah , we've done that . Mostly my wife does it , I figure that its ok with me [makes her happy I guess] !!

CREDIT , I don't use it except to maybe make a reservation or to rent a car but I always stipulate that I'll pay cash at checkout or the cars return .

We're fanatical about credit cards. We pay cash for everything because we refuse to pay interest. This includes cars.

Actually, we use one card for everything because we can track what we're spending, keep track for taxes and pay just one bill every month. I just ordered some things from Amazon and since we use the Amazon Visa, I paid with points didn't pay anything for them. We bought an iPad for $225 the same way.

Works for us.

I always knew you were a conservative Luddly.

Works for us.

I just like having money. I like keeping more of my own money. That's not "conservative" any more. Just the opposite from what RWs are now.

If you got a lamp WITH a light bulb in it, and decided you did not want the lamp..would you take the bulb out before getting rid of it?
It wasn't mine to begin with, so, no.

Do you wash out storage freezer bags after they have been used?
I don't use them.

Do you add a bit of water to the empty laundry soap container and swish it around to get all the soap you can before tossing the jug?
Yes.

Do you do the same with dish soap?
Yes.

Do you toss out bar soap if it gets halfway used?
No.

If you see a quarter on the ground...do you pick it up? What if it's a nickel or dime?
Yes.

Do you use coupons when shopping?
Sometimes. I have a value card for the place that I do the grocery shopping at, so I use that.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Works for us.

I just like having money. I like keeping more of my own money. That's not "conservative" any more. Just the opposite from what RWs are now.

Actually, it is, and you are conservative. It isn't easy to admit, but that is ok.

I need to learn to can tomatoes. No clue how to do it.

We don't have credit cards any more. Tore them all up. We pay cash for everything. Been a long long LONG time since I got something brand new in a store. We get all we need at thrift stores and yard sales. Why buy new when someone else already did it, then got rid of it?

Looks like I am going to have oodles of tomatoes this summer. Damn vine is FULL of them. Cherrie tomatos and regular size ones. A LOT of them.

we dry tomatoes , squash , green beans and lots of other stuff . Go to EXCALIBER food dehydrator website and checkout what we bought . I like DRY , you can add to soups , stews , make sauces . We also but bulk and keep it in plastic containers . We but dry potatoes in different forms from flakes to slices , hash browns . We also but bulk brown rice , groats , beans , different grinds of oat meal and flours other than white .

Pismo Beach is spelled differently. I know, because it is about 15 miles south of me. :)

Forum List

Back