Are you frugal?

Pismo beach , think that's on the way to Ventura as you leave L.A . I've been in Ventura a few times , lots of independent motorcycle shops in Ventura. EXCALIBER is the Cadilac [sp] of food dehydrators .

No. Pismo is wayyyyyy further north. From LA is Camarillo, then oxnard, then ventura, then santa barbara....then just pretty countryside until you get to solvang, lompoc, nipomo, arroyo grande, grover beach, PISMO beach, avila beach, then swinging inland on hwy 101 and 15 miles from the coast itself...to atascadero, templeton, paso robles...and on until you get to San Jose, etc.

well thanks , I've been there , Ventura that is . But went through all those places if they are on the Coast hiway or PCH but it was years ago . Anyway , checkout that machine , it works pretty good . We went over that bridge going to Solvang , that's a pretty high and long bridge .

So you dry your veggies instead of canning them? I might go that route. canning is a pain in the ass, isn't it? Boiling jars, doing it just right or else you wind up poisoning yourself, etc. If it's just slapping it in a dehydrator...just dry it and slap it in a secure baggie and store in a dark place?

and I think I see my mistake Gracie , Ventura is very close to L.A. as I think about it [I think] . Anyway , I'll have to look at a map and get my directions straight .

and yes , drying is easy . Rinse the vegetable , slice it , dry it and store it . Canning is also pretty simple and safe but drying is easier for us .

I always knew you were a conservative Luddly.

I just like having money. I like keeping more of my own money. That's not "conservative" any more. Just the opposite from what RWs are now.

Actually, it is, and you are conservative. It isn't easy to admit, but that is ok.

Uh no. Its the "conservatives" (actually, Repub/GOP) who spent this country into near bankruptcy.

Wouldn't it be nice to have fiscal conservatives back in the R party?

We learned how to do a lot of work for ourselves, saved a mint on home, car, and appliance repairs. I do my own perms and color and mani/pedi's.

Like-new clothes that the kids outgrow go to charity, clothes with a few tiny stains get put in the "material bag" to get cut up and used for Halloween costumes, car quilts, cat beds, and so on.

I had a seamstress make my wedding dress, I made the headpiece. I made all the bouquets, corsages, boutonnieres, and flower arrangements. I made cassette tapes (this was before recordable CDs) with all the church and reception music, and my brother DJ'ed. We saved many thousands on the wedding - which was very nice - and the guests liked the music so much that my brother and I got jobs DJ'ing all of their weddings!

Last edited:
I'm pretty frugal. I'd definitely pick up a quarter, nickel or dime because I also pick up pennies laying on the ground.

One time when I was a a young broke student I was taking a piss at a rest stop and saw a dime in the urinal.

I was conflicted as what to do. After a minute or two I reached into my pocket and pulled out 40 cents in change and tossed it in the urinal saying, "For a dime no way but for 50 cents hell yes"

I was a little kid at the public swimming pool in about 1957 . I and a couple friends were leaving , going home and one of my friends saw a dollar bill so he scooped it up . I and the other kid just moaned because we hadn't found it . Anyway , the other kid saw something , ran over , scooped it up and it was another dollar bill . Then I was the guy that was moaning but then I saw another , ran over and scooped it up . What a coincidence for 3 kids , and a dollar for a 7 - 8 year old kid was big money in 1957 !!

Forum List

Back