Are you American?

These are the things you said:

Firstly, I can't comment on any countries except Malaysia and Indonesia.

I'm often asked if I'm American but, upon telling people I'm English, their harsh voice becomes friendly and happy.

Many times, I'm asked if I'm American but once they find out I'm not, their whole attitude changes for the better.

I'm often asked. Many times I'm asked.

When did 'often' and 'many' mean, the majority?
It depends who you talk to. Those more extreme people who are politically aware but unable so tell Americans apart from American foreign policy, do as I say.
As I tend to go to places where these people are, I get asked often, many times, a lot but not always, most of the time or all of the time.

These books start with very basic English but are designed for grade one and non native English speakers, so they may be above your level of ability.

images

I have had the opposite experience. I lived in Malaysia for 4 years. When people found out I was an American, they acted more friendly towards me. I had the same experience every where I went in South East Asia. It was only when I went to Europe that people would get all weird and agitated.

Funny that.

This is not an aspect of your OP, but something that you wish to do to somehow denigrate my experiences. Fact is, I was born into what you describe in your aforementioned narrative. The value of life was cheap, many of my contemporaries never made it past their 16th birthday.

While I have physically made it out of that environment I never truly have left in the form of giving back to those who are still there. In fact I am going to travel back there in a few weeks, I go often.

As a traveler I do not visit resorts, but enjoy exploring the land that I am traveling to I do not have to visit rubbish collectors to understand, empathize or possibly assist the inhabitants of the area. My last trip I did visit with business owners who I found to have been having a difficult time with the economy and patronized their stores which stimulates the economy and provides funds for rubbish collectors to have jobs.

However, even if I did vacation to a resort that is immaterial to your OP.

Nevertheless, all this is meaningless as it relates to your OP. I find the OP very disingenuous and a contrivance.

Now please go and make me a sammi with all this baloney you are serving here.

Ah, excellent, a reply with a few real details and little explanation.
I was also born in a rough environment but with a far better life expectancy than 16.
I would be interested to know where your extremely difficult place was.

Experiences in any given country make a massive difference to your perception of that place so your claims require background to validate them.
My first visit into Asia earned me a grand total of bugger all as far as knowledge is concerned. It wasn't until my next visit I managed to start putting the pieces together but so many never manage to get any insight into the country they visit or live in.
I was lucky because I got to know so many friendly locals who started to show me the nuts and bolts of their country.

I try to get to know as wide a cross section of society as I can so I may get a real idea of what makes the place tick.
The vast majority of richer, upper and middle class people either have no clue as to the rest of population or are doing their best to forget their own experiences and background.

Indonesia is really a first (Or maybe second) generation middle class, mostly made up of people from the villages who managed to get a better education and a better job.
However, there is also a large, semi educated population with political ambition but no way to achieve it though normal politics.
Joko, you may have heard of him, is an exception to this but he's one in a million.
That's where more radical Islam comes in to play, it's commonly more political than it is religious and that makes it bloody dangerous.
Basically, you have leaders with a lot of ambition and followers with not a lot of education, thus the followers' minds can be manipulated.

Back to the question I posed to you.
Unless you've wandered around in the areas those people tend to live, you won't be very likely to come across them, thus, probably would have no idea of their existence.
Most tourists and people on business trips would never come into contact with them.

You'll very probably have to google, "FBR" but I've met many of them and have a far better understanding than you can ever get from internet pages or as a visitor that doesn't get out properly. I don't believe they get a mention on Lonely planet.
J.I. probably don't either and I've met some of their men, now dead after a terrorist attack and the police action to get rid of the bastards.
You'll probably have to google them as well but I used to talk to them in a bookshop and met the policemen who killed them.
In fact, although it was by accident, I knew of their imminent deaths 24 hours before they did but I can't give details as to how that happened for security reasons.

Back to the issue in the OP.
I'm often asked if I'm American and their faces become so much more friendly when they find out I'm not.

They do this because, in my opinion, the Americans governments for many years have angered so many people with murderous foreign policy, many people no longer see the difference between Americans and your government.

Anyway, back to my question.
Mr Connery, can you detail your experiences with the FBR and/or J.I so we may hear your responses, based on experience and meetings with more extreme groups.

I have had the opposite experience. I lived in Malaysia for 4 years. When people found out I was an American, they acted more friendly towards me. I had the same experience every where I went in South East Asia. It was only when I went to Europe that people would get all weird and agitated.

Funny that.

Again, depends where you go.
In the cities, most are well educated and know Americans aren't responsible for Bush being a bastard and Obama turning into a cowardly drone murderer.
I know a couple of streets in Georgetown and Ipoh you wouldn't want to walk down at night.
Try wandering up to Lenggong, Perak and telling locals you're American.
No, don't, funerals are expensive and you'll need one.

Just for the unsure, that area and places like it are where the insurgents that cause so much trouble in Thailand live.
How do I know? I travelled there and found out for myself. That wasn't my intention but I have an enquiring mind and a sharp eye.
It doesn't take long before you find someone you can ask the right questions to.

Why did you feel the need to reference his faith there at the end of your post? Trying to add a dash of bigotry for dramatic effect?

I chose to reference his faith at the end of my post because that's how he describes himself...Muslim.

See, right under his name "Indofred," it says "Extremist Muslim."

You are the one who is interpreting my use of the term as derogatory. It is no more bigotry than if you were to refer to me as "Alaskan."

You want to ask yourself if you are being honest about that.

I can be totally honest about it. I struggle with my feelings about Muslims ever since 9/11. I want to hate them, but I know it's not right to paint all Muslims with that broad brush.

(not sounding much like a liberal, now, am I?)

In my heart, I know that most Muslims are probably decent people who wouldn't hurt a fly. But at the same time I have serious doubts about that. I KNOW Muslims (European muslims, mostly) who are just decent people trying to live a decent life.

But when I listen to someone like this Indofred talk, I begin to fall back toward my natural instinct, which is to distrust Muslims. I am an infidel and an American, after all, and some of them would think nothing of lopping off my head just for that alone. Something I would never do to them.

Okay, so you got me. I have issues with Muslims. I try not to, but I do. And the more I listen to this asshole talk, the more those issues are rearing their ugly heads.

I'm often asked if I'm American but, upon telling people I'm English, their harsh voice becomes friendly and happy.

Why do you think that is?

I don't know.

Perhaps because those people don't know the long, sorry and, let's face it, criminal history of the British Empire?

True, but which empire does not have a criminal history?

These are the things you said:

Firstly, I can't comment on any countries except Malaysia and Indonesia.

Many times, I'm asked if I'm American but once they find out I'm not, their whole attitude changes for the better.

I'm often asked. Many times I'm asked.

When did 'often' and 'many' mean, the majority?
It depends who you talk to. Those more extreme people who are politically aware but unable so tell Americans apart from American foreign policy, do as I say.
As I tend to go to places where these people are, I get asked often, many times, a lot but not always, most of the time or all of the time.

These books start with very basic English but are designed for grade one and non native English speakers, so they may be above your level of ability.

images

I also referred to the "tone" of your post. And I think many would agree that the "tone" was one that implied that dislike of Americans is widespread and you were wondering why that is. And we can all tell that you agree with those who dislike Americans. (Any posters who agree with my interpretation, please feel free to thank me so he can see I'm not alone in my impression of his post!)

And go ahead and insult my grasp of the English language, by the way, you will only make yourself look foolish.

I wonder how people think you´re American.

I'm white and speak English.
That leaves the possibility.

Quite what some of these more extreme people would do and how far they would go if I was American, I don't know but I suspect it would be less than fun.

President Bush didn't commit any war crimes, so your question is moot.

We'll have to agree to disagree with that one but, in my opinion, invading a country based on lies is a bit naughty.
Don't worry, I believe Blair should also face a firing squad for his part in that mess.

However, your opinion is not important but the opinion of the people in question is.

So has anyone else here had long chats with people from J.I. ir the F.B.R. are is everyone else still frantically searching google in an attempt to look like they know what they're talking about?

Funny that.

In the cities, most are well educated and know Americans aren't responsible for Bush being a bastard and Obama turning into a cowardly drone murderer.
I know a couple of streets in Georgetown and Ipoh you wouldn't want to walk down at night.

Just for the unsure, that area and places like it are where the insurgents that cause so much trouble in Thailand live.
How do I know? I travelled there and found out for myself. That wasn't my intention but I have an enquiring mind and a sharp eye.
It doesn't take long before you find someone you can ask the right questions to.

Never had any trouble there at all. Most locals I met, and lived with, dealt with me as an individual. It was always the prissy western Europeans that seemed to have their panties in a wad and hated Americans. It was kind of a chip on the shoulder attitude. Likely born from insecurities and a sense of inferiority.

Last edited:

Funny that.

Never had any trouble there at all. Most locals I met, and lived with, dealt with me as an individual. It was always the prissy western Europeans that seemed to have their panties in a wad and hated Americans. It was kind of a chip on the shoulder attitude. Likely born from insecurities and a sense of inferiority.

Ah, I see.
Perhaps you can describe your experiences in the northern towns and villages, not too far from the Thai border, where that attitude is most common.

What, never been?

I wonder how people think you´re American.

I'm white and speak English.
That leaves the possibility.

Quite what some of these more extreme people would do and how far they would go if I was American, I don't know but I suspect it would be less than fun.
That hurts. They can not point at others, if they will hurt you for an American nationality.

Forum List

Back